Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DM Observation: less complimentary first class upgrades in 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DM Observation: less complimentary first class upgrades in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachsideflier
I'm still trying to sort through all of this, but I read a link on another thread where now 4,000 travelers a day are choosing to upgrade to FC using miles. So I guess something changed to make it much easier to use miles for upgrades because i recall the only option I had to upgrade to first last year was to pay with cash, not miles.
There's probably a decent percentage of those pax who would have chosen the cash option if the mileage option wasn't offered (the mileage amount is simply the cash amount at 1 CPM, but without the 7.5% US excise tax). A handful of anecdotal observations is not really sufficient to be making dramatic generalizations. A number of pax have posted observations that contradict yours. The FCM thread has been around since 2011. It's not like these types of complaints are really new. A lot of upgrade success depends on which routes you fly and when you fly them. You have yet to disclose that highly pertinent piece of information.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Switch to AA and fly out of NYC....lots have abandoned AA and I’m now on my 3rd flight in a week hub to hub with not a single person on the upgrade list.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
My upgrades as a DM have gone way down in 2019. Personally I am going to go dual status as I'll hit my 2020 DM spend this month. Going to status match to AA, and use them for flights I have to connect with. If the SkyMiles devalatution hadn't been so bad, I'd reconsider... but really - what's the point of spending more than 15K with Delta? Other airlines have much better value with miles (although I see they're following Delta's lead with getting rid of award chart)
beachsideflier likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
To everyone thinking of switching away from DL: SOUNDS GREAT! More UGs for me!

Without the actual data at our fingertips, it's going to be impossible to tell. Travel patterns shift, the economy changes, it's really difficult to tell whether upgrades are less often across the board. That being said, if UA or AA offers you a better trip (timings, UG %, etc), you'd be silly not to take it if it doesn't sacrifice the rest of your travels.

Personally, my last few trips have been great: SEA-SFO, SFO-SEA, LAX-SEA and now SEA-JFK have all upgraded at the window or shortly after in the last couple of weeks. I've only missed SEA-LAX, which wasn't a surprise - Friday night and one of the last departures, I wasn't even top 5 on the UG list at the gate!
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:25 pm

from the reading I've done today, it's a new thing to pay for an upgrade with miles. Paying with cash has been around for at least a year, maybe two.
Using miles to cover the upgrade has been around for at least a few years as well. I believe the only thing they changed recently was making it available via mobile, in addition to a PC. IIRC in 2017 I did it on a PC booking.after I bought my coach ticket in cash, then paid the upgrade cost with miles. Also believe it used to require certain economy fare classes to be eligible to use the miles for an upgrade, so I don't think V/X buckets would qualify, which is why people don't always see the option; maybe they changed that too?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I see you are a DM million miler, I am not. Does MM status get you a slot higher on the list then a non MM DM?
I’m a 2MM and the MM doesn’t do anything for upgrades. I’ve retired so not doing as many domestic trips paid for by work this year. But for 4 paid domestic trips this year, one still in progress
all 8 segments upgraded to C+ at booking
3 segments upgraded to FC at the 5 day window
1 segment upgraded to FC at the gate
2 I stayed in C+
2 segments next week, LAX-CVG red eye I took an FCM offer of $184 because this will be after arriving at LAX from AMS and waiting to see what happens CVG-DCA. (This is getting home from the KL LAX-BKK business class deal.)
FC Upgrades are great, but I value other DM benefits too. Will probably still shoot for platinum because of the free cancellation for award flights. That, for me, is a very valuable benefit.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I think DL is reaching critical mass in NYC....the UPG lists are insanse and they have swayed too many corporate and high end leisure travelers.

AA has literally EMPTY UPG lists hub to hub out of here plus 777s to Florida.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I'm NYC based. I book all of my travel very far in the future since my leisure and work travel schedule is set way in advance. I'm at 100% C+ at booking. I have only missed one upgrade this year on PHX-JFK redeye. Otherwise, my companion and I have both been upgraded to F, including on various Delta One transcons.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 4:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Using miles to cover the upgrade has been around for at least a few years as well. I believe the only thing they changed recently was making it available via mobile, in addition to a PC. IIRC in 2017 I did it on a PC booking.after I bought my coach ticket in cash, then paid the upgrade cost with miles. Also believe it used to require certain economy fare classes to be eligible to use the miles for an upgrade, so I don't think V/X buckets would qualify, which is why people don't always see the option; maybe they changed that too?
Did you pay for upgrade with miles online, or did you have to call an agent to perform upgrade? They previously allowed you to upgrade online at time of purchase, but not post purchase. For that you had to call in and request a mileage upgrade award which depended on availability and only certain fare classes were eligible (T or higher for domestic). The ability to pay for FCM offers with miles post-purchase was only added in 2018 and the ability to do it on the mobile app was recently added. They changed the FCM system back in May of 2017. Previously, I would rarely see offers on X/V fares. Now I see them consistently on all flights (including X/V) and the FCM offers no longer appear to vary with original fare class. I've seen the exact same offer for both a revenue ticket and award ticket on the exact same flight. The only time I see them go away seems to be when the number of seats left in the FC buckets drop below a certain threshold (typically 3 or less). I suspect they want set aside a certain number of seats for last minute purchases rather than offering all of them as upgrades.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I missed LAX-SFO for the first time ever this year. Kind of shocking as I've ridden it at least, maybe, 45-50 times?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I'm NYC based. I book all of my travel very far in the future since my leisure and work travel schedule is set way in advance. I'm at 100% C+ at booking. I have only missed one upgrade this year on PHX-JFK redeye. Otherwise, my companion and I have both been upgraded to F, including on various Delta One transcons.
Same % as me. Missed a single DEN-ATL this year but otherwise all F.

Even got an F upgrade into the last empty F seat and now F is sold out...confused both me and the phone agent, but won't turn it down!

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I missed LAX-SFO for the first time ever this year. Kind of shocking as I've ridden it at least, maybe, 45-50 times?
This was one of the few I missed last year. Turns out, I bought the time before many of the partner transpac flights leaving from SFO, thus DL had basically sold all the seats.

One anecdote doesn't doom a route for upgrades....
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by bretthexum
My upgrades as a DM have gone way down in 2019. Personally I am going to go dual status as I'll hit my 2020 DM spend this month. Going to status match to AA, and use them for flights I have to connect with. If the SkyMiles devalatution hadn't been so bad, I'd reconsider... but really - what's the point of spending more than 15K with Delta? Other airlines have much better value with miles (although I see they're following Delta's lead with getting rid of award chart)
interesting idea of going dual status. I live close to MCO and they have a lot of direct SWA flights, I could fly but I've always stayed loyal with Delta and often times route through ATL to get where I'm going (which I could have taken a direct on SWA). So I'm now considering I'll use SWA for any direct flights I can find, and use Delta for the rest, my status will probably drop down to GM but that will still provide Sky Priority boarding. I know with GM I'll probably never get a FC upgrade, but who cares at this point since my DM status is getting me fewer upgrades and I'd expect that as Delta refines the algorithms (to monetize FC) to where everyone is paying (miles or cash) for upgrades. The comp. upgrades inventory will dry up even more of the coming years.
bretthexum likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: DL 2 MM
I'm am about same as last year as a DM flying out of MKE.

For segments that should 'count' I have missed 3 of 31, so a bit better than 90%.

Not included in the above are 6 FCM segments, and 4 RUC segments.

Also not included are 2 segments traveling w/ a companion (only had C+)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Man.. all this thread is telling me is how lucky other people are.

There was a stretch in January where I was getting lucky with battlefield upgrades (went to gate #1 of 0 and cleared due to a noshow) - but I haven't gotten a non-RUC F upgrade in the past 2.5 months. Spent yesterday in a middle exit row seat (woohoo).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:26 am

from the reading I've done today, it's a new thing to pay for an upgrade with miles. Paying with cash has been around for at least a year, maybe two.
There were (and may still be) milage upgrade awards, but DL did not really advertise these and the inventory of these was pretty restricted, which certainly does not seem to be the case with upgrade with miles seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.