Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SLC airport opens September 15th, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by eneq
You’re thinking of the now out-of-date grocery store sales law. Utah used to not allow any beer more than 3.2% abv to be sold in non-liquor stores.

As for restaurants, it’s still kind of complicated. If a restaurant wants to be recognized as a “restaurant” under the law then they cannot allow patrons to only purchase alcohol. They must buy food. However, places get around this by offering $1 appetizers like a bowl of nuts. These restaurants most definitely sell beer stronger than 4.0abv on tap though. If SLC airport is exempt from this law, I do not know. Someone more local can chime in.
You are incorrect. The law changed to allow non-state liquor stores (e.g. grocery stores) to sell higher alcohol content, but it is still NOT full strength beer. The beer available on tap or in any store that is not a state-owned liquor store is different and not the same beer (exception being mass-market crap beers that have less that 4% alcohol, like standard Bud, Miller, even acceptable beer like Stella maybe). For any craft beer like an IPA, if you order tap in UT, you get NOT full strength, under the new laws still.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 6:00 am

I am local.

In UT there are two types of licenses a restaurant/bar can obtain. The restaurant license allows family dining, but customer can not purchase alcohol unless also purchasing food (one can say "we're reviewing the menu to order", food need not be ordered at the exact moment of ordering a drink). There may also be a food/alcohol revenue ratio rule for this license type (e.g. 80% of revenues must be food), or that may have been discontinued? The bar license removes the food sales aspect, but doesn't allow for family dining (21 and over only in the building).

Further, there is a beer and wine license (THUS NOT full strength beer) that places can obtain, which is different that the two license types above which include liquor and full strength beer.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Noticed the first restaurant failed before it even opened. The space that was going to be an Italian restaurant is now going to be a Roosters Brewery. That will be four brew pubs in one airport (in Utah no less!)
Roosters will be a good addition.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM 3MM 360
Originally Posted by canyonleo
I am local.

In UT there are two types of licenses a restaurant/bar can obtain. The restaurant license allows family dining, but customer can not purchase alcohol unless also purchasing food (one can say "we're reviewing the menu to order", food need not be ordered at the exact moment of ordering a drink). There may also be a food/alcohol revenue ratio rule for this license type (e.g. 80% of revenues must be food), or that may have been discontinued? The bar license removes the food sales aspect, but doesn't allow for family dining (21 and over only in the building).

Further, there is a beer and wine license (THUS NOT full strength beer) that places can obtain, which is different that the two license types above which include liquor and full strength beer.
Pretty sure there is a special license for airport outlets that is vastly less ridiculous than the rest of the state.

Last edited by ryandc99; Feb 12, 2021 at 6:23 am
Old Feb 11, 2021, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
And because it's UT of all places, not one of them serves a real beer from the tap (3.3/4.0 is not real beer IMO). (or did someone research I was wrong on SLC being considered under UT liquor law jurisdiction)
Order your beer in bottle/can and make sure to ask if it's "full strength".
Guinness is 4.2%
I consider Guinness "real beer".
Old Feb 12, 2021, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Guinness is 4.2%
I consider Guinness "real beer".
How are you certain what the alcohol content from a tap is?
Most mass-marked beers have a special version (lower alcohol) for the states that have these "bluelight" or other laws. UT isn't alone, MN is an example where real beer can't be sold in a convenience store or a gas station.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
How are you certain what the alcohol content from a tap is?
Most mass-marked beers have a special version (lower alcohol) for the states that have these "bluelight" or other laws. UT isn't alone, MN is an example where real beer can't be sold in a convenience store or a gas station.
You think 4% beer is not “real beer”.
Do you think a 4.2% beer like Guinness Draught is a “real beer”?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 6:46 am

You think 4% beer is not “real beer”.
Do you think a 4.2% beer like Guinness Draught is a “real beer”?
Correct. Fake beer is made by brewers as a second version of the regular beer, to be sold in "stores" in states that create a "two levels" retail situation. These states have ABC's/laws saying 3.2/4.0 beer is highest content that can be sold in gas stations, convenience stores, supermarkets, while the full strength beer is only allowed to be sold in state regulated and licensed (or in UT cult, ah, state owned liquor stores).

UT cheats its marketing by saying it last year raised the content level for this "second class" lower content fake beer, but it still isn't raised to the level of any other state that allows full strength beer from a tap... UT is the only state with this law which doesn't allow even a bar-licensed (vs. restaurant-licensed) establishment to sell full strength beer from a tap.

Here's one way I look at it. Go into any liquor store (I'll do it in UT) and look at a dozen of my favorite IPAs. Not a single one (and I'm not the biggest fan of double-hopped and higher ABV beers) has a alcohol content lower than UT's 4.0 tap beer limit. In fact, I'd challenge one to find a good IPA (or even pale ale) that has less than 4.0 (that's ABV, UT cheats the marketing by calling it 5.0 by weight not volume).

Last edited by canyonleo; Feb 13, 2021 at 6:54 am
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:31 am
Suspended

You still refuse to answer the question.
Do you think a 4.2% beer is a “real beer?”
Old Feb 13, 2021, 9:59 am

You still refuse to answer the question.
Do you think a 4.2% beer is a “real beer?”
If it's the only version of a beer that the brewer makes of that one, then yes of course. If the brewer makes two versions of a beer, a full strength and a low alcohol (fake IMO) version, the latter for locations that can't sell the full strength real one (like a UT tap), and that's a 4.2% (in UT depends on ABV vs. weight), then no.

But, we're not here on FT to discuss my opinions, I'm posting to educate those (others) that getting a tap beer in UT, of something worthy (thus excluding mass-merchandised swill like Bud, Miller, etc.), because of state law, isn't a real (full strength) beer. No craft brewer of any worth (IMO) is going to make only one version of it's beer that is 4/5 like UT allows. One is getting a low alcohol version (and it does affect taste frequently) of that beer.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 10:44 am

Correct. Fake beer is made by brewers as a second version of the regular beer, to be sold in "stores" in states that create a "two levels" retail situation. These states have ABC's/laws saying 3.2/4.0 beer is highest content that can be sold in gas stations, convenience stores, supermarkets, while the full strength beer is only allowed to be sold in state regulated and licensed (or in UT cult, ah, state owned liquor stores).

UT cheats its marketing by saying it last year raised the content level for this "second class" lower content fake beer, but it still isn't raised to the level of any other state that allows full strength beer from a tap... UT is the only state with this law which doesn't allow even a bar-licensed (vs. restaurant-licensed) establishment to sell full strength beer from a tap.

Here's one way I look at it. Go into any liquor store (I'll do it in UT) and look at a dozen of my favorite IPAs. Not a single one (and I'm not the biggest fan of double-hopped and higher ABV beers) has a alcohol content lower than UT's 4.0 tap beer limit. In fact, I'd challenge one to find a good IPA (or even pale ale) that has less than 4.0 (that's ABV, UT cheats the marketing by calling it 5.0 by weight not volume).
Let’s get the facts straight here. Utah groceries, etc are now allowed to sell up to 4.0 ABW. The conversion for ABW to ABV is multiply by 1.25 = 5%. ABV is the measurement almost all of us are used to. So factually, in Utah a consumer may now purchase 5% beer at groceries etc.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/archived-articles/518/

https://www.visitutah.com/articles/u...-visitor-guide
BenA and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 11:55 am
Suspended

If it's the only version of a beer that the brewer makes of that one, then yes of course. If the brewer makes two versions of a beer, a full strength and a low alcohol (fake IMO) version, the latter for locations that can't sell the full strength real one (like a UT tap), and that's a 4.2% (in UT depends on ABV vs. weight), then no.
You made no such distinction in previous posts. You simply posted “3.3/4.0 is not real beer IMO.”
It wasn’t until I pointed out that your opinion would mean that Guinness Draught is not a “real beer” that you tried to backpedal from your opinion and suddenly tried to add distinctions that weren’t part of your original opinion. Nice try... 😂😂😂
Originally Posted by rnbwdsh
Let’s get the facts straight here. Utah groceries, etc are now allowed to sell up to 4.0 ABW. The conversion for ABW to ABV is multiply by 1.25 = 5%. ABV is the measurement almost all of us are used to. So factually, in Utah a consumer may now purchase 5% beer at groceries etc.

You mean the local “expert” was wrong? I’m shocked. 🤣🤣🤣
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:29 pm

So factually, in Utah a consumer may now purchase 5% beer at groceries etc.

Entirely correct. And name one worthy craft beer that is 5% or less. I can name none. Any craft beer that is 5% ABV or less is a second version of that beer intended for UT taps/supermarkets/beer-only licensed places... lower alcohol second version "fake" (IMO) beer. Again, talking craft beers, not mass-merchandised.

So, out of state travelers, if you order a tap beer in UT (unless SLC Int'l has a special type license), it's not full strength beer. Odds are the can and bottle are the same (beer-only licensed).
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:39 pm

Entirely correct. And name one worthy craft beer that is 5% or less. I can name none.
Here you go... literally dozens.

https://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:56 pm

Here you go... literally dozens.

https://www.realbeer.com/edu/health/calories.php
LIke I said, name one or a half dozen on that list that a worthy craft beers not mass-merchandized swill, ah, beers?
We don't need an argument on this, the point I'm making is out of state travelers, beware, the brew pub that is serving a craft tap beer is likely serving you a low alcohol not full strength second version "fake" beer. That list illustrates the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.