Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Throw-Away Ticketing, Hidden City Ticketing, and Skipping Legs: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA has a form letter they send out along with a payment demand to those who do chronic hidden city ticketing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/...h-collections/

I believe there have been a few of stories about AA doing it as well. Have not heard of any stories involving DL demanding payment.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I understand this. I was replying to what poster before me posted.

Also DL wont be flying the bag anywhere even for money after it arrives at final destination. They dont allow you to simply ship a bag as the bag is now cargo, not a passenger's bag. For that you must use UPS/FEDEX/USPS/etc...
The OP of this thread's "friend" is a 6-8 times/year hidden city user. As such, certainly they know not to check a bag.
noahnoahsmith likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp
The OP of this thread's "friend" is a 6-8 times/year hidden city user. As such, certainly they know not to check a bag.
Where OP’s friend is going to get caught is unexpectedly being forced to check a bag at the gate to the final destination when all the bins are full. Then the friend is screwed.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I get that. My post was a reply to the user's post I quoted.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The presumption that everyone who gets caught out in a fraud by an air carrier comes to FT to moan about it is misplaced. My guess is that the vast majority of people who do get bagged don't brag about it. The few who have posted here recently have been UA & AA experiences (in the US).

To me, the easiest approach is not to sue the passenger, but presuming that they have status or a significant balance in their FFP, just close it out. That may sting more than writing a check.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Never heard a peep, but just starting to wonder if when it actually catches up?
It really depends on who you are.

If you fly hidden city without FFP involvement, the chance is not only DL, but most airlines won't lay a finger on you. While each airlines has massive data, it just takes too many works to sort out who's who. In many cases, it is not worth spending the resources to go after these people.

However, if you use FFP in anyway with hidden city, things will be easier for airlines, as they can trace back your flight history. Lawsuit or not, the very first thing the airlines can do is to revoke the membership and forfeit all miles/points.

Of course, people may say this may not even occur. But based on the news, airlines had sued. Airlines had revoked membership before.

Is it a risk you are willing to take? Not me for sure.

My 2 cents.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: DL DM
Bingo.
And also how to not get in a situation where forced to gate check.
Thanks for this! Will go read it all. .
Originally Posted by xliioper
UA has a form letter they send out along with a payment demand to those who do chronic hidden city ticketing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28912152-post224.html

https://nomascoach.boardingarea.com/...h-collections/

I believe there have been a few of stories about AA doing it as well. Have not heard of any stories involving DL demanding payment.
Definitely - which is why I'm asking directly... maybe someone who has will see the thread and respond though.

Originally Posted by Often1
The presumption that everyone who gets caught out in a fraud by an air carrier comes to FT to moan about it is misplaced. My guess is that the vast majority of people who do get bagged don't brag about it. The few who have posted here recently have been UA & AA experiences (in the US).

To me, the easiest approach is not to sue the passenger, but presuming that they have status or a significant balance in their FFP, just close it out. That may sting more than writing a check.
Is this speculation? or based on any experience?
Originally Posted by garykung
It really depends on who you are.

If you fly hidden city without FFP involvement, the chance is not only DL, but most airlines won't lay a finger on you. While each airlines has massive data, it just takes too many works to sort out who's who. In many cases, it is not worth spending the resources to go after these people.

However, if you use FFP in anyway with hidden city, things will be easier for airlines, as they can trace back your flight history. Lawsuit or not, the very first thing the airlines can do is to revoke the membership and forfeit all miles/points.

Of course, people may say this may not even occur. But based on the news, airlines had sued. Airlines had revoked membership before.

Is it a risk you are willing to take? Not me for sure.

My 2 cents.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:42 am

"Asking for a friend..."

😏
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:55 am

Avoiding gate checking is easy. Don’t fly RJ, don’t fly Basic Economy, and board with your zone (assuming Zone Sky or Zone 1) rather than dawdling in the Sky Club.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Avoiding gate checking is easy. Don’t fly RJ, don’t fly Basic Economy, and board with your zone (assuming Zone Sky or Zone 1) rather than dawdling in the Sky Club.
And don't be late because something else happened...which is admittedly easier to control for Hidden City since presumably you are not making a connection that becomes "at risk." My gate checks always happen when a 45 min connection delays into a 20 min connection. I have turned to traveling backpack only in some situations to avoid this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Lufthansa sued a passenger.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/2...city-ticketing
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Flying an RJ isn't the issue because when you "valet" check on an RJ (when it's "pink tagged"), you get your bag back on the jetway following that particular flight. When you're on a mainline aircraft and your bag is gate-checked by the GA, it is checked to the final destination.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
BA charged a travel agent for this when passengers the TA booked dropped the last leg of a trip a little too often.

No reports of any passengers being charged or having their BAEC accounts closed.

That's not to say no one has just no one came to flyer talk to complain about it / ask for advice
Old Jul 21, 2019, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
If you end up gate checking your bag youll have a problem. I’ve seen many agents catch people that way and then you’ll be stuck possibly with a change fee and fare difference before they’ll reunite you with your bag.
If I am asked to gate check a bag, and need to short check it, I simply state such. There are many legitimate reasons for needing to have access to belongings (e.g medication that requires portable cooling device), but this is not Delta's business.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Checked bag will go through to the connecting city and you will have to pay DL to fly it back to the hidden city.
Really?

I thought they are required to unload the bag if you don't show for a flight. That's the law in many countries. In other words, bags arrives where you arrive.

Last edited by speed.skater; Jul 21, 2019 at 10:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.