Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi all,

thought you like to read the news about SLC construction progress.

https://www.enr.com/articles/54493-a...tp59&fs=e&s=cl
Old Aug 2, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Has anyone heard of a skyclub planned for SLC concourse B? I saw this excerpt from the advisory board meeting notes that made me wonder if there is something planned.

Concourse ‘B’ East 8 Gate (Phase 3)
• Placed Pile Order for Sky Club Expansion
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lots of images and details about the remaining construction at the airport in this article. https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/8/...w-construction

It includes a video that shows off, among other artworks, the one that is coming to the main tunnel joining the two concourses. Also, per the article, if present usage trends continue, construction planning for Concourse C might begin circa 2030.
Pocatello and Snowcat like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amanuensis
Lots of images and details about the remaining construction at the airport in this article. https://www.deseret.com/utah/2022/8/...w-construction

It includes a video that shows off, among other artworks, the one that is coming to the main tunnel joining the two concourses. Also, per the article, if present usage trends continue, construction planning for Concourse C might begin circa 2030.
There's more!!

Check this out!

https://kutv.com/news/local/work-pro...ten-terminal-b
Pocatello likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.ksl.com/article/50455275...rrent-projects

https://www.ksl.com/article/50455275...HU2IL9dAMd_7Hc

SLC airport is already growing!! They wants to build new concourse D. I'm actually a big surprised!
happydad100 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH

https://www.ksl.com/article/50455275...HU2IL9dAMd_7Hc

SLC airport is already growing!! They wants to build new concourse D. I'm actually a big surprised!
I would be very surprised to see D happen anytime soon. C? absolutely as I expect Delta is going to end up wanting much more of B than originally expected.

but D seems far fetched for the next ~30 years.

Also FWIW, not necessarily terminal related, rumor mill is indicating Delta is doing to expand its training center in SLC to include more pilot training. A A32X and 737 sim are expected initially. Atlanta is basically out of sim bays with no real place to build any extras.
N830MH likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I would be very surprised to see D happen anytime soon. C? absolutely as I expect Delta is going to end up wanting much more of B than originally expected.
DL's prediction is modest growth at SLC, mostly thru aircraft upgauging. Aircraft upgauging obviously doesn't require additional gates. I don't expect C anytime soon.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
DL's prediction is modest growth at SLC, mostly thru aircraft upgauging. Aircraft upgauging obviously doesn't require additional gates. I don't expect C anytime soon.
flight counts at SLC have been growing as well. I think its the only Delta hub to be + in flights post COVID.

but with that said I do believe SLC airport has said they are starting to fund C, which makes its relatively close (relatively probably being 7-10 years close) as it looks like Delta will be keeping most of its B gates once the rest of A opens which I believe wasn't part of the plan.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
it looks like Delta will be keeping most of its B gates once the rest of A opens which I believe wasn't part of the plan.
Source for this change in plans?
Old Aug 13, 2022, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
flight counts at SLC have been growing as well. I think its the only Delta hub to be + in flights post COVID.
I don’t think this is true. Daily departures seem way down from 2019 but upguaging might mean seats are flat.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Aug 13, 2022 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mountain Explorer
Source for this change in plans?
"I believe"

If I new it for a fact I wouldn't use words like that.

I *thought.....key word here so I don't have a source* the original plan was for Delta to move completely to A but I *thought* I read they are keep some/most of their space on B now, due to growth. Could be completely wrong on that.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
I don’t think this is true. Daily departures seem way down from 2019 but upguaging might mean seats are flat.
whoops sorry. Missed this.

IIRC Delta was around 250-260 flights per day pre-COVID. Pre-cut down because of operations going to sh%t so I haven't checked to see how much of those flight cuts hit SLC, I want to say Delta was back on the high side of 270, hitting close to 280. It wasn't drastic grow by any means but it was growth. On top of that SLC is missing some flying (IND and PIT come to mind) that will eventually be back as the fleet gets back on the positive side of the COVID rebound.

ASMs were definitely up as most of the CR2 flying has been replaced with E75s, DCI flying replaced by 220s and a nice influx of 739/321s as well. I think they seem way down to you because you seem to focus on things like SLC-DRO getting cut.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
whoops sorry. Missed this.

IIRC Delta was around 250-260 flights per day pre-COVID. Pre-cut down because of operations going to sh%t so I haven't checked to see how much of those flight cuts hit SLC, I want to say Delta was back on the high side of 270, hitting close to 280. It wasn't drastic grow by any means but it was growth. On top of that SLC is missing some flying (IND and PIT come to mind) that will eventually be back as the fleet gets back on the positive side of the COVID rebound.

ASMs were definitely up as most of the CR2 flying has been replaced with E75s, DCI flying replaced by 220s and a nice influx of 739/321s as well. I think they seem way down to you because you seem to focus on things like SLC-DRO getting cut.
DL + DCI are only at about 235 flights per day at SLC right now.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe it! Southwest Airlines or Breeze wants a hub or focus city. They are growing!! Still have more demand! They wants more gates!!
MarkyMarc likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can see Southwest wanting SLC as a focus city. Breeze -- no, they have already said that Provo will serve that function for them.

What no one has mentioned thus far is that the reason that the airport was in the news is because they have finished the new master plan. The old master plan got them to what the new airport was at the time it opened. The gate expansions now underway are part of the new master plan. I have not yet read the new master plan (but it is Sunday so I think I have time today to read it) but I have been told that it calls for Concourses C and D based not on any particular chronology but instead on passenger volume. That said, the expectation is that the Concourse C level will be reached sometime in the 2030s and the Concourse D level sometime in the 2040s.

The document presented to the council shows what is needed for a fourth concourse, which is when the airport draws 47 million passengers annually. The airport could reach that level in the 2040s, based on these projections.
N830MH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.