Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy MQM with miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Buy MQM with miles?

I'm 10,000 MQM short of requalifying for silver next year. I have the MQD. Can I buy the miles I need with skymiles or amex points? Any other strategy besides mileage runs?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RBirns
I'm 10,000 MQM short of requalifying for silver next year. I have the MQD. Can I buy the miles I need with skymiles or amex points? Any other strategy besides mileage runs?
You could buy your mileage run ticket with “pay with miles” and earn MQMs that way.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cre95

You could buy your mileage run ticket with “pay with miles” and earn MQMs that way.
However, OP would need to actually fly the ticket, not just buy it, to get the MQMs.

For about 10,000 MQMs, OP might be able to buy a discounted PS or D1 ticket through the AmEx IAP and pay (partially or fully) with AmEx MR points. AFAIK this requires a regular Plat or Centurion charge card.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, OP would need to actually fly the ticket, not just buy it, to get the MQMs.

For about 10,000 MQMs, OP might be able to buy a discounted PS or D1 ticket through the AmEx IAP and pay (partially or fully) with AmEx MR points. AFAIK this requires a regular Plat or Centurion charge card.
can you explain that a little more?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by RBirns
You could keep an eye out for a credit card that has 10k MQM as part of the bonus offer.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:39 am

DL Reserve for Business has a 10,000 MQM bonus if you spend $4,000 on the card. No need to fly anywhere.
DiverDave and aryan like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
I bought a ticket with Sky miles, but didn't get MQM.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
I bought a ticket with Sky miles, but didn't get MQM.
AWARD tickets don't earn RDMs/MQMs/MQDs but tickets done as PAY WITH MILES do as you're booking a regular ticket (no worries about award inventory) and using RDMs to pay for part or all of the fare (or upgrade cost) at a rate of approximately one cent per mile. They're very different even though in both cases you're literally using your miles to get a ticket.
aryan and Love_Travel like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
so it is already september. and you're only 60% of the way. is your flying going to increase so much next year that having silver will be worth going through the hassle of whatever you're trying to do here?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatt
so it is already september. and you're only 60% of the way. is your flying going to increase so much next year that having silver will be worth going through the hassle of whatever you're trying to do here?
Yes, I expect to fly more next year.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
In December, Delta normally does have the offer for one to buy MQMs. You can pay for them on an AMEX and then pay the charge off/down using AMEX points
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
In December, Delta normally does have the offer for one to buy MQMs. You can pay for them on an AMEX and then pay the charge off/down using AMEX points
IIRC these offers, with their personalized prices, aren't announced until January, when it's too late to otherwise earn MQMs etc. for the previous year. They also tend to be very expensive for the value of the status that one is buying this way, although any excess MQMs do become rollover for the new year. Also, there's no guarantee that DL will continue to do this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
Ultra expensive!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC these offers, with their personalized prices, aren't announced until January, when it's too late to otherwise earn MQMs etc. for the previous year. They also tend to be very expensive for the value of the status that one is buying this way, although any excess MQMs do become rollover for the new year. Also, there's no guarantee that DL will continue to do this.
Thus my use of the word NORMALLY
And it has begun each year in December, never announced in January
in fact for at least the last few years if not longer, you could still buy MQMs in February to count for the previous year.

Last edited by OneHourPhoto; Sep 7, 2019 at 6:22 pm
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, National EE, AS MVP Gold 75K, AC 75K
You're better saving the money and not get status and then try and do a status match next year. Silver doesn't really get your much.
FBplatinum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.