Fly Delta ios App "Chat With Us" feature

Old Jun 27, 19, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
Fly Delta ios App "Chat With Us" feature

Just noticed that my Fly Delta app now has a "chat with us" feature in the "more" tab that opens up iMessages in a mode called "business chats." This is all new to me, but seems cool. Has anyone used this? I hope it works as well as Twitter as it would be great to have access through messages while in-flight and not have to pay for internet. Or has this been around and I'm late to the party?
WidgetPlanes, Xeno and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Just noticed that my Fly Delta app now has a "chat with us" feature in the "more" tab that opens up iMessages in a mode called "business chats." This is all new to me, but seems cool. Has anyone used this? I hope it works as well as Twitter as it would be great to have access through messages while in-flight and not have to pay for internet. Or has this been around and I'm late to the party?
Looks new:

https://news.delta.com/delta-becomes...-go-assistance

"The option to message from an iOS device allows customers to connect with a live Delta representative to receive in-the-moment assistance, or with a Delta Virtual Assistant to get quick answers to frequently asked questions.

The new mobile assist tool is being rolled out in phases to some customers this summer to test preferences and demand, and is slated to be integrated into the Fly Delta app for all customers this fall."

I hope "for all customers this fall" means Android too, and not just "all iPhone users" in contrast to "rolled out in phases to some customers"
Old Jun 27, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
I hope "for all customers this fall" means Android too, and not just "all iPhone users" in contrast to "rolled out in phases to some customers"
Apple's Business Chat feature is proprietary to iOS. I'd expect Android will be supported (as it is already) via web-based chat on the Need Help page.
Old Jun 28, 19, 3:15 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
When we use chat, who do we get? What kinds of issues can they address like being too late with an international flight to make a connection? Will this be limited to DL aircraft?
Old Jun 28, 19, 4:48 am

I hope it works as well as Twitter as it would be great to have access through messages while in-flight and not have to pay for internet. Or has this been around and I'm late to the party?
This features uses the iOS server and messaging app, so you need to be able to access apple's server to message Delta via the app. Since DL wifi allows messaging on board, you should be able to use this feature, as long as you connect to the wifi and first activate free messaging.

Currently it says they reply within 1 minute, granted it is 7am on a relatively IRROPs free day so far. My guess is when you access the feature it Apple basic info to DL from DL app which includes your status information, and you probably go in a queue based on that. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if this integrates with whatever support software they use to handle all their other social media requests.
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Looks new:

The new mobile assist tool is being rolled out in phases to some customers this summer to test preferences and demand, and is slated to be integrated into the Fly Delta app for all customers this fall."
Nice. I am flying today, I will try to find a reason to use it even just to test it out. Glad I am part of a test group.
Old Jun 28, 19, 7:57 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Looks like this is a virtual assistant...but it does give you the option to pick "representative". My conversation was queued for about 5 minutes and I got a human. I confirmed that this is an alternate to Twitter. Also the message shows up in iMessage on my phone so I can access future conversations via that service.
Xeno and ConnieDee like this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
Looks like this is a virtual assistant...but it does give you the option to pick "representative". .
Oh really? That's not great. Curious: Do you have medallion status? And did they already know who you are or did you have to provide identifying info?

I'm wondering if Medallions will get virtual assistant or go directly to agent like with the phone line?
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Just decided to try it by checking flight status. It's virtual assistant, at least for GM, at least to start with:

Old Jun 28, 19, 8:28 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Oh really? That's not great. Curious: Do you have medallion status? And did they already know who you are or did you have to provide identifying info?

I'm wondering if Medallions will get virtual assistant or go directly to agent like with the phone line?
PM and they knew who I was...I have had good luck with Twitter response. I have a co worker who is Gold and his Twitter experiences are long and delayed. I guarantee they are placing people into a response time bases on status
Old Jun 28, 19, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by rucksack View Post
Apple's Business Chat feature is proprietary to iOS. I'd expect Android will be supported (as it is already) via web-based chat on the Need Help page.
Obviously I don't expect Android to be supported using a proprietary Apple protocol, but it's conceivable they could use an alternative chat system for Android. Maybe not likely by the "this fall" timeframe, granted, but...
Old Jun 28, 19, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL
Bizarrely, if you tell it that its automated response is wrong, itís unable to connect you to a representative at night ó it says someone will respond in the morning. Not sure how they staff Twitter but not this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 10:42 am
ryw

Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SSF556 View Post
PM and they knew who I was...I have had good luck with Twitter response. I have a co worker who is Gold and his Twitter experiences are long and delayed. I guarantee they are placing people into a response time bases on status
FO here, I suspect this is true, though I only have my limited experience to go on. My twitter account is linked with my skymiles account, but the last time I used it (on a non-IRROPS day) it took about 30-40 minutes for an initial response. The time before that (during a period of IRROPS generally but not for my flight) I sent in a message at 6 or 7pm and it didnít get a response until the next morning. Will be interesting to see what the response time is like for the new service based on different status levels
Old Jul 8, 19, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Glad to see this rolling out. Sadly, i haven't seen it hit my app yet. Seems to me that this may be easier than twitter, but maybe its no difference.
Old Jul 8, 19, 2:49 pm
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
I used it and got a response in less than 5 minutes. By far quicker and more efficient than twitter.

Search this Thread