Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Avoiding gate checking is easy. Don’t fly RJ, don’t fly Basic Economy, and board with your zone (assuming Zone Sky or Zone 1) rather than dawdling in the Sky Club.
Actually, flying an RJ would decrease the chances of a gate check since everything will be pink-tagged.

The best way to avoid gate checks is to pack less stuff and not use a rollaboard.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
That's fine if I know that I'm checking bags in advance, but if I show up at the airport with the expectation of being able to carry on, and am forced to check, I will demand a short check if necessary.
demanding it and actually getting it are two different things
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
demanding it and actually getting it are two different things
I don't want to spill unnecessary personal details here, but one of my colleagues who often joins me on business trips travels with medication that needs to be kept cool at all times, and is often difficult to procure at our work sites. Connections almost never an issue for us because there are nonstop flights from Shanghai to pretty much everywhere on our circuit, but he simply refuses to check a bag on connecting itineraries, and will never back down. It's not like tagging a bag to ATL is any more difficult than BOS via ATL.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM
yeah, true...
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

That's not to say no one has just no one came to flyer talk to complain about it / ask for advice
I suppose I could have been more specific, but I was actually looking for cases where pax were chased down for some sort of redress, not logistical difficulties.
There are a few examples, but it seems so rare as to be very unlikely.

Useful discussion I guess for those interested in logistics.

thanks for this...
Originally Posted by drminn
I mean... my friend thanks you....
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The issue is "something with availability" lining up with your schedule. Doing hidden city via ATL is probably less of an issue because ATL tends to have the most daily options from most cities. But other hubs don't. If for example, you book BOS-LAX-SAN to do hidden-city on BOS-LAX, well, BOS-LAX runs early in the morning and then not again until mid-afternoon. Now, DL can easily get you to SAN via ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC, JFK, etc but you may not be able to wait until mid-afternoon for the next BOS-LAX nonstop, assuming it even has availability. Now on the opposite side of the coin, DL is usually pretty flexible with IROPS. You might be able to ask for BOS-HUB-LAX, as in that situation it's not unreasonable for someone to say "my final destination is as close to LAX as it is to SAN - it doesn't matter where you get me to" when the alternate option is reasonable. Point is hidden city is all still a gamble. In many cases, it probably works out without any issues but there is the potential of things going horribly wrong that people should be aware of if they're even considering it and it's not up to the airline to figure out how to fix it.
In IRROPS DL by policy will allow you to rebook to other nearby airports. Ie I book to SAT/AUS, in IRROPS, can rebook to any airport in TX. You can also rebook for a day later.

If they ask any questions about wanting to connect in same airport, simply tell them you need to hand something off at there.

Also when IRROPS happens DL will get your bag to you. In this case it's a separated passenger bag, not cargo as in my post earlier in thread. They may or may not deliver from the airport, but they'll get it to the airport you're at.

BTW it wasnt clear earlier. DL will only short check if connection is over 6 hours. It does not require an overnight connection. Anything over 12hrs, excluding certain hub airports (AMS,CDG, etc), will always result in short checking. However if they ask you to gate check, you can always ask that it be short checked.

Last edited by flyerCO; Jul 22, 2019 at 5:28 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
If you end up gate checking your bag youll have a problem. I’ve seen many agents catch people that way and then you’ll be stuck possibly with a change fee and fare difference before they’ll reunite you with your bag.
Jokes on DL, I would call their bluff and just fly to the original destination
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:05 am

Several years ago our corporate Travel department got a notice from DL on a guy who had been doing this consistently, I am not sure what the threat was to the travel department but I am pretty sure the guy doing it was told that continuing to do this would result in closure of his skymiles account. If there was any payment issue it probably was raised with the travel department and I have no idea what it might have been. Travel refused to book his creative flights any longer and since we had to use them to get reimbursed the game was over. I think he had been doing it 2 x a month for about 6 months when they caught on. (I can't recall where he was flying from, but he was getting off the plane in Atlanta every time and thought he had been creative by booking different "end cities" )
eneq likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
In IRROPS DL by policy will allow you to rebook to other nearby airports. Ie I book to SAT/AUS, in IRROPS, can rebook to any airport in TX. You can also rebook for a day later.
Well I doubt too many are connecting in SAT or AUS. But while the BOS-LAX-SAN example is one where you would likely be able to swing LAX in IROPS, there are plenty of city pairs and hidden city tricks where it may be more difficult to swing. Say you do LAX-CVG-DCA to do hidden city on LAX-CVG. While DCA, IAD, BWI, and even MDT, RIC, and possibly even PHL may not be seen as too odd for being rebooked into in IROPS, being rebooked on a later LAX-CVG routing may be more difficult given that there are only a couple daily flights and plenty of other more frequent options to DCA and the DC area via other hubs.

It’s up to the person engaging in hidden city to determine the risk-reward and cost-benefit analysis. And there are “smarter ways” to do it to significantly reduce that risk. But nonetheless, there are risks. And if someone gets bitten while playing the game they have no one to blame but themselves.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel

Well I doubt too many are connecting in SAT or AUS. But while the BOS-LAX-SAN example is one where you would likely be able to swing LAX in IROPS, there are plenty of city pairs and hidden city tricks where it may be more difficult to swing. Say you do LAX-CVG-DCA to do hidden city on LAX-CVG. While DCA, IAD, BWI, and even MDT, RIC, and possibly even PHL may not be seen as too odd for being rebooked into in IROPS, being rebooked on a later LAX-CVG routing may be more difficult given that there are only a couple daily flights and plenty of other more frequent options to DCA and the DC area via other hubs.

It’s up to the person engaging in hidden city to determine the risk-reward and cost-benefit analysis. And there are “smarter ways” to do it to significantly reduce that risk. But nonetheless, there are risks. And if someone gets bitten while playing the game they have no one to blame but themselves.
As others have mentioned upthread, you can rebook your flights yourself on the app. Nothing difficult or odd about it. Of course there actually needs to be a flight in existence to rebook onto, but it can be the next day, and you never need to convince an agent why the more logical-seeming options don't work.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
I mean, yes, don't do it if yours is the only flight with that routing for several days? How often is that a concern?
The problem is that is impossible to predict what flights will be available problems hit your origin or intended destisnation, or even if it is a busy travel day and everything is overbooked.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
As others have mentioned upthread, you can rebook your flights yourself on the app. Nothing difficult or odd about it. Of course there actually needs to be a flight in existence to rebook onto, but it can be the next day, and you never need to convince an agent why the more logical-seeming options don't work.
I understand this. I’m simply saying people should understand such risks that a flight to their hub/city they’re using for “hidden city” may not be available till much later or the next day or who knows when based on schedules and availability. Only the person engaging in hidden city knows what risk level they can tolerate and if they can wait another day for a flight. But it behooves they to know what those risks are.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
I have been on RJ flights where they did not "valet" check pink tagged bags and actually sent them to baggage claim. Thankfully I was not connecting that evening.
I think the E175 and E170 aircraft do not valet check bags. They have larger overhead bins, and your bag will be gate checked to final destination if there is no space.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

My point was that in IRROPS changing using the posted example JFK-LAX-SAN to just JFK-LAX isnt an issue. DL by policy will do so. No needing to come up with a reason.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
My point was that in IRROPS changing using the posted example JFK-LAX-SAN to just JFK-LAX isnt an issue. DL by policy will do so. No needing to come up with a reason.
In your effort to just be “more right” you missed that my posted example was BOS-LAX-SAN, not JFK-LAX-SAN. Reason I specifically used BOS-LAX over JFK-LAX was because of there being far less frequency on BOS-LAX than say a route like JFK-LAX, which I was tying in both with my point about “reasonable alternates” as well as understanding the risks associated with hidden city when it comes to availability and schedules, particularly on routes with less frequency, to get to the city you’re using as your “hidden city.” In the BOS-LAX-SAN example, it’s likely that DL allow one to rebook BOS-HUB-LAX instead of SAN, given that in IROPS it’s a reasonable alternate. But they may not be able to get on the next BOS-LAX nonstop specifically, either because of their own schedule or lack of availability on that flight. *That* is a risk one takes with hidden city. Again, less of an issue if you’re going XXX-LAX-SAN given the proximity of LAX and SAN. If you’re trying to do hidden city with a destination that is several hundred miles from the city you plan to get off in, you may run into issues just trying to rebook, which is what I gave with the LAX-CVG-DCA example. DL can easily get you to the DC area. But getting you through CVG in IROPS May be more difficult pending availability and the not-so-frequent schedule into CVG unless you can find something through the app or find an agent who will Force LAX-HUB-CVG-DC so you can then still use CVG for hidden city.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

In your effort to just be “more right” you missed that my posted example was BOS-LAX-SAN, not JFK-LAX-SAN. Reason I specifically used BOS-LAX over JFK-LAX was because of there being far less frequency on BOS-LAX than say a route like JFK-LAX, which I was tying in both with my point about “reasonable alternates” as well as understanding the risks associated with hidden city when it comes to availability and schedules, particularly on routes with less frequency, to get to the city you’re using as your “hidden city.” In the BOS-LAX-SAN example, it’s likely that DL allow one to rebook BOS-HUB-LAX instead of SAN, given that in IROPS it’s a reasonable alternate. But they may not be able to get on the next BOS-LAX nonstop specifically, either because of their own schedule or lack of availability on that flight. *That* is a risk one takes with hidden city. Again, less of an issue if you’re going XXX-LAX-SAN given the proximity of LAX and SAN. If you’re trying to do hidden city with a destination that is several hundred miles from the city you plan to get off in, you may run into issues just trying to rebook, which is what I gave with the LAX-CVG-DCA example. DL can easily get you to the DC area. But getting you through CVG in IROPS May be more difficult pending availability and the not-so-frequent schedule into CVG unless you can find something through the app or find an agent who will Force LAX-HUB-CVG-DC so you can then still use CVG for hidden city.
No you've missed the point. As others have seemed to have understood, there's no need to makeup a reason. DL will allow you to reroute how you want and to change destination without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.