Delta will open a SkyClub at Tokyo-Haneda

Old Sep 9, 19, 6:50 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: Delta DM HH Diamond
Posts: 87
Meatballs and chicken skewers FTW
Rhinolicious is offline  
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:30 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: DCA
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,642
Good move. Delta couldn't be the largest US carrier at HND and not offer a decent lounge option.
WWads is offline  
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:51 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: RDU
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 138
Originally Posted by Rhinolicious View Post
Meatballs and chicken skewers FTW
Definitely the beer machine too!
MonAmQB is online now  
Old Sep 9, 19, 7:55 pm
  #19  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,641
Originally Posted by Rhinolicious View Post
Meatballs and chicken skewers FTW
It would be hard to have worse food options in a lounge in Japan than tha current contract HND lounge that DL is using.

As I think I mentioned above, the lounge DL used when it first started HND service was so much better, although it was offered only for business class passengers.

The beer machine reminds me that I was always impressed by the number of apple computers lined up along the windows at the NRT SCs.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 9, 19, 9:33 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tokyo
Programs: DL Diamond, JL Sapphire
Posts: 1,382
It eventually made sense for this to happen, whether it was a ST lounge, KE club or an SC. Either way, I'm glad DL stepped up. With 50 new flights per day at HND to begin on March 29, I can't imagine JL and NH would want to continue playing host to non-alliance/JV partners.

The only question is, where will they build the SC? Or will they end up replacing one of the existing lounges?


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
BTW, does anyone know whether the AF gate is close to the gates DL uses at HND? OTOH, I would guess that it could be easy for AF and any other SkyTeam carriers at HND to change gates if needed to be reasonably close to the DL lounge, if desired, or alternatively for all we know DL might have negotiated different gates for its expanded service that would be relatively close to where the new lounge will be built,
In my experience, yes, they're both out in the 140s these days. I imagine AF switches to the SC when it opens.

Other airlines I see in there include MU, KE, CI, GA, VN and eventually SU and AZ, should they choose to fly to HND (Russia and Italy were given slots).


Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
It would be hard to have worse food options in a lounge in Japan than tha current contract HND lounge that DL is using.
I'll give you one: the NRT SC.
FireEmblemPride is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:18 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Posts: 4,222
Well finally. So hopefully they come up with a temporary option until the SC opens for those not in J (thankfully I am next month!)
NOLAnwGOLD is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:13 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 23
any current lounge options for diamond in coach?
DltaSchmlta is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:05 am
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 16,130
Originally Posted by DltaSchmlta View Post
any current lounge options for diamond in coach?
Yes. The whole airport is your lounge. Plenty of nice corners/hidden spaces to sleep, seemingly endless restrooms, and all sorts of food and drinks. Spend as long as you want, no 3 hour limit!
flyerCO is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:47 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 697
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
I would have bet substantial sums this would be a SkyTeam lounge and not Delta branded. Very cool!
Same, I am surprised but happy to have been wrong about this.
WillBarrett_68 is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:55 am
  #25  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,641
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Yes. The whole airport is your lounge. Plenty of nice corners/hidden spaces to sleep, seemingly endless restrooms, and all sorts of food and drinks. Spend as long as you want, no 3 hour limit!
Personally I find HND depressing. It's just not a very attractive terminal and I don't consider the shopping or F&B to be anything special. The current contract lounge that DL uses is also depressing.

IMO the best option would be to check in for your flight but avoid going through passport control and airport security any earlier than necessary, although sometimes there are lines. If one goes upstairs, there's an open area with some cultural exhibits, including a sloped pathway and some fake traditional buildings. You can see some of this if you look up from the check in area toward the big balcony that's apparently over the passport/security area. There are areas with shopsand a few restaurants. I found an outdoor deck that looks out more on the roadway than the tarmac, so I didn't find it interesting, and there weren't good city views either: wind, noise, and exhaust fumes. I've also explored the hotel lobby and restaurant connected to the international terminal and the paths to/from public transportation.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 6:55 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: DL FO (on my way to 360, baybee!)
Posts: 103
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Yes. The whole airport is your lounge. Plenty of nice corners/hidden spaces to sleep, seemingly endless restrooms, and all sorts of food and drinks. Spend as long as you want, no 3 hour limit!
This. With some airports in Asia, I'd rather spend time on the concourse and in the terminal than in a lounge. For example, the CI-lounge at TPE Terminal 2 is separated into a J-class only section and a Dynasty Flyer section. Unfortunately, the J-class only section is a basement with no windows. The terminal, however, was open and airy.
eneq is online now  
Old Sep 10, 19, 7:00 am
  #27  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 82,641
However, HND isn't new and shine-y at all. Even the flooring (IIRC dark turquoise carpet????) is old and worn and depressing, even if it's relatively clean and well maintained. The NRT terminal seemed much more pleasant and had better window shopping.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:39 am
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 16,130
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
This. With some airports in Asia, I'd rather spend time on the concourse and in the terminal than in a lounge. For example, the CI-lounge at TPE Terminal 2 is separated into a J-class only section and a Dynasty Flyer section. Unfortunately, the J-class only section is a basement with no windows. The terminal, however, was open and airy.
While not the cheapest option, @ TPE I book a room at Plaza Premium if I have more than 4, but less than 12 hrs between flights. Over 12 i normally book a hotel outside airport (normally Holiday Inn) and/or do some sightseeing.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:41 am
  #29  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: San Antonio
Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 16,130
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Personally I find HND depressing. It's just not a very attractive terminal and I don't consider the shopping or F&B to be anything special. The current contract lounge that DL uses is also depressing.

IMO the best option would be to check in for your flight but avoid going through passport control and airport security any earlier than necessary, although sometimes there are lines. If one goes upstairs, there's an open area with some cultural exhibits, including a sloped pathway and some fake traditional buildings. You can see some of this if you look up from the check in area toward the big balcony that's apparently over the passport/security area. There are areas with shopsand a few restaurants. I found an outdoor deck that looks out more on the roadway than the tarmac, so I didn't find it interesting, and there weren't good city views either: wind, noise, and exhaust fumes. I've also explored the hotel lobby and restaurant connected to the international terminal and the paths to/from public transportation.
I agree. My comment was meant to be sarcastic, especially considering DLs STE+ "third party" lounge policy.
flyerCO is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 10:10 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SEA, NW/DL 1.5Million Miler
Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
Posts: 3,262
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
I would have bet substantial sums this would be a SkyTeam lounge and not Delta branded. Very cool!
My thoughts as well. Perhaps the revenue DL would have received from SkyTeam partners was good reason enough than to push for Skyteam lounge. Am surprised but happy DL is moving forward.

Jiburi
jiburi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread