Search

LGA DFW flight to try A220?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:54 am
mhy
Original Poster

Programs: JGC
LGA DFW flight to try A220?

I am very tempted to book myself a round trip LGA to DFW to experience Delta's new A220.

Wonder if the good folks here could give pointers on the following:

1) Is this the best route to experience DL A220 (NYC based)? I see JFK on the schedule later in the year also but LGA is closer to me.

2) Is F worth it? Seatguru legroom shows 36in which isn't great for F. But price difference is around $100 each way, which for a 4 hour flight isn't too bad.

3) Is doing an overnight worth it to be able to check out the AA museum? The Grand Hyatt DFW looks nice and has runway view rooms.

This would be primarily to experience the A220, museum would a bonus. I've been to Dallas before and seen most of the major tourist stuff so I normally wouldn't mind a same-day turnaround except I want to check out the AA museum (which would make same day turn tight!)

Thank you all

Last edited by mhy; Jun 20, 2019 at 11:08 am
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:35 am

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
LGA-DFW is as good as any route for trying the A220-100. I did it a couple of weeks ago. First class to DFW and Comfort + (C+) to LGA. The A220 is a very nice brand new airplane. Its strength is coach not first class. I had 1C in first and 10A in C+. The C+ flight was definitely more enjoyable as far as basic comfort. The bulkhead in first has no legroom, kind of like the bulkhead on the 737-900. The first row of coach, the exit row, and seat 16F are the best coach seats IMO. Here are reports on each flight:

https://salsaworldtraveler.com/2019/...w-york-ny-lga/

https://salsaworldtraveler.com/2019/...dallas-tx-dfw/
Old Jun 21, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
ditto on what salsa said. LGA-DFW/IAH would be my preference. You'll get a meal in F (depending on the time of day) to those cities. If row 2 or 3 is available for your price, I'd do that. Row 1 is terrible, there's a metal kickplate against the bulkhead and zero legroom. Avoid.

There's also a EWR-DTW morning option if you're looking for a shorter "turn." LGA-BOS is a late-night overnighter and probably too short to really sample the experience (plus a BOS hotel would be needed).
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:56 am
mhy
Original Poster

Awesome, thank you! Just booked LGA <-> DFW next weekend with an overnight at the Grand Hyatt DFW. Good point on avoiding the bulkhead, I am 6’0 so have booked myself on 2D outbound & 2A inbound.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by mhy
Awesome, thank you! Just booked LGA <-> DFW next weekend with an overnight at the Grand Hyatt DFW. Good point on avoiding the bulkhead, I am 6’0 so have booked myself on 2D outbound & 2A inbound.
Just watch the holes on either side of the seatback pocket. I almost lost a pair of AirPods that way, which would be a preview to actually losing some on an AA 789 from SYD-LAX the same way.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:08 am
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318
Just watch the holes on either side of the seatback pocket. I almost lost a pair of AirPods that way, which would be a preview to actually losing some on an AA 789 from SYD-LAX the same way.
Ouch. Unfortunately (or fortunately?) my love for Sennheiser IE80 forces me to keep using wired earphones. I'll make sure I don't put anything small in that pocket!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:19 am
mhy
Original Poster

Just did this over the weekend.

LGA - DFW on 6/29 was delayed by almost 5 hours, derailing my plan to visit the AA museum near DFW. The aircraft appeared to have arrived in LGA the prior night, so I'm not sure what happened. Maybe crew time out issues. When I asked the crew, they said they didn't know. Thankfully I got an email the night before the flight notifying me of the delay, so I didn't waste time at the airport.

LGA -> DFW Outbound Flight

LGA was the usual dump, though I did see some very new-looking buildings (haven't been there in years). I decided to cheap out and take the M60 bus to the airport. $2.75! Security was quick with TSA Pre and boarding was orderly.

The A220 is quite impressive. The aircraft was impeccably clean. Very big windows for a regional; possibly bigger than even 777. The engines were not as quiet as I'd read about, but still definitely quieter than a 737/A320. I wish they had a real bulkhead between F / Y.

I thought I got lucky as I had an empty seat 2C next to me. As soon as the door closed, though, the crew called someone up to the front from back in coach. Amusingly my new seatmate in 2C appeared to be a Bombardier employee - he was helping the flight crew operate the lighting controls before takeoff.

Seat 2D was the right choice over the bulkhead row (thanks salsa!). Legroom was good. The IFE screen was MASSIVE - at least 12 inches, probably more. Extremely responsive and a huge selection of movies (even a lot of Japanese movies, which I definitely didn't expect on a 3-hour US domestic flight! ). Watched "The Inventor" on the way to DFW.

Service was fairly good. However, there was one thing I noticed and I'm not really sure what to make of it. When the FA got to my row, I was offered lunch in the following manner: "Would you like to join us for lunch? I have a chicken Nicoise salad", implying that was the only choice. I had noted that she had offered a choice of beef tenderloin or the salad to the passengers in the row in front of me. I was not sure if they had run out of the beef already or if she was trying to get me to pick the salad because the beef was more popular. Maybe it wasn't intentional, but I never asked if there was another choice. In any case, I was not in the mood for beef (planned to have steak at the hotel) so I said sure. The salad was good!

The flight was smooth and arrived at DFW 5 hours behind schedule. Since I arrived in terminal E, I took the people mover to Terminal D.

Grand Hyatt DFW

Probably the nicest airport hotel I've stayed at. The lobby is discreetly tucked above Terminal D and very nice. The room was a runway view king, very spacious with a desk, day bed, and a huge bathroom with separate shower / tub. One negative I think would be that the tub was very shallow. Amenities were June Jacobs and pretty nice.

View from the room was absolutely fantastic, overlooking the entire length of runways 18L / 18R. I spent hours just staring out the window watching takeoffs / landings. Geeked out a bit with live ATC turned on. It was really cool to hear "American 123, cross runway 18L" and then immediately see a plane cross runway 18L! Also watching the operations made me realize how absolutely massive DFW airport is. There were two runways in view from my room and a third some distance away; and that was just half the airport!

The restaurant was overpriced but had a fairly good fillet steak there and the service was prompt and friendly.

Spent the morning watching some 777s/787s take off and land and an Asiana cargo 747 takeoff. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was good but again overpriced.

DFW -> LGA

DFW TSA was also quick and efficient. There was a checkpoint literally 20 feet from the escalator leaving the hotel. However, there was a massive line for the regular TSA and a short line for TSA Pre as well. I then noticed a sign that said '3 minute walk to next checkpoint - 5 min regular wait, <2 min TSA Pre wait'. I walked less than 300 feet probably and sure enough, another checkpoint with absolutely zero line. I was through in 3 minutes. I thought it was funny that the airport is trying its absolutely hardest to let people know there is an empty checkpoint within a few minutes walk, yet people choose to line up at the most crowded one. Herd mentality I guess.

This flight boarded sharply on time, to the minute. This time I was in 2A. More or less the same seat. On this leg I was offered either a salad or beef sliders, and I chose the sliders. They were great! Service was friendly and efficient. Watched Disney's "Oceans". Pretty good but I think Blue Planet beats it. Had a great view of Manhattan on the LGA approach and a smooth landing. Then another $2.75 ride on the bus home.

Summary
All in all very nice aircraft. F seat probably not worth it if it's a high premium or for really short flights, but definitely made a bit of difference for a 3 hour (3.5-4 hour butt-in-seat) flight. I will try the economy / EC seat next time. Grand Hyatt DFW was great.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 8:56 am
formerly smoaky

I was stuck overnight at DFW a few weeks ago due to weather, but got to stay at the Grand Hyatt, with a runway view. What a super fun hotel, really good for one night. Gym was also great and pool area is also good for plane watching (and breathing in those sweet fumes). That said, it was pretty expensive and I maybe wouldn't have chosen it unless my travel insurance was picking up the tab...

Look forward to trying the A220. I live near the LGA flight path and did notice a number of them recently.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Nice Report

FYI on the Grand Hyatt, unless it has changed you can request a TSA pass to enter the terminal to go to the many restaurants in terminal D (or other terminals). I agree the restaurant there is good but it pretty expensive, even for an upscale hotel restaurant.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
That Hyatt is amazing and you can usually sit at the rooftop pool on your own or pay a day pass fee if you have a longer layover.

probably my favorite US airport hotel....sorry Westin DTW!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:46 am
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
Nice Report

FYI on the Grand Hyatt, unless it has changed you can request a TSA pass to enter the terminal to go to the many restaurants in terminal D (or other terminals). I agree the restaurant there is good but it pretty expensive, even for an upscale hotel restaurant.
I'd read about that - but wanted to maximize time in the hotel so I chose to eat in the lobby restaurant instead. Agreed re: price.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:47 am
mhy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That Hyatt is amazing and you can usually sit at the rooftop pool on your own or pay a day pass fee if you have a longer layover.

probably my favorite US airport hotel....sorry Westin DTW!
The TWA Hotel rooftop might beat the Hyatt pool, but the room and service at Grand Hyatt DFW was definitely nicer and the view of the runway was much better than the TWA Hotel (very obstructed view due to T5 being right in front of you).
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.