Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Future of the 717 at Delta (consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of the 717 at Delta (consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Yep...usually now 2 flights on 717's. (CVG-DCA)
It will go to three flights in November. I'm just not sure why the lasr flight leaves so early at 5 pm.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
Wow. It seems like having IFE on those aircraft would reduce performance.
Could you elaborate on this? I am not sure what type of performance you're referring to.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
This is IFE upgrade is all well and good, but will I still be able to plug in my victrola and have access to my in-flight Pony Express pickup?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:17 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Could you elaborate on this? I am not sure what type of performance you're referring to.
Just additional weight on a smaller aircraft. Pretty simple although perhaps I am mistaken.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by jackvogt
Just additional weight on a smaller aircraft. Pretty simple although perhaps I am mistaken.
I believe one of the advantages of the Delta Flight Products AVOD is it weighs around a third of what the traditional Panasonic screens do.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by WSTC
This is IFE upgrade is all well and good, but will I still be able to plug in my victrola and have access to my in-flight Pony Express pickup?
Wifi? *shrug*
Old Sep 10, 2019, 6:38 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Remember NW had DC-9s that were 40+ years old, IIRC. If you maintain the airplanes well...plus they get rebuilt each major cycle. Seems like the economics of keeping the 717s is clear ready for another major cycle and the A220s were not purely for replacement of the older craft, but also expansion too!
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Wait, as a recent convert to DL (from AA), I'm confused...

You mean it's actually possible to add IFE when refitting aircraft?

Someone should really let the brain trust over at AA know!

(Full disclosure: I usually sit in the "who cares" category for IFE, but recently I've been using it on sub-one hour flights when I don't want to pull out my iPad or Laptop and it's too short to justify buying WiFi to do work).
rogo, KRSW, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The current 717 seats are already IFE compatible with a cutout in the big empty white space on the back of the seats.
Wait, so are we saying no cabin refit, just adding IFE?
Just curious if we are stuck with the same interior for the next 10 years... honestly not sure how all that works.

Love the 717 though.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Interesting development. Being that these aircraft are regularly deployed on flights less than 2 hours, I don't really understand why DL thinks they need additional IFE installed. I'm pretty sure they could survive to 2030 with steaming IFE or even nothing to be honest. I feel like that money could be put towards improving the passenger experience elsewhere.

Originally Posted by ethernal
Given that shorter segments are much easier to score upgrades on (less WFBF and fewer corporate travel policies allow F bookings for sub-2 hour flights), I'd say you'll still do just fine unless your comparison point is the E175.
I kind of disagree. I routinely see upgrade lists 30, 40, 50+ deep on short flights out of ATL. Beyond that, DL often sells upgrades on these short routes for very cheap ($39-$59 in some cases).
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
Interesting development. Being that these aircraft are regularly deployed on flights less than 2 hours, I don't really understand why DL thinks they need additional IFE installed. I'm pretty sure they could survive to 2030 with steaming IFE or even nothing to be honest. I feel like that money could be put towards improving the passenger experience elsewhere.
Agreed, as long as I have power I couldn't care less if the plane has IFE on short hops. Unless I have time for a movie I have enough shorter content on my phone. I too would rather see the money spent elsewhere.

However they must have some data to suggest you and I are not in the norm?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by cmd320

I kind of disagree. I routinely see upgrade lists 30, 40, 50+ deep on short flights out of ATL. Beyond that, DL often sells upgrades on these short routes for very cheap ($39-$59 in some cases).
Not sure whether that it on a 717 or not, but a 50 deep upgrade list is tiny on longer flights. My ATL-SJC flight earlier this week had 121 on the list for 0 seats (admittedly on a 739). I was #7 on the upgrade list as a Diamond Medallion on an M fare with a Reserve card and corporate priority.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by defrosted
Wait, so are we saying no cabin refit, just adding IFE?
Just curious if we are stuck with the same interior for the next 10 years... honestly not sure how all that works.

Love the 717 though.
I was actually looking over at the A.net thread on this and someone said that the FAA ordered DL to replace all seats on the 717 and MD-90 by 2022, so it does look like there will be new seats installed on the 717.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 10:52 pm

Not at all surprised Delta is keeping their MD-95s around for another 10 years given how long the MD-80s and 90s stuck around.
Spanish and WSTC like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by apodo77
Those are going to be some old airframes. Some are already 20 years old it looks like.
I was flying TWA as my primary carrier c1998-2001, and I remember when those birds (and new 757s) came into the fleet. They were very nice aircraft then, and still are. Always odd to fly again on them as DL birds.

Their would have been a bunch more of them, except demand for A/C fell dramatically with the economic downturn c2000 and then 9/11, and since it was an orphan line at Boeing, they went with the 737-700, which had lots of orders (SWA) but was actually a less efficient aircraft.
WSTC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.