Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I can't, in my wildest dreams, imagine multiple daily D1 transcons.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really? I mean, I also think it's unlikely, but on the other hand, it is now one of the wealthiest regions in the world. Who knows?
I can imagine it, but like you I'm not holding my breath. If they were to start by adding it to the list of cities with once-daily D1 service then maybe dare to dream
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
Maybe ORD is two things...first it's being added as a destination from focus cities & smaller hubs so it's almost sneaking up as a focus city.
Second, if it seems like DL is playing offense in ORD it makes UA/AA and just across town WN play Defense. And they probably aren't looking for or ready for that if they're also gearing up in AUS, SJC, BNA etc.
I'm commuting RDU-CHI at least twice a month now, sometimes four times a month. I fly WN when there's a high probability of having to change my plans, and DL as long as I avoid Sundays and Mondays. So far it's been about 40% DL/60% WN, with AA F awards using excess BA miles already ticketed for Thanksgiving and Christmas as there's only a marginal redeposit fee.

I think the thing with ORD is that American has always been kinda meh there since 9/11. In the early 2000s, the Aarpey regime really cut back on flights from ORD to smaller cities in the Eastern time zone, downgrading a lot of MD80/F100 routes such as ALB to a mix of MD80/E145 and then eventually just E145. That's been rectified in recent years with CR7s, but it hurt them long term. They just don't do anything exciting at ORD. It's the type of place that Doug Parker loves to abandon in favor of his fortress hubs. And DL is lurking to jump in as much as T5 will allow them to do should AA start to wander away. [DL at Midway is constrained to three gates (A5, A7, A10), which limits them to just ATL/MSP/DTW operations, plus they run a lot of sports team charters through there.]

DL/Skyteam isn't flying any non-hub flights out of ORD yet. Just flights to hubs and focus cities, and a fair amount of CR9/E75 flying. RDU has settled into 1xCR9, 2xCR7. BOS looks to start as all E75/E70, just like LaGuardia is. JFK has been 3-4 CR9/day since probably right when the CR9s were launched. And several SkyTeam partners fly to ORD - AF, KL, AM, KE, and I think one of the Chinese ones.

ORD-LAX is the obvious gap to fill next. If they start ORD-AUS or ORD-SJC, then it's going to be a war. The other big DL hole for ORD-based east coast fliers is DCA, I think DL could do well if they flew CR9s 2x/day TueWedFri and 3x/day Mon/Thu, timed for business in DCA. AA is notiously bad for evening flight delays on DCA-ORD, and there's not much more cranky than a bunch of Capitol Hill folks who are delayed going home for the weekend.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Zorak
I can imagine it, but like you I'm not holding my breath. If they were to start by adding it to the list of cities with once-daily D1 service then maybe dare to dream
Once daily D1 service wouldn't justify a SkyClub tho. I think you need something like 4x daily D1. I don't see it. DL tends to focus domestic D1 on the most competitive routes. So that means both AA and UA would have to get into the game also with multiple daily transcons of their own. I really really don't see it.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Once daily D1 service wouldn't justify a SkyClub tho. I think you need something like 4x daily D1. I don't see it. DL tends to focus domestic D1 on the most competitive routes. So that means both AA and UA would have to get into the game also with multiple daily transcons of their own. I really really don't see it.
Oh, sure -- I meant, *if* they ever added a once-daily D1 to JFK, then we could start to dream about multiple daily D1 and only then, maybe, a SC. Baby steps
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
What is the criteria for a SC? BNA has one, no D1 as no international flights at all.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by defrosted
What is the criteria for a SC? BNA has one, no D1 as no international flights at all.
Well there are no rules of course; the criteria for a SC is that DL decides to open one.

This is simply my take on what would likely be needed for DL to make that decision at SJC.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by defrosted
I think it has a lot to do with cities where DL is trying to increase their market share. Most of the new and renovated sky clubs have been at airports where DL has a clear competitor they're going after (AA at PHX, WN at BNA, etc.)
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
I'm just impressed that 7 pages in, this thread is nowhere near as argumentative (and pedantic) as airliners.net would have been over the same topic.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Are Sky Clubs in and of themselves meant to be profitable at this stage (I know that historically they were not)? Or are they only meant to drive more premium traffic?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by iansltx
To clarify my earlier comment re: PVG, was talking about UA's SFO-PVG route (2x daily 787s). Versus making folks connect via LAX.

Now, on the topic of connections/routings, RDU makes perfect sense to allow routings through; it's 400 mi from ATL and while smaller planes mean more cost per seat mile the smaller size of the airport/potentially shorter flight time/potentially shorter reasonable connection time may make a routing worth it.

Whereas, sure, you *could* connect through BOS but it's the wrong place on the map for anything other than international. Same with JFK/LGA; they are and will be heavily O&D focused 'til the end of time. Which explains why Delta hasn't been scrambling to get out of JFK T2.

By contrast, SJC might actually be in a decent spot for connections in that area (again, avoiding LAX), and Delta already carries a pretty good chunk of passenger traffic considering how few destinations they currently serve. When you combine mainline and regional (since Compass exclusively flies for Delta), they're actually bigger than AS there, despite all the destinations AS serves, so if DL wants to take the fight to AS in yet another city there's nothing stopping them.

As for AUS, I doubt we'll get used for connections much. Yes, we're central, but from what I hear DL only wants five or six gates, and they have plenty of O&D traffic to pull from...and we're pretty far south (though no worse than HOU/IAH). Maybe SJA-AUS-RDU would work though

s it stands, upgauging seems to be happening quite quickly. RDU is back to a CR9, and 717s are gone from both DTW and MSP, at least for now. ATL is all-A321, and basically the only actual hub served by a regional jet now is SLC (and even then the majority of flights are mainline). Seems like DL is content to bump up aircraft size as soon as they hit 3x daily service to anywhere, rather than adding frequency, and of course longer routes get bumped up sooner than that because they're competing against full-sized planes flying relatively rarely. Maybe their plan is to siphon off what's currently connecting traffic into 1x daily point-to-point routes and bump those hub routes back down size-wise as a result...though that's riskier to do now that they're competing with F9/NK/WN on basically all of them.
The only way I can figure DL is bigger than AS in SJC is if you include regionals for DL and not for AS. Per SJC's annual report for 2018 AS had 17.6% of enplanements versus 10.4%for DL (AA was at 9.3%). AS 's share grew slightly from 17.2% and DL's actually shrunk from 11.3%.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL GM, F9 50K, NK Gold...AS MVP 50K soon?
Sorry, missed that CP has started flying for AA. And inconveniently forgot how much of SJC's AS footprint is actually OO (or Horizon? They do E75s now too right?).

​​​​​​FWIW AUS has the same linear terminal problem as SJC.

Good to know re: connections through RDU. My previous theory aside, that makes sense If they had enough connections to upgauge they should've been running those through ATL in the first place.

In other news, where did all the 717s go? Are they back in ATL doing short haul?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Are Sky Clubs in and of themselves meant to be profitable at this stage (I know that historically they were not)? Or are they only meant to drive more premium traffic?
Well now that one-time passes have been axed, I'd have to say no.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Well now that one-time passes have been axed, I'd have to say no.
Sure, but what about the many one time passes that are available through various Amex cards? Plus alcohol sales (which I doubt amounts to much). I wonder if they at least break even?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA
Delta: “we aspire to grow our operations in this list of cities we’re focusing on.”
FlyerTalk: “those cities can’t be focus cities - they don’t have much service yet!”
Yep, it is all about the definition of "focus."

I'll throw out another one. "Focus" (as is being used by DL) refers to marketing efforts, not to current operations.

DL: "We need to focus more marketing efforts on certain cities."

FT: "This makes no sense; some cities have more frequent and diverse flight schedules than those!"
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Or a 787. Right now, BA, NK, and HU all fly 787s for their intercontinental flights.
Actually, All Nippon Airways does had 787 Dreamliner, not Spirit Airlines. Spirit Airlines is only for A319, A320, A321, and A320neo, as well.

UA doesn't operate SJC-PVG and I can't see DL trying it either. Air China tried it very briefly.

ICN is the only Asian city I can see DL trying.
Actually, UA does still flies SFO-PVG, not SJC-PVG.

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Do you mean NH? I think NK is spirit... 787s would be some development there...
Actually, All Nippon Airways, not Spirit Airlines. It's NH, not NK. NK is for Spirit Airlines and NH is for All Nippon Airways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.