FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta will open a SkyClub at Tokyo-Haneda (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1986599-delta-will-open-skyclub-tokyo-haneda.html)

jrkmsp Sep 9, 2019 2:15 pm

Delta will open a SkyClub at Tokyo-Haneda

Good news from the folks at Delta this afternoon. With the closure of the Narita operation, Delta will open a SkyClub at Haneda airport, slated to open in summer 2020, a few months after new flights from Haneda launch. Here's what Delta says about the new club:

Just in time for summer, Delta will open a new Delta Sky Club in Haneda, with nearly 9,000 sq. ft. for guests to enjoy. While still in initial design phases, the Club will feature:
  • International and Japanese seasonal food offerings that are rotated regularly for customers, including healthy options
  • A full-service bar that includes complimentary drinks, along with seasonal cocktails and wine selected by Delta's Master Sommelier Andrea Robinson on the premium bar menu
  • Unique design elements and artwork throughout the Club reflecting the region culture and history
  • High-speed Wi-Fi, comfortable seating and power outlets at nearly every seat
  • Shower suites

Details: https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-clu...customers-2020

MonAmQB Sep 9, 2019 2:22 pm

This is great news! Hope it's as good as or better than the one they will close down in NRT.

Duke787 Sep 9, 2019 2:26 pm

Great news — was hoping this would come but wasn’t quite willing to bet the house on it.

Hopefully they’ll have a temporary solution offered until it opens

DeltaFan4Now Sep 9, 2019 2:47 pm

I’ll miss NRT, but so happy to hear about the HND SkyClub!

AANYC1981 Sep 9, 2019 3:43 pm

Great news and assuming NRT Skyclub employees will be offered transitions?

BenA Sep 9, 2019 3:50 pm

I would have bet substantial sums this would be a SkyTeam lounge and not Delta branded. Very cool!

MSPeconomist Sep 9, 2019 4:09 pm

No SkyDeck? The international terminal has a landside outdoor roof deck, accessible from the top floor cultural exhibit and shops level.

If it's a SC, then those with SC memberships should be able to enter, versus SkyTeam. Also, it DL will share it with VA/VS on a contract basis, SkyTeam branding would be awkward (unless the Virgins join the alliance first).

Does anyone know where it will be located? My guess would be on the way to the lounge DL currently uses at HND, on the way to the DL gates and up those escalators. There's currently some closed lounge space in there, but the signs seem to suggest that the other lounges are just temporarily closed for renovations IIRC.

eneq Sep 9, 2019 4:18 pm

With how clustered the HND departures are, I bet this Skyclub will be very busy in the mornings.

MSPeconomist Sep 9, 2019 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by eneq (Post 31507990)
With how clustered the HND departures are, I bet this Skyclub will be very busy in the mornings.

I bet it won't be open in the mornings unless DL can make money operating it as a contract lounge for other airlines or charging partners to use it.

eneq Sep 9, 2019 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31508001)
I bet it won't be open in the mornings unless DL can make money operating it as a contract lounge for other airlines or charging partners to use it.

Oops, I was looking at the US-departure times. The afternoons are probably when it will fill up.

BenA Sep 9, 2019 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31507968)
No SkyDeck? The international terminal has a landside outdoor roof deck, accessible from the top floor cultural exhibit and shops level.

If it's a SC, then those with SC memberships should be able to enter, versus SkyTeam. Also, it DL will share it with VA/VS on a contract basis, SkyTeam branding would be awkward (unless the Virgins join the alliance first).

Does anyone know where it will be located? My guess would be on the way to the lounge DL currently uses at HND, on the way to the DL gates and up those escalators. There's currently some closed lounge space in there, but the signs seem to suggest that the other lounges are just temporarily closed for renovations IIRC.

Neither Virgin Atlantic nor Virgin Australia fly to Japan, and they haven’t done so in the recent past, either. Plus, Japan routes wouldn’t be covered under the JV in either case. I don’t think cobranding concerns with them are part of the decision process here.

I do know from personal experience AF uses the (excellent) JAL lounge at HND; will be interesting to see if they switch. I’d guess not...

maverickar15 Sep 9, 2019 4:48 pm

Great news...finally bit the bullet to jump ship from United since moving to Seattle.

The only issue is that there are so many good restaurants at HND, so it will take me a while to get tired of the public offerings.

MSPeconomist Sep 9, 2019 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31508066)
Neither Virgin Atlantic nor Virgin Australia fly to Japan, and they haven’t done so in the recent past, either. Plus, Japan routes wouldn’t be covered under the JV in either case. I don’t think cobranding concerns with them are part of the decision process here.

I do know from personal experience AF uses the (excellent) JAL lounge at HND; will be interesting to see if they switch. I’d guess not...

When DL/PMNW was having IROPs at NRT, I liked going next door to the AF lounge until it closed.

flyerCO Sep 9, 2019 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by BenA (Post 31508066)

I'd guess they'd run out the current contract and then switch to DL.

MSPeconomist Sep 9, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 31508127)
I'd guess they'd run out the current contract and then switch to DL.

Is that the lounge that DL used when they first starting serving HND with the night departures?

BTW, does anyone know whether the AF gate is close to the gates DL uses at HND? OTOH, I would guess that it could be easy for AF and any other SkyTeam carriers at HND to change gates if needed to be reasonably close to the DL lounge, if desired, or alternatively for all we know DL might have negotiated different gates for its expanded service that would be relatively close to where the new lounge will be built,