Wiki Posts
Search

seat duplication error

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
seat duplication error

woke up to an email today that due to a seat duplication error i was downgraded from w to y (no change in equipment) on sfo-bos. i had this fixed already just was surprised by it. does anyone know what would cause this? surely the system is smart enough to only assign a seat once. possible fam or vip?

Last edited by runningformqm; May 6, 2019 at 10:43 am
Old May 6, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
I had this happen to me recently too on Delta. They kept me in the same cabin but different seat. Same thing no equipment change either here so it's odd on why this is happening and that the notification comes a few days before flight, I personally think they needed that seat for someone and just moved someone but they claimed no that wasn't the case and this happens every once in a while not sure if that is true.
runningformqm likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by runningformqm
woke up to an email today that due to a seat duplication error i was downgraded from w to y (no change in equipment) on sfo-bos. i had this fixed already just was surprised by it. does anyone know what would cause this? surely the system is smart enough to only assign a seat once. possible fam or vip?
Was your C+ seat a free elite "upgrade" or did you pay a W fare? If it was an upgrade (I assume a PM eouldn't use RUCs or miles for such an "upgrade"), when were you upgraded?

Also, is it possible that you picked or were assigned seats that are normally set aside for passengers with special needs?
Old May 6, 2019, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was your C+ seat a free elite "upgrade" or did you pay a W fare? If it was an upgrade (I assume a PM eouldn't use RUCs or miles for such an "upgrade"), when were you upgraded?

Also, is it possible that you picked or were assigned seats that are normally set aside for passengers with special needs?
it was my free upgrade as pm, i picked my regular seat on this plane (15c)..bulkhead aisle w behind f
Old May 6, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I was booked in a full fare J seat from CDG-DTW. Had chosen window/aisle seat in Delta One. I was not Elite, but, hey it WAS a fully refundable J seat with a hefty price tag. A week later I got the dreaded "Seat Duplication" email. Booted me to the center section, although an aisle seat. No other single window/aisle seats were left.

I figured a VIP or Diamond wanted my seat, so out I went.

Have flown plenty of J trips since. None on Delta. That stunt cost them my business. To be fair, I had had other issues with Delta. That was the straw that....
Old May 6, 2019, 4:13 pm

My Coworker had this issue on a recent itinerary. Booked a flight, chose their seats, checked the itinerary later and her and her spouse were both assigned to the same seat. Called Delta, 45 min on the phone, they moved her back to her assigned seat, "it's fixed". Next day, back in the same seat again. Rinse and repeat two more times. Finally they called, moved them to two completely new seats and so far that has stuck. No more changes since.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 6P&E
I was booked in a full fare J seat from CDG-DTW. Had chosen window/aisle seat in Delta One. I was not Elite, but, hey it WAS a fully refundable J seat with a hefty price tag. A week later I got the dreaded "Seat Duplication" email. Booted me to the center section, although an aisle seat. No other single window/aisle seats were left.

I figured a VIP or Diamond wanted my seat, so out I went.

Have flown plenty of J trips since. None on Delta. That stunt cost them my business. To be fair, I had had other issues with Delta. That was the straw that....
Unless in a bulkhead it was a duplicate . DL doesn't move passengers just because a DM asks. Duplicate seats happen on all airlines. It happens when using 1960/70s technology .
Old May 6, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
it was my free upgrade as pm, i picked my regular seat on this plane (15c)..bulkhead aisle w behind f
Any passenger in Y with a fused leg or with a service animal would be placed in that row. True even if seats all assigned.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Unless in a bulkhead it was a duplicate . DL doesn't move passengers just because a DM asks. Duplicate seats happen on all airlines. It happens when using 1960/70s technology .
That's what they say, but some GAs will move seats without permission just to seat a couple together. It shouldn't happen but it does.
Spiff and strickerj like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Any passenger in Y with a fused leg or with a service animal would be placed in that row. True even if seats all assigned.
while I understand why they need (and should) have those seats does the fact that its now a "separate" cabin (by dl's definition) affect that?
Old May 6, 2019, 5:27 pm

while I understand why they need (and should) have those seats does the fact that its now a "separate" cabin (by dl's definition) affect that?
It is based on US DOT regulations, and is regardless of the booked class of travel.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by 8420PR
It is based on US DOT regulations, and is regardless of the booked class of travel.
Sort of. The Air Carrier Access Act only requires an airline to accommodate in the same cabin. However, based on the DOT’s definition of a cabin, Main Cabin and Comfort+ are in the same cabin. IIRC cabin differentiation requires differences in seat width, seats per row, or other criteria that Delta’s Y vs. W experience don’t meet.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM-4MM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hertz Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Say hello to the Air Marshal in your seat.....
Old May 6, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by OKDiamond
Say hello to the Air Marshal in your seat.....
don’t FAMs normally ride in F rather than C+ (W)?
Old May 6, 2019, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

don’t FAMs normally ride in F rather than C+ (W)?
not anymore. They (thankfully) got booted to the back.

https://onemileatatime.com/us-air-ma...ack-of-planes/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.