Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tablets On Board (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

Am I just very unlucky or do other people have FAs who insist on you putting tablets away during taxi/take off/landing? (Surfaces, ipads, etc)

id say 25-35% of the time if you tell them it’s a tablet they say never mind but the other 65-75% of the time I’m told they are either over 2 lbs or it’s an FAA regulation that all devices besides phones can’t be out. (Fun fact? no iPad or Surface is over 2 lbs)

Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Am I just very unlucky or do other people have FAs who insist on you putting tablets away during taxi/take off/landing? (Surfaces, ipads, etc)

id say 25-35% of the time if you tell them it’s a tablet they say never mind but the other 65-75% of the time I’m told they are either over 2 lbs or it’s an FAA regulation that all devices besides phones can’t be out. (Fun fact? no iPad or Surface is over 2 lbs)

I had an issue with my iPad on China Eastern intra-China, but I've never been told to put it away by Delta staff.
emrdoc and Rhinolicious like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
I had an issue with my iPad on China Eastern intra-China, but I've never been told to put it away by Delta staff.
it’s more annoying because in the sky magazine it clearly states tablets as “always permitted” on DL
jrkmsp likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Priority Club Plat, HH Silver, Marriott, Hertz President's Circle, WN Rapid Rewards
I fly Delta - a lot. I almost always have my iPad out during takeoff, landing, both. Never been told to stow it.
emrdoc and manacit like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:17 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Never had a problem watching TV on my iPad.
Heaven forbid they make me watch another dang safety demo.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was on a domestic DL flight recently where two FAs (including the lead) refused to make my seatmate put away a big chunky laptop computer (ThinkPad that looked like an older model) for takeoff and landing. The passenger asserted that she flew DL every day (which I seriously doubt) and always used the laptop during takeoff and landing.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:22 pm
TBD

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was on a domestic DL flight recently where two FAs (including the lead) refused to make my seatmate put away a big chunky laptop computer (ThinkPad that looked like an older model) for takeoff and landing. The passenger asserted that she flew DL every day (which I seriously doubt) and always used the laptop during takeoff and landing.
"refused"? As in someone told the FA to do it without success?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TBD
"refused"? As in someone told the FA to do it without success?
I pointed out that it was a safety violation and I didn't want to be hit if the thing went flying if we were to suddenly stop on an active taxiway or have an aborted landing. At first the lead said that she would ask the passenger to put it away later (we were already moving pretty fast across the tarmac and were well beyond the gate), for takeoff, but they they decided that it was OK.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:26 pm

Wonder if it is the same seatmate I had on BOS-SFO. Full sized laptop gate-to-gate with FAs saying nothing, not even glancing in her direction.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:28 pm
TBD

I'd like people to follow the rules, too. Especially when it comes to things like putting your smaller bag under the seat in front of you ..

But I digress ... as I am not an employee of the airline, it isn't my place to tell a FA how to do his/her job. There are at least 100 things I'm more concerned about than getting hit by a laptop. As we've seen on a recent onboard video, laptops don't seem to cause too much damage.
jctech likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
But I digress ... as I am not an employee of the airline, it isn't my place to tell a FA how to do his/her job.
In the end it is your personal safety.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:30 pm
TBD

Originally Posted by davie355
In the end it is your personal safety.
...which is not threatened by a laptop any more than it is by an iPad.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by davie355
Wonder if it is the same seatmate I had on BOS-SFO. Full sized laptop gate-to-gate with FAs saying nothing, not even glancing in her direction.
She was a DM (apparently not 360) and upgraded at the gate as originally #1b for 0 seats, but then a FC seat opened during the boarding process and before she boarded. Youngish, maybe thirties and vaguely blond, and talking loudly on a cell phone during boarding. From what I was forced to overhear, she appeared to work in the health insurance industry, or maybe for a big hospital chain. This was a Thursday midday MSP-BDL nonstop, and Hartford would fit with the insurance industry, as would MSP.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by TBD
...which is not threatened by a laptop any more than it is by an iPad.
Being hit by a heavier object at the same velocity (or acceleration) would do more damage. F = ma.
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:43 pm
TBD

Being hit by a heavier object at the same velocity (or acceleration) would do more damage. F = ma.
None of those three letters represent "damage".

I'll let you look up the force necessary to cause injury. In the meantime, I'll leave my position at: I think you overstepped.
emrdoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.