Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta exiting NRT, ending NRT-SIN and moving MNL flight to ICN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Who knows, maybe you'll get to be the on the last ever DL flight into NRT, and you can make history!!! And make your connection too!! Fingers crossed for you. I suspect we'll find out pretty soon (but I have no inside information, just a guess)
Thanks. I'll be happy if I can just get to NRT for my connection, whether or not I make history, but that would be kinda cool.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:17 am

Location: DL: PM/2M; UA: 1K; AA: Plat/2MM; SQ: PPS; US: Plat; Starwood: Plat; Hilton: Diam Hyatt: Diam; Loews Plat; Avis: Chair.
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Don't think it has anything to do with money, more so than they just happened to be one of the two cities that don't originate from the US. So, if you need to get to SIN, you can always route via ICN. My guess is that once more A330-900s come to DL property, they can think about LAX/SEA-SIN (one not both) in the future.
I hope you are a really good swimmer!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hfly
Having frequented Japan for decades, I am always at a loss to explain this flyertalk fascination about NW's "good name" in Japan! Perhaps up until the 1980s this meant something, however with the inferior aircraft that NW flew, and continued flying, the only plus was that NW often offered a lot of cheap consolidator deals to travel agents, that is about it. Aircraft have changed, patterns have changed. Wake island was also an incredibly important hub in the flying boat days...... Things change..... Up until a decade ago a NRT hub worked, not anymore, same as FRA, CDG or LHR, which are other cities that I can recall in recent memory had fifth freedom hub allowances for US carriers.....
Whenever I hear about NW’s reputation in Japan I am left to assume it was a different airline than the one that routinely had such a poor reputation in the US. The whole idea is, well, really funny.

Besides, it doesn’t matter. Though some isolated routes remain, I can’t think of a single fifth freedom hub that has survived. JV partnerships have made them entirely uncompetitive. It has absolutely nothing to do with not understanding the market or loss of loyalty or anything else. It is simply the case that the aviation industry has fundamentally changed.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:20 pm

Just flew SEA-NRT and SIN-NRT-SEA.

Few observations.

Change to HND would be welcome for Tokyo bound pax. Not having to spend 1 hour on Narita Express and then figuring out how to get reserved seats on your return ticket is a huge plus (which ended up being not necessary but they do not tell you).

SIN-NRT is a sad loss, but timing is horrible, 5:45am! I understand that it's timed for connections but 6:45 would work just as well for most. Delta required to check your bag 1 hour prior, which is not really necessary in SIN. I checked in around 4:35am and was probably last one. Many grumpy sleepy pax on the plane.

Without SIN-NRT and new timing of ICN-SEA there is just no good 1-stop option from SIN to SEA. 11am Korean SIN-ICN used to connect with DL metal ICN-SEA but not with new timing on 330neo, which is pushed to 6:20pm instead of 7:20pm. KE metal ICN-SEA leaves even earlier. It would be great to have 7am-8am SIN-ICN departure on KE (or DL) but there is none.

​​​​So much for SEA Asian hub if you can not even fly SIN-XXX-SEA with a reasonable connection. I am just taking SQ next time.

Last edited by AntonS; Aug 20, 2019 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by AntonS

Few observations.

Change to HND would be welcome for Tokyo bound pax. Not having to spend 1 hour on Narita Express and then figuring out how to get reserved seats on your return ticket is a huge plus (which ended up being not necessary but they do not tell you).

SIN-NRT is a sad loss, but timing is horrible, 5:45am! I understand that it's timed for connections but 6:45 would work just as well for most. Delta required to check your bag 1 hour prior, which is not really necessary in SIN. I checked in around 4:35am and was probably last one. Many grumpy sleepy pax on the plane.

Without SIN-NRT and new timing of ICN-SEA there is just no good 1-stop option from SIN to SEA. 11am Korean SIN-ICN used to connect with DL metal ICN-SEA but not with new timing on 330neo, which is pushed to 6:20pm instead of 7:20pm. KE metal ICN-SEA leaves even earlier. It would be great to have 7am-8am SIN-ICN departure on KE (or DL) but there is none.

​​​​So much for SEA Asian hub if you can not even fly SIN-XXX-SEA with a reasonable connection. I am just taking SQ next time.
SQ is starting SIN-SEA nonstop next month. I'll be on a SEA-SIN leg in October, actually.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by alman84
SQ is starting SIN-SEA nonstop next month. I'll be on a SEA-SIN leg in October, actually.
Yes, I'm aware of it, but I think SQ's departure from SEA is at 9 AM in the morning? I would prefer a red-eye departure from SEA to SIN.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Looking in the Spring (which is when SIN-NRT ends) there's a pretty convenient SIN-ICN-SEA. This is about the shortest possible travel time between SIN and SEA without having a nonstop. Personally, I'd prefer a bit more time on the ground, but if DL is trying to compete with a non-stop on that route, I guess they feel like they need to make the connection be quick.

Old Aug 21, 2019, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Looking in the Spring (which is when SIN-NRT ends) there's a pretty convenient SIN-ICN-SEA. This is about the shortest possible travel time between SIN and SEA without having a nonstop. Personally, I'd prefer a bit more time on the ground, but if DL is trying to compete with a non-stop on that route, I guess they feel like they need to make the connection be quick.

This is not available until April when ICN-SEA goes back to usual 7:20pm departure. I have done this connection before and it worked. For some reason Delta moved ICN-SEA to 6:20pm in autumn, which makes connection impossible until April. Maybe they forgot about time change? I think ICN-SEA was always 7:20pm both summary and winter.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes, I'm aware of it, but I think SQ's departure from SEA is at 9 AM in the morning? I would prefer a red-eye departure from SEA to SIN.
Pretty close - it looks like a 10:40 AM departure from SEA, at least according to the itinerary I was booked on.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:11 pm

Few observations.

SIN-PVG-SEA on MU/DL doesn't have a reasonable connection?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bsagator
SIN-PVG-SEA on MU/DL doesn't have a reasonable connection?
Not sure anyone would consider a connection involving PVG or MU a reasonable option.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Not sure anyone would consider a connection involving PVG or MU a reasonable option.
There are plenty of people who have made that connection that consider it quite reasonable. The MU/PVG hate is way overstated, and quite unreasonable. I've connected there 6 times in the past 1.5 yrs, and did not have one issue, and that was going from MU->DL and MU->MU.The only negative I remember is when the armrest fell off my seat in J, but that was on a DL 77L PVG-LAX.
Akiestar and BenA like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Maybe they forgot about time change?
Delta usually does forget about this and posts the time change as a schedule change in the winter time.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by alman84
Pretty close - it looks like a 10:40 AM departure from SEA, at least according to the itinerary I was booked on.
Maybe if the price is right. I have no problem sleeping in Y so a red eye would make it easier to bear the ultra long flight.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: Delta DM, DL MM
I wish it would either leave later or be a red eye. 9 am is too early to make a connection from most places, so it would necessitate an overnight in SEA for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.