Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tablets On Board (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tablets On Board (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:43 pm
Original Poster
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
The oddest part is on a recent flight I specifically said its a tablet and was told I dont care its over 2 lbs put it away (quite rudely told this so I guess they were mad I questioned them?) which is why I originally commented no iPad or surface is over 1.5 lbs in this post.

on this particular flight the crew was less then stellar so it does not surprise me they had this attitude. Im really starting to doubt DLs assertion they hire only the top 1% of people who apply to be FAs....
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:45 pm
Original Poster
Suspended

Originally Posted by TBD
None of those three letters represent "damage".

I'll let you look up the force necessary to cause injury. In the meantime, I'll leave my position at: I think you overstepped.
the bad news is the damage you suffer by being hit by a laptop. The good news is the early retirement you get from the lawsuit with DL since agents of their company did not follow rules resulting in said injury.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
The oddest part is on a recent flight I specifically said “it’s a tablet” and was told “I don’t care it’s over 2 lbs put it away” (quite rudely told this so I guess they were mad I questioned them?)
A lot of FAs think it is appropriate to talk to passengers the same way parents talk to young children.

I can definitely believe only 1% of job applications for FA are successful. The statistic is meaningless unless we know the quality of the applicant pool, which DL does not publicize.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:50 pm
TBD
10 Years on Site

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by vincentharris

the bad news is the damage you suffer by being hit by a laptop. The good news is the early retirement you get from the lawsuit with DL since agents of their company did not follow rules resulting in said injury.
Perhaps. But many laptops are less than 2lbs. If that is indeed the limit (I don't recall), then the seat opponent who types through takeoff may have legitimately done nothing wrong (same for the FA, who is unlikely to have a scale).
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:52 pm

[MENTION=280224]TBD[/MENTION], here's an article titled The 7 Lightest Laptops in 2019. I cannot guarantee its accuracy, but all the models on here are over 2 lbs.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/lightest-laptop/
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TBD
Perhaps. But many laptops are less than 2lbs. If that is indeed the limit (I don't recall), then the seat opponent who types through takeoff may have legitimately done nothing wrong (same for the FA, who is unlikely to have a scale).
After the flight, I looked up technical specs for the ThinkPad and none are under two pounds. Some are close to five pounds. Moreover the machine in question looked nothing like a tablet or a MacBook, etc. It was not a small laptop.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 4:59 pm
Original Poster
Suspended

Originally Posted by davie355

I can definitely believe only 1% of job applications for FA are successful. The statistic is meaningless unless we know the quality of the applicant pool, which DL does not publicize.
True plus anybody can say the top X of X. Its a meaningless marketing number that anybody can make up.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 5:25 pm
1M100 Nights10 Years on Site

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I heard the 2 lb. rule before landing today. Flight attendant did not come through with a scale, however.
bloc0102 likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Anyone can claim that their machine weighs less than two pounds.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 5:30 pm

I never had a problem; of course its not that serious to me..
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 7:08 pm

I think you are very unlucky. I've never had a problem with a tablet.
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 7:21 pm
30 Countries Visited40 Nights3M15 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Anyone can claim that their machine weighs less than two pounds.
The specs on my surface are 1.7 lbs
Old Jul 29, 2019 | 9:49 pm

Programs: Enrich
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I had an issue with my iPad on China Eastern intra-China, but I've never been told to put it away by Delta staff.

it depends on the regulation that the country which aircraft registered with. Some country regulator requires you to turn off all the electronic, some country does not.
Old Jul 30, 2019 | 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
I saw an FA require an unhappy passenger to stow his iPad Pro for takeoff and landing. The passenger claimed it wasnt required; FA responded that she is free to require items to be stowed at her discretion.
Old Jul 30, 2019 | 7:32 am
10 Years on Site

Programs: DL DM
I guess I choose to not have a disagreement with a crew member, it won't likely end well. I think we have all been on flights where people have their tray tables down, laptops out or don't return
their seat to the upright and locked position for take off and landing. Some crew members address the issue and some choose to avoid confrontation. It is the inconsistency of policies or enforcement, just like any industry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.