Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Best Delta Sky Club at Atlanta Airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Delta Sky Club at Atlanta Airport?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Hi again,

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like E, F or B would be the best option. How long does it take to get from, say, F to B? I am worried that we will be pressed for time when our flight is called to get to the gate on time, but I’d like to go to the best Sky Club that I can, as we will be paying extra to admit guests.

Also, can anyone confirm - with the Amex Platinum, we are flying with Virgin Atlantic to Atlanta and then to Florida on a Virgin marketed but Delta operated flight - so even if the code isn’t delta, but rather virgin, as it is delta operated I am assuming we would still get access?

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2019, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Megan Murray
Hi again,

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like E, F or B would be the best option. How long does it take to get from, say, F to B? I am worried that we will be pressed for time when our flight is called to get to the gate on time, but I’d like to go to the best Sky Club that I can, as we will be paying extra to admit guests.

Also, can anyone confirm - with the Amex Platinum, we are flying with Virgin Atlantic to Atlanta and then to Florida on a Virgin marketed but Delta operated flight - so even if the code isn’t delta, but rather virgin, as it is delta operated I am assuming we would still get access?

Thanks!
Here's the link to the Delta page for SC access by method of access. I tried to c/p the AMEX Plat cardholder method of access, but couldn't.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sky-club/access

A same day Delta operated flight gives the ticketholder/cardholder complimentary access AND the opportunity to pay a guest fee or up to two guests.

I actually had to correct my initial words with respect to the guest fee: It appears that AMEX Delta Reserve members have an "exclusive per-visit rate of $29" for their guests. The wording implies that the reduced guest rate does NOT apply to the Platinum card, yet there is a guest fee.

I learned first hand at the JFK SC when I was traveling as a party of four. I had both AX Plat & Delta Reserve and another had AX Plat, while the other two had no credentials. Two guest fees were assessed.

Also note that the guest fee language states "per-visit" and the discontinued "Single Visit Pass" (which was not called a "Day Pass") seem to imply that "club hopping" could get expensive for each guest.

Lastly, which you might already know, "select Platinum Cards" qualify, not all. For years I've had an AMEX Platinum Optima card which does not qualify. My guess is that its "No annual fee" status means it doesn't include the SC benefit. AMEX can let you know if your card qualifies for that benefit, if you're not sure.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Hi again,

It takes ~15 minutes to go from F to T (end to end).

To be honest, as someone who lives in Atlanta, the difference between "Best" and "Not Best" isn't that great. They all have seats and light meals, BEF are more airy and have expansive outside views, and the "lousy" club is in the basement. But the "average" T terminal club is still decent.

To give you an idea of how little I think it matters, I usually clear security at F, and unless my plane is leaving in ~2 hours from C or D, I will go to the Skyclub in the terminal my plane is departing from.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Hi again,

Do not expect to hear your flight called from the SC. Plan to leave the SC on your own timing.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CloneCones
The E SkyClub is probably my favorite during the winter only because most people that fly are couples and families flying south for a warm vacation. That means less people in that lounge, especially since a first class ticket doesn't get you in since Caribbean isn't considered international for SkyClub access. F is my favorite overall because of the outdoor lounge area but then again, in the winter I don't go out there that much.

E is a fantastic lounge and you'll have no issues with that one.

I rank the Skyclubs in tiers at ATL
Tier 1: B, E, F (alphabetical)
Tier 2: A16, T
Tier 3: C36
Tier 4: D27
Tier Kill Me: D11

In terms of getting around ATL? Extremely easy and there is a train that connects every terminal. Every Skyclub will be available to you.
I'd put the T club with E and F and demote B to levels of hell reserved for special people. T is never crowded, and the staff are great. It helps that there's so few gates in the T concourse and that they're normally business heavy, meaning less children. DL tends to send WAS/NYC airport flights out of the T gates.

B is just awful. Way too big, not enough staff, etc...
HeadInTheClouds and SSF556 like this.
Old May 15, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM
Even with the SkyDeck closed for a undetermined amount of time to install the roof, I will still go out of my way to go to F if I have a bit of time. The elevator to the right of the entrance is a nice shortcut from the upper level to the plane train and vice versa, and can cut travel time to the other terminals. I want to like B, I like the dual-facing windows, diversity of seating, the high ceilings, but the crowds make going to the bar/buffet/restroom feel like you're going through the boarding process an extra time!

Can someone reminder me which ATL Skyclub(s) have the fresh peanut butter grinders, instead of those processed, peanut-inspired Smuckers packs?
Old May 15, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I realize many of the complaints on this forum are "first world problems", I also realize some of the comments are in jest. This is not intended to trivialize anyone's complaints in comparing one SkyClub to another.

But can I bring this thread back down to earth? Most travelers that haven't experienced a SkyClub would walk into B or even D *gasp*, take one look around and see free food and drink and a comfy spot to sit and rejoice in comparison to having to wait in a fast food line (with equally or worse staff attitudes) and fight for plastic chairs or worse eat at the gate. If the Clubs are busy the 'common folk' concourses are worse!

Again I get it some of the SkyClubs are far superior to others, but even the worst one isn't that terrible. The comparison to the 7 circles of hell or whatever is a bit much.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
T is never crowded, and the staff are great. It helps that there's so few gates in the T concourse and that they're normally business heavy, meaning less children. DL tends to send WAS/NYC airport flights out of the T gates.
T does get very crowded for a brief period every weekday morning before all the Medallions leave on the early LGA/DCA flights. The rest of the time, it is pretty sane.

My beef with B is that it is crowded and the physical layout is extremely convoluted. You gotta step over people's legs trying to make your way to an aisle to get to the bar/restroom/food. It's just a plain crappy design. On the plus side, they keep the food restocked.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by ajggiant
Can someone reminder me which ATL Skyclub(s) have the fresh peanut butter grinders, instead of those processed, peanut-inspired Smuckers packs?
T has one
Old May 15, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: DL
With Amex Platinum I'd try the Priority Lounge in F. It has a wider selection of food and drink and all is free. It's right across from the SC on the upper level. I haven't checked recently but I have taken guest in for free as well.

Last edited by jlc1978; May 15, 2019 at 8:06 am Reason: typo
Old May 15, 2019, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jlc1978
With Amex Platinum I'd try the Priority Lounge in F. It has a wider selection of food and drink and all is free. It's right across from the SC on the upper level. I haven't checked recently but I have taken guest in for free as well.
You're referring to The Club, correct? I took a guest in with me for free one time. From what I understand, Priority Pass and The Club have the same owners.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I always go to T. Very quiet and staff is very helpful since it is so quiet. T.
(And I am glad that it does not get mentioned much here.)
Old May 15, 2019, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by estedman
D11 skyclub is a magical experience.
Is D11 the old Continental club?
Old May 15, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by g289t
You're referring to The Club, correct? I took a guest in with me for free one time. From what I understand, Priority Pass and The Club have the same owners.
you still need to have a PP membership (gratis with Amex Platinum) as well as your card on hand to enter, right? Just don't want OP caught off guard by this requirement if they decide to try this route.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by jlc1978
IME, the only reason to use that place is to get guests in for free. The food is definitely poor compared to DL and it gets overcrowded in the afternoons and evenings as all Priority Pass, and premium QR, BA, etc., have access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.