FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Buy MQM with miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1986302-buy-mqm-miles.html)

RBirns Sep 7, 2019 7:54 am

Buy MQM with miles?

I'm 10,000 MQM short of requalifying for silver next year. I have the MQD. Can I buy the miles I need with skymiles or amex points? Any other strategy besides mileage runs?

cre95 Sep 7, 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by RBirns (Post 31500480)
I'm 10,000 MQM short of requalifying for silver next year. I have the MQD. Can I buy the miles I need with skymiles or amex points? Any other strategy besides mileage runs?

You could buy your mileage run ticket with “pay with miles” and earn MQMs that way.

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2019 8:15 am

Originally Posted by cre95 (Post 31500513)

You could buy your mileage run ticket with “pay with miles” and earn MQMs that way.

However, OP would need to actually fly the ticket, not just buy it, to get the MQMs.

For about 10,000 MQMs, OP might be able to buy a discounted PS or D1 ticket through the AmEx IAP and pay (partially or fully) with AmEx MR points. AFAIK this requires a regular Plat or Centurion charge card.

RBirns Sep 7, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31500520)
However, OP would need to actually fly the ticket, not just buy it, to get the MQMs.

For about 10,000 MQMs, OP might be able to buy a discounted PS or D1 ticket through the AmEx IAP and pay (partially or fully) with AmEx MR points. AFAIK this requires a regular Plat or Centurion charge card.

can you explain that a little more?

bloc0102 Sep 7, 2019 8:30 am

Originally Posted by RBirns (Post 31500480)

You could keep an eye out for a credit card that has 10k MQM as part of the bonus offer.

sydneyracquelle Sep 7, 2019 8:39 am

DL Reserve for Business has a 10,000 MQM bonus if you spend $4,000 on the card. No need to fly anywhere.

Love_Travel Sep 7, 2019 9:11 am

I bought a ticket with Sky miles, but didn't get MQM.

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2019 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Love_Travel (Post 31500660)
I bought a ticket with Sky miles, but didn't get MQM.

AWARD tickets don't earn RDMs/MQMs/MQDs but tickets done as PAY WITH MILES do as you're booking a regular ticket (no worries about award inventory) and using RDMs to pay for part or all of the fare (or upgrade cost) at a rate of approximately one cent per mile. They're very different even though in both cases you're literally using your miles to get a ticket.

gitismatt Sep 7, 2019 9:54 am

so it is already september. and you're only 60% of the way. is your flying going to increase so much next year that having silver will be worth going through the hassle of whatever you're trying to do here?

RBirns Sep 7, 2019 10:21 am

Originally Posted by gitismatt (Post 31500798)
so it is already september. and you're only 60% of the way. is your flying going to increase so much next year that having silver will be worth going through the hassle of whatever you're trying to do here?

Yes, I expect to fly more next year.

OneHourPhoto Sep 7, 2019 3:49 pm

In December, Delta normally does have the offer for one to buy MQMs. You can pay for them on an AMEX and then pay the charge off/down using AMEX points

MSPeconomist Sep 7, 2019 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto (Post 31501771)
In December, Delta normally does have the offer for one to buy MQMs. You can pay for them on an AMEX and then pay the charge off/down using AMEX points

IIRC these offers, with their personalized prices, aren't announced until January, when it's too late to otherwise earn MQMs etc. for the previous year. They also tend to be very expensive for the value of the status that one is buying this way, although any excess MQMs do become rollover for the new year. Also, there's no guarantee that DL will continue to do this.

sydneyracquelle Sep 7, 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto (Post 31501771)

Ultra expensive!

OneHourPhoto Sep 7, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31501866)
IIRC these offers, with their personalized prices, aren't announced until January, when it's too late to otherwise earn MQMs etc. for the previous year. They also tend to be very expensive for the value of the status that one is buying this way, although any excess MQMs do become rollover for the new year. Also, there's no guarantee that DL will continue to do this.

Thus my use of the word NORMALLY
And it has begun each year in December, never announced in January
in fact for at least the last few years if not longer, you could still buy MQMs in February to count for the previous year.

GateGuardian Sep 7, 2019 8:51 pm

You're better saving the money and not get status and then try and do a status match next year. Silver doesn't really get your much.