Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta has a list of focus cities, and some are surprising

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ab2013

CVG should always have a special place in DL's network given its former hub status and large FF base.
It is also the only airport where I have seen a uniform/pilot & FA merch store inside an airport on the concourse
Old Jun 4, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I wish DL would actually focus on ATL but thats just me....

(disclaimer: obviously I know ATL is the global HQ etc my point is I wish DL would FOCUS on all the issues/failures with DL at ATL instead of focusing on where they can build out next. In other words sometimes you grow too quickly and need to focus on what made you successful to begin with)
What are the issues at ATL? Other than when there's weather, the airport works just fine. It's one of the most efficient large airports in the world.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yohanson
I can't see them expanding to cities based on a cities tech sector. My megacorp is using technology in an attempt to eliminate as much travel as possible and we are a technology company. I believe more and more companies are doing the same thing. My boss has been telling me for over a year that he is trying to eliminate my travel as much as possible. My days as a DM are probably numbered.
As a past megacorp employee, whose company even built remote collaboration solutions, there was still plenty of travel necessary: recruiting for interviews, visits to suppliers and factories, exhibition at conferences, collaboration visits across international development centers, family/personal travel for transplant employees, and disposable income vacations for everyone. Despite what folks who set the travel budgets might wish for, there’s still plenty of demand caused by the sector in both business and leisure travel.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by xliioper
The CVG focus is pretty clearly on O&D traffic based on the flights DL has chosen to retain there. Yes, they still connect people through CVG, but you certainly can't call that it's "focus". Note that RDU is also a valid connecting airport for a number of DL's published fares.
JFK-RDU-TPA is a valid fare. Had to do it due to irrops after getting in from BCN and figured it might have been just because of IRROPS but it is a bookable fare.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
What are the issues at ATL? Other than when there's weather, the airport works just fine. It's one of the most efficient large airports in the world.
Efficient, lolwhut? An international arrival @ATL with checked baggage experience generally equals your typical 3rd world airport experience from 5-10 years ago.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by iansltx
But for SJC, unless United spilling the beans about their contract with Apple costs them their contract with Apple, saying SJC will get Apple traffic on DL is a stretch. .
Apple is hardly the only large employer in the area, not to mention the endless amount of very well funded startups that also have travel needs.

I can't see them expanding to cities based on a cities tech sector. .
I think they are expanding to areas where there is a strong economy and room for continued growth. I doubt they are focusing on tech, but tech is where that strong growth is right now, and it's growth that is likely to survive the next recession.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
It’s too bad The Club at SJC will now occupy the lounge space opposite gate 7. If SJC were truly going to be a focus city, a Sky Club there would have been ideal.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Is that right? I thought SJC got a bunch of the 717 traffic when those were out west... the SJC-LAS flight has always been a bit of a headscratcher to me but I guess this would explain it, somewhat.
Might be wrong about SLC, but last summer SEA-SJC was operated as 6xE75, going to 2xA221/4xE75 this summer and 4xA221/2xE75 later this fall. That’s almost a 30% growth in ASMs there.

Point is, I think DL’s goal is to expand SJC with by adding capacity to existing hubs. I don’t think they’re looking to hub SJC or add new spokes. SJC already has a significant AS/WN prescence.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jj243
It’s too bad The Club at SJC will now occupy the lounge space opposite gate 7. If SJC were truly going to be a focus city, a Sky Club there would have been ideal.

I don't really see this happening unless they try to roll out any D1 routes, either to Asia or, more likely, to JFK.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA

IND had been a long standing focus city dating back to the NW days. I suspect it’s now at the point where DL is happy with their business and capacity there, though.

I think it’s worth reiterating this is just an internal label. Once upon a time, the “focus city” designation mattered because it determined cities where connections were permitted in routing rules in fares. But now, DL almost always publishes specific constructed routes, and those lists of cities don't match the designations anymore. (For example, LAS sometimes shows up as a permitted connecting city, but AUS and RDU rarely seem to.)
Disagree about RDU. Checking on EF, its listed as a valid routing option in the routing rules on many fares between cities which have non-stop service to RDU. Noticed that DL seems to have finally removed MEM as a routing option on fares (seems like they had left it in many fare routing rules for years after they killed off the hub).
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Apple is hardly the only large employer in the area, not to mention the endless amount of very well funded startups that also have travel needs.
Cisco has large campuses near SJC and RDU, and generates a fair amount of traffic on that route. And as you said, it's hardly the only one with that exact need.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Cisco has large campuses near SJC and RDU, and generates a fair amount of traffic on that route. And as you said, it's hardly the only one with that exact need.
Yes, and Google and Facebook both have offices in various parts of the world, including NYC and AUS.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes, and Google and Facebook both have offices in various parts of the world, including NYC and AUS.
Google is supposed to build a new large campus just to the west of downtown (near the San Jose Arena aka Shark Tank). That's about 3 miles from SJC.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
I can't see them expanding to cities based on a cities tech sector. My megacorp is using technology in an attempt to eliminate as much travel as possible and we are a technology company. I believe more and more companies are doing the same thing. My boss has been telling me for over a year that he is trying to eliminate my travel as much as possible. My days as a DM are probably numbered.
We have been doing that for the 21 years I have worked there and I am still DM. I do think it is changing but at a snail's pace.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
I think part of the reason that SJC is seeing so much domestic seat growth is the upgauges of RJs to the A220, especially on SEA/SLC-SJC. This will be the first year DL operates mainline on SEA-SJC. Highly doubt that they're looking to launch international flights out of SJC like what some Anetters are saying.

CVG should always have a special place in DL's network given its former hub status and large FF base.
Amen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.