Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2023, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
SLC-ICN announcement apparently imminent.

MarkyMarc and Snowcat like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
SLC-ICN announcement apparently imminent.

https://twitter.com/WandrMe/status/1613997503996694564
I'll believe it when I see it!! Fingers crossed!!
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Utah Jazz arena to become Delta Center again with new naming rights deal.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/the-delta-center-returns-to-utah-under-new-agreement-with-utah-jazz
Pocatello likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Utah Jazz arena to become Delta Center again with new naming rights deal.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/news/the-de...with-utah-jazz
That probably deserves its own thread as it really has nothing to do with the new SLC airport.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by indufan
That probably deserves its own thread as it really has nothing to do with the new SLC airport.
I wouldn’t say nothing to do. The long term deal certainly shows a commitment to SLC air service.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Five new gates for Delta in SLC have an opening date: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 (A27, A29, A31, A33 and A35.)

Then 17 more open in November (A26-A46 even and A37-A47 odd). Hopefully to coincide with some route resumptions or additions.

dtwtransport, hi55us and Snowcat like this.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 12:03 pm

Five new gates for Delta in SLC have an opening date: Tuesday, May 16, 2023 (A27, A29, A31, A33 and A35.)

Then 17 more open in November (A26-A46 even and A37-A47 odd). Hopefully to coincide with some route resumptions or additions.

https://twitter.com/slcairport/statu...23673865568257
Or at least to bring most flights over from B concourse...
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Is the intl arrivals part of the "New SLC?" on the map it looks like passport control is after bag claim, similar to SEA. Anyone have experience? I finally get to check SLC out next month but I've heard horror stories of the bags first method at SEA!!
Old Jan 22, 2023, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
Is the intl arrivals part of the "New SLC?" on the map it looks like passport control is after bag claim, similar to SEA. Anyone have experience? I finally get to check SLC out next month but I've heard horror stories of the bags first method at SEA!!
Bags first, then passport control, then customs then recheck a and TSA.
N830MH likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
As DLASflyer noted it's bag's, Immigration then out. I've found that it's actually easier than the Immigration, Customs and out way since I only have to deal with one CBP officer instead of two. Only issue I've had with a couple of trips coming in from Haneda if waiting Delta to get the bags down (Priority bags last) with the resulting back up at the CBP.
I bumped into a friend who retired from CBP a little while ago who told me that they've heard that the new method will be rolling out through the system over the next 5-10 years if SEA and IAH don't have any major issues. For them it saves a lot of their time since if they're going to have to turn somebody back or want to take a closer look then they've got the bags and the person already together saving them time, effort, and possible mischief. Also makes it easier for the groups and families on the same Customs form.
BusinessElite25 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta, United
Regarding the bags then combined immigration/customs. I blew through there this summer so fast it was amazing. The CBP was actively asking people if they had their bags as most are used to the dual system.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 12:57 am

Programs: DL PM, WN A-List
Thanks for all replies! Funny because I thought in the SEA IAF vid they said they were the first airport to have that method maybe I’m mixing up timelines. I should have just carry on so I guess it won’t affect me as much. Although my obnoxious tendency to know everything in advance gives me two more questions:
1. How does global entry work at slc? New facial scanning kiosk after baggage claim? I remember at SEA it’s before the escalators then another line acter

and 2. Is the intl connections tsa efficient? At msp depending on the time I would used to always go out then upstairs for precheck. I have 1h20 at slc after arriving from cdg and it looks like cdg and ams arrive around the same time.

tia!
Old Jan 23, 2023, 6:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by BusinessElite25
How does global entry work at slc? New facial scanning kiosk after baggage claim?
and 2. Is the intl connections tsa efficient?

tia!
I've returned from international twice at SLC in the past 3 months. Trip #1 bags were quite fast, allowing me to quickly get to Passport Control. Trip #2 the bag delivery took forever. But the global entry on the left side of the arena is barely used and allowed for a quick clearance. Yes, the facial scanning kiosk is after baggage claim. There was no passport required for me and global entry. After passport control with CBP you leave the area, drop your bags if you have a further connection, and then enter TSA security. TSA is not fully compliant with pre-check at this location. TSA security for international arrivals is special; they have their own location separate from the airport's regular TSA screening.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pocatello
I've returned from international twice at SLC in the past 3 months. Trip #1 bags were quite fast, allowing me to quickly get to Passport Control. Trip #2 the bag delivery took forever. But the global entry on the left side of the arena is barely used and allowed for a quick clearance. Yes, the facial scanning kiosk is after baggage claim. There was no passport required for me and global entry. After passport control with CBP you leave the area, drop your bags if you have a further connection, and then enter TSA security. TSA is not fully compliant with pre-check at this location. TSA security for international arrivals is special; they have their own location separate from the airport's regular TSA screening.
You can still exit with the SLC-terminating pax and use the TSA checkpoint upstairs for Clear/Precheck, can't you? I've seen agents offer the reverse (tell originating pax on the ground floor they can check bags and use the intl TSA checkpoint without going upstairs...
Old Jan 23, 2023, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by captaink
You can still exit with the SLC-terminating pax and use the TSA checkpoint upstairs for Clear/Precheck, can't you? I've seen agents offer the reverse (tell originating pax on the ground floor they can check bags and use the intl TSA checkpoint without going upstairs...
I never thought of this. I guess I could try this in the future. I believe you are correct about exiting and going upstairs to use the regular TSA with Clear/Precheck. I was so tired by the time I arrived at SLC that I never thought to go upstairs. I will say that the TSA screeners in the international area are very friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.