Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
What is the criteria for a SC? BNA has one, no D1 as no international flights at all.
Same with AUS at this point in time... I got there the other day at 5AM and at a brand new SC, 6 people were waiting to get in. Only time I have been there since the open, but by the time I exited for my flight the breakfast area was full. I wonder what the occupancy is at other times...You raise an interesting question about criteria, but the beautiful new SC and the increased number of flights will keep me with DL and I hope the new lounge will entice more pax (especially BIZ pax).
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
BNA may be called a focus city simply because it has had a ton of loyal DL fliers over the years and DL wants to keep them. It's like a bigger version of BHM, which is a DL stronghold despite having had WN service for years.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Sure, but what about the many one time passes that are available through various Amex cards? Plus alcohol sales (which I doubt amounts to much). I wonder if they at least break even?
Surely they could make it profitable with their internal accounting if they want to (SC membership fees, DL AMEX Reserve Fees, whatever AMEX pays DL for AMEX Plat access, one time AMEX passes, alcohol sales, etc) and it's certainly possible (if they wanted to) that they account for the expenses as part of the local airport line item instead of a SC specific line item.

Or they could do the reverse -- just depends on if they treat the SC as a cost center or profit center
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by iansltx
Sorry, missed that CP has started flying for AA. And inconveniently forgot how much of SJC's AS footprint is actually OO (or Horizon? They do E75s now too right?).

​​​​​​FWIW AUS has the same linear terminal problem as SJC.

Good to know re: connections through RDU. My previous theory aside, that makes sense If they had enough connections to upgauge they should've been running those through ATL in the first place.

In other news, where did all the 717s go? Are they back in ATL doing short haul?
AUS Is linear, but I think that unless DL does some more aggressive expansion beyond their current plans, which are to take sole possession of 5 gates in the brand new terminal expansion, so that shouldn't be an issue. A GA on the ground told me they ultimately intend to run 10 turns per day through each, so going from present 28 peak day departures to a possible 50.

Agree also that this fits in more with another poster above that it cannot serve connecting traffic in any meaningful way, simply more P2P based on O&D.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
BNA may be called a focus city simply because it has had a ton of loyal DL fliers over the years and DL wants to keep them. It's like a bigger version of BHM, which is a DL stronghold despite having had WN service for years.
Delta has about 10% of the market in BNA, very very distant 2nd to SWA. It's a focus city because it's a booming city and they think they can GET a bunch of new business, not (just) because they want to keep existing business.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by N830MH
Actually, All Nippon Airways, not Spirit Airlines. It's NH, not NK. NK is for Spirit Airlines and NH is for All Nippon Airways.
That is quite literally what I was pointing out.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
I don't care if they call Boston and SJC hubs, spoke city, wheelbarrows or crapshows. But a direct flight suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure would be nice. The flight options to SFO (and the drive) are not that appealing. I can take an SJC>Connection>BOS flight starting at 6a local and be home in time for dinner. Pretty nice, but would be even greater if direct.

Will be interesting next 18 months in BOS with the hub and terminal A expansion (won't miss the WN flyers slowing down security, that's fo shuh). Hopefully B6's strong presence will keep DL's prices reasonable (instead of verging towards ATL pricing).
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:20 am

AUS-BUR/AMS are two routes I could probably see, but I wonder how viable this focus city could be without also linking other cities in Texas.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mot29
The DUB flight would pre-clear in Ireland, but not the others, right?
The only airports in Europe with full US pre-clearance are DUB and SNN, and this is unlikely to change in the immediate future, although there have been expressions of interest in having preclearance eventually in place in other European airports.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by discoseal
AUS-BUR/AMS are two routes I could probably see, but I wonder how viable this focus city could be without also linking other cities in Texas.
I think you'll be waiting a long time before you see service to Burbank, CA ;-)
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
Delta has about 10% of the market in BNA, very very distant 2nd to SWA. It's a focus city because it's a booming city and they think they can GET a bunch of new business, not (just) because they want to keep existing business.

DL has 13.5% market share at BNA compared to AA’s 14.8%....and that gap is closing....DL is also growing twice as fast as AA (something like +13% vs +7%)

[img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/e48ccfc2-368c-46b7-ad70-a10fed002834[/img]
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I'm old enough to remember when most (all?) of NW's TATL flights were out of Boston (early 90's). Lots of memories changing there -- along with taking my Fly-Write coupons to a ticket office in a mall to exchange them for an "Executive Class" TATL ticket
Yes, PIK, then GLA, OSL and other Scandinavian destinations, I seem to recall.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The only airports in Europe with full US pre-clearance are DUB and SNN, and this is unlikely to change in the immediate future, although there have been expressions of interest in having preclearance eventually in place in other European airports.
Which still leaves the question of whether DL will build out a Customs and Immigration facility at Term A if they are flying to/from multiple European destinations from BOS. Granted the walk from E to A is an easy one.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dafunk10
DL has 13.5% market share at BNA compared to AA’s 14.8%....and that gap is closing....DL is also growing twice as fast as AA (something like +13% vs +7%)
That really surprises me, only 13.5%? Honestly I would have thought it was more. The growth doesn't surprise me though, usually used to only leave from B1,2,3,4, then 5 and 6 now I have even left from 9 a few times.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by defrosted
That really surprises me, only 13.5%? Honestly I would have thought it was more. The growth doesn't surprise me though, usually used to only leave from B1,2,3,4, then 5 and 6 now I have even left from 9 a few times.

think about the growth though.....BNA went from 13M in 2016, 14.1M in 2017, to 16M in 2018....and while all of the existing carriers have grown in that time, it has also included adding service from AS, BA, G4, WS, SY, F9, and now NK in those numbers as well

I believe a few years ago DL was around 10% of market share, so to gain ~3.5% in 2-3 years is not bad
1readyset2go likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.