Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tablets On Board (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing)

Tablets On Board (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing)

Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's a safety rule, presumably vetted by the FAA, it shouldn't be discretionary. My safety matters to me, even if we're talking about very low probabilities.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would unhesitatingly report it to both DL and DOT. Safety issues are a lot different than whether the hot towels are hot enough or whether there is enough dressing with the salad.

DOT does follow up safety complaints and requires the carrier to report back to DOT.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by davie355
A lot of FAs think it is appropriate to talk to passengers the same way parents talk to young children.
On the flip side a lot of passengers think the rules don't apply to them. Also, even without that, it's easy for even passengers who want to be compliant, to be focused on whatever they're reading/listening/playing on their phone etc that it takes a while to realize that someone is actually talking to you.

So while I agree it's generally undesirable for the FAs to speak that way, in some cases it's the only way to get people to pay attention and follow instructions.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I saw an FA require an unhappy passenger to stow his iPad Pro for takeoff and landing. The passenger claimed it wasn’t required; FA responded that she is free to require items to be stowed at her discretion.

I have one of the big iPad Pros and since they do stick out, I usually either stick it in the seat back (and it will look like documents since its in a padded FedEx envelope) or either in or under my reading material on my lap so it doesn't draw attention when they are doing that final walkthrough.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. I have never been asked by a FA to put it away on Delta.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:12 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by Often1
I would unhesitatingly report it to both DL and DOT. Safety issues are a lot different than whether the hot towels are hot enough or whether there is enough dressing with the salad.

DOT does follow up safety complaints and requires the carrier to report back to DOT.
Have you ever actually seen this work? It seems like the FA could just respond, "It looked small and I'm not given a scale to check the weight limit" and there's nothing that DL or the DOT could do about it. Case closed.

I'm obviously not saying that people should do whatever I want, but I'm also not about to tell a FA how to do his/her job or spend time sending a complaint to the government for something so trivial.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
I travel with a ThinkPad X1 Carbon laptop which is about 2.5 lbs. I use it gate to gate on 90% of my flights without any comments from FAs.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by TBD
None of those three letters represent "damage".

I'll let you look up the force necessary to cause injury. In the meantime, I'll leave my position at: I think you overstepped.
In the extreme case of a small object hitting your eye it would take relatively little force.

As a practical case, I once had a toe broken by a standard 4.5 lb brick falling from about 3 feet. I would say a broken toe constitutes damage, And the brick would be similar to the the larger laptop that MSP described.

IMO, the FA was clearly wrong in her case. OTOH, in the case of large pad and very small notebooks, it has to be an FA call if it is too large. It is a judgement call, and the pax should abide.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I guess I choose to not have a disagreement with a crew member, it won't likely end well. I think we have all been on flights where people have their tray tables down, laptops out or don't return
their seat to the upright and locked position for take off and landing. Some crew members address the issue and some choose to avoid confrontation. It is the inconsistency of policies or enforcement, just like any industry.
and that is the problem, no matter how right you are on flights now you can be charged with a felony, be recorded and shamed online by half of the flight, and have your flight ruined because somebody is on a power trip.

One of the best lessons I learned in life is "what hills am I willing to die on?" and just try my best to let things go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.