Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Somewhat related to this, I heard a claim today that now MSP is DL's #2 (whatever this means, total flights, total passengers, profits, etc.) hub surpassing DTW. Yeah, we now have the ICN flight, but I don't see evidence otherwise that MSP is scaling up in some sense or that DTW is significantly contracting.
DL regularly identifies both DTW and MSP as its second largest hubs; at various times of the year, one is larger than the other but ultimately they're about even. DTW has lead MSP in flights and enplanements for years, the latter not by much (~250,000). Size is generally measured in ASM, so really JFK is DL's #2 .
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
The Medallions in Nashville and at RDU got cool socks in the mail last year.
That is the definition of "new focus city" right there.

So SJC seems to be the most aspirational one right now with only one nonstop to a non-hub (LAS).
It was the launch destination for the A220 in SEA.
To really be a focus city it will need something more than a few token flights up and down the West Coast.
I bet we see AUS, RDU, and BOS from SJC in the next year.
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
How can AUS, SJC, and BNA be compared to CVG? CVG outnumbers them in flights by quite a significant margin. CVG also has a pilot, flight attendant, and maintenance base.
And MCO outnumbers all of them in seats per day by far.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by bsagator
And MCO outnumbers all of them in seats per day by far.
Can we look at gross margin on those seats?

I suspect DL runs MCO flights as a loss leader to keep otherwise valued customers from flying other airlines. Otherwise they would be happy to see it sink into the ocean.
BearX220, BenA and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Enjoy flying SJC, much better on-time performance. When SFO has low cloud, SJC is fine. Wish there will be a second SJC-DTW, maybe red-eye? SJC-BOS will also make sense. Even SJC-RDU because of tech traffic?
SJC ORD LDR likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by mot29
If BOS is going to be a 'secondary trans-Atlantic gateway' quoting Amy Martin, managing director of domestic network planning, does that suggest a build-out of an immigration and customs facility in Terminal A? I seem to recall reading that the terminal was built with that in mind.
The DUB flight would pre-clear in Ireland, but not the others, right?
I'm old enough to remember when most (all?) of NW's TATL flights were out of Boston (early 90's). Lots of memories changing there -- along with taking my Fly-Write coupons to a ticket office in a mall to exchange them for an "Executive Class" TATL ticket
BearX220, mot29 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Well, this settles once and for all the age old FT debate of “does Delta consider CVG to still be a hub”
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I don't think anybody could point to any rational metric that currently makes SJC a focus city.

Now I believe it would be an excellent idea for DL to pursue (obviously there's a lot of money in this region). If they do that, I think DL could even make SJC-CDG and SJC-ICN work with A330s.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cayohueso
Austin is home to Apple's secondary HQ with a million sqft campus and plans to expand it, making them the largest private sector employer in the city. I think San Jose fits into that plan.
Maybe, maybe, maybe Apple might employ the most in Austin proper, but they are not the largest private sector employer in the metro area.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by lonelygod
Enjoy flying SJC, much better on-time performance. When SFO has low cloud, SJC is fine. Wish there will be a second SJC-DTW, maybe red-eye? SJC-BOS will also make sense. Even SJC-RDU because of tech traffic?
There may be no more enduring FT myth than the notion that SJC is ripe for expansion. As long as SFO exists, SJC will be left with table scraps.
ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
There may be no more enduring FT myth than the notion that SJC is ripe for expansion. As long as SFO exists, SJC will be left with table scraps.
There may be no dumber post on FT then that one. SJC has been the fastest growing airport in the US for at least the last 2 years
steve64 and third_wave like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vike16
SJC I don't get. Per https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Jo...tional_Airport, which in terms cites government data, for March 2018-February 2019, Southwest is easily #1 with half the market and Delta is at #4 , though if you add in Compass, then it looks like they just barely nudge out Alaska for #2 . Same thing for Nashville where they only fly to their hubs with 11.12% of the market plus whatever share of the Connection flights they have. I was thinking to be able to call it a focus city you should have at least 20% of the market with a good chunk of flights to nonhubs. Or maybe it's a sign that said flights are coming.
DL has made itself #3 at SJC behind WN (with 50%) and AS (with 13%). 10 years ago, it had one flight to MSP, one redeye to ATL, and a mix of mainline and CRJs to SLC. So, it's made a lot of headway. But, the DL operation here is still much smaller than SFO.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette

No way. With the way traffic is in the Bay Area, there is no way I will fly to SFO anymore. I'll take an extra connection to fly out of SJC. What used to be a 45 minute drive can take 1:45 on a bad day.

SJC is in Silicon Valley. SFO is not.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
I don't think anybody could point to any rational metric that currently makes SJC a focus city.

Now I believe it would be an excellent idea for DL to pursue (obviously there's a lot of money in this region). If they do that, I think DL could even make SJC-CDG and SJC-ICN work with A330s.
Or a 787. Right now, BA, NK, and HU all fly 787s for their intercontinental flights.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Or a 787. Right now, BA, NK, and HU all fly 787s for their intercontinental flights.
DL doesn't have any 787s

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.