Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

At what age can delta seat a child by them selves?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

my sister and brother in law are traveling to London today from Atlanta (currently en route to Atlanta)

they bought basic economy and are traveling with 3 children (7, 4, and 2). These are the seats they gave them, which would have the 7 year old sitting alone. Is this allowed or will the gate agents switch their seats?
rufflesinc likes this.

Last edited by omaralt; Aug 10, 2019 at 2:39 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Oh boy. Here we go.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should move him close to the parents. Ideally, next to one of them, the other parent seated with the other two kids.
They would charge a fee if no parent was traveling with a 7 year old, because by their own rules she needs care that can't be expected from a stranger sitting next to him by chance. They wouldn't let her travel unaccompanied by an adult, so they charge the fee to accompany the minor child.
Finally, my main problem with seperate seating like this is in an emergency, the parent is likely to impede other passengers as he wants to get his kid to safety - you know, be a parent. FAs will nag passengers to no end if p their baggage doesn't fit under the seat because it might impede other passengers in case of an emergency. This is far more serious.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Oh boy. Here we go.
Prepare popcorn.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Oh boy. Here we go.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Prepare popcorn.
lol not looking for any controversy. Just wanna know if there’s a set age where a child is not allowed to be seated alone
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
my sister and brother in law are traveling to London today from Atlanta (currently en route to Atlanta)

they bought basic economy and are traveling with 3 children (7, 4, and 2). These are the seats they gave them, which would have the 7 year old sitting alone. Is this allowed or will the gate agents switch their seats?
I was curious and looked through Delta's website to see if they post details and ages that would help answer this question. The most I found was Delta's cheery: "We're here to help families take flight."

BUT.... they do go on to say that families should "... know the details about flying with infants and children."

Delta clearly posts that Basic Economy DOES NOT come with pre-assigned seats.

During the ticketing process for basic economy I really wish Delta would REQUIRE mandatory seat selection for minors to a certain age next to an adult in the ticketed party. Yes, RIGHT AT BOOKING FOR BASIC ECONOMY adjacent seat assignments should be MANDATORY when there are minor children below an acceptable age traveling.

And those seat assignments should carry a fee equal to the difference between basic economy and main cabin.

Basic economy fares are discounted because the ability to select seat assignments is not included in the discounted price. Delta is clear about this, so I'm not sure why parents are not.

Or maybe Delta should prohibit the sale of Basic Economy tickets to minors, so confused parents aren't disappointed.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rbt001
I was curious and looked through Delta's website to see if they post details and ages that would help answer this question. The most I found was Delta's cheery: "We're here to help families take flight."

BUT.... they do go on to say that families should "... know the details about flying with infants and children."

During the ticketing process for basic economy I really wish Delta would REQUIRE mandatory seat selection for minors to a certain age next to an adult in the ticketed party. Yes, RIGHT AT BOOKING FOR BASIC ECONOMY adjacent seat assignments should be MANDATORY when there are minor children below an acceptable age traveling.

And those seat assignments should carry a fee equal to the difference between basic economy and main cabin.

Basic economy fares are discounted because the ability to select seat assignments is not included in the discounted price. Delta is clear about this, so I'm not sure why parents are not.

Or maybe Delta should prohibit the sale of Basic Economy tickets to minors, so confused parents aren't disappointed.
I agree. Delta shouldn’t allow those traveling with minors to purchase basic economy. And trust me I gave my sister a lesson in ticketing. It’s good to remind yourself how little most people know about these things
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lol not looking for any controversy. Just wanna know if there’s a set age where a child is not allowed to be seated alone
Typically 15 years and younger flying without an adult must pay for UMC. Logic says a 12 year old could sit widely seperated from their parent without involving their seatmates. But the emergency issue is still out there frustrating the airline's attempt to monetize parenthood.
​​​​​
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The same parents who insist that the family be seated together on BE tickets for other trips will get FC award tickets for the parents and coach award tickets for their kids or voluntarily make similar arrangements that put the adults in a premium cabin while the kids fend for themselves back in coach.

Another easy solution would be to charge the UM fee for every child under 15 at the time of purchase for BE fares.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
To answer OP's narrow question, there is no requirement that a US carrier seat a child adjacent to a parent.

However, DL will, if necessary, involuntarily move another passenger in order to assure that a 7 YOA is adjacent to a parent. This does not mean that the family as a whole is seated together, it could mean that the seats are across an aisle, and it also means that the adult is moved to one of the seats at the rear of the aircraft which are held for oddball situations.

If it were my 7 YOA, I would pay the money to assign seats.

DL goes out of its way to warn passengers about the perils of BE. No need to overcomplicate things. There is only so far a business can go in telling a parent how much she ought to care about her kid.
altabello likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Update

so much for my sister promising to never buying basic economy. They went to the gate and the agent gave them the bulkhead row. They are traveling with a lap child as well so I’m sure that helped her case. The plane was 100% full so I imagine there will be some upset passengers who were in the bulkhead that are now in a middle seat
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:24 pm

Update

so much for my sister promising to never buying basic economy. They went to the gate and the agent gave them the bulkhead row. They are traveling with a lap child as well so I’m sure that helped her case. The plane was 100% full so I imagine there will be some upset passengers who were in the bulkhead that are now in a middle seat
That's disgusting. I hope the displaced passengers complain. The GA is just *teaching* the parents to do the same thing again.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
The issue is the question, if not purposely or knowingly done so, creates the controversy because a family bought a type of ticket knowing it didn't come with advance seat assignments is now in a position of possibly having to request a seat swap with a passenger who did not buy a Basic Economy ticket so they could select a seat in advance. Chances of getting middle seats spread throughout the cabin is also high when on BE so the chances thus become high that said passenger who is being asked to swap is being asked to swap from a aisle or window to a middle seat.

Edit: sounds like this is exactly what happened and why people were making remarks like "get the popcorn"...….
MSPeconomist, strickerj and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Rbt001

I agree. Delta shouldn’t allow those traveling with minors to purchase basic economy. And trust me I gave my sister a lesson in ticketing. It’s good to remind yourself how little most people know about these things
Disagree. Delta should seat parents next to children under a certain age next to each other if on the same pnr. Other airlines (including AA) are able to do it.
rufflesinc, jdrtravel and rickg523 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP

Disagree. Delta should seat parents next to children under a certain age next to each other if on the same pnr. Other airlines (including AA) are able to do it.

There's an easy way to do this - block out the last two rows of the plane for families in BE.

(and decrease pitch to 28" while they're at it)

WNK,BNK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.