FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - At what age can delta seat a child by them selves?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:47 pm
Rbt001

Originally Posted by omaralt
my sister and brother in law are traveling to London today from Atlanta (currently en route to Atlanta)

they bought basic economy and are traveling with 3 children (7, 4, and 2). These are the seats they gave them, which would have the 7 year old sitting alone. Is this allowed or will the gate agents switch their seats?
I was curious and looked through Delta's website to see if they post details and ages that would help answer this question. The most I found was Delta's cheery: "We're here to help families take flight."

BUT.... they do go on to say that families should "... know the details about flying with infants and children."

Delta clearly posts that Basic Economy DOES NOT come with pre-assigned seats.

During the ticketing process for basic economy I really wish Delta would REQUIRE mandatory seat selection for minors to a certain age next to an adult in the ticketed party. Yes, RIGHT AT BOOKING FOR BASIC ECONOMY adjacent seat assignments should be MANDATORY when there are minor children below an acceptable age traveling.

And those seat assignments should carry a fee equal to the difference between basic economy and main cabin.

Basic economy fares are discounted because the ability to select seat assignments is not included in the discounted price. Delta is clear about this, so I'm not sure why parents are not.

Or maybe Delta should prohibit the sale of Basic Economy tickets to minors, so confused parents aren't disappointed.