FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DM Observation: less complimentary first class upgrades in 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1964920-dm-observation-less-complimentary-first-class-upgrades-2019-a.html)

beachsideflier Apr 11, 2019 10:13 am

DM Observation: less complimentary first class upgrades in 2019

Hi All,

I haven't been on this forum in quite some time and wondering if any of my fellow DM's have made a similar observation.

I've been a DM since '16 and I would describe my complimentary upgrades to first class as pretty consistent over the years until this year. It seems like I'm getting fewer upgrades to FC than the previous years and it seems to be just about impossible to burn a regional upgrade pass. I'll get to the gate and I"m number one on the list but there's never any seats available so no comp. upgrade.

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed and if it has, please point me to the thread so I can read up on what's happening.

Warmest Regards,
Beachsideflier

BusTrav8yrs Apr 11, 2019 10:44 am

It has, just search FCM.

Ordhater Apr 11, 2019 11:10 am

My upgrade percentage is actually up this year, 80% compared to 54% in the same period last year, but I have seen some very tempting FCM offers, so Delta must be trying even harder to sell those seats. I'm expecting my % to decline going forward.

orca15 Apr 11, 2019 11:20 am

I have the opposite experience as well- maybe 90%. Several have been RUCs that got me to #1 for 0 seats, then cleared for a no show, but hey, I'll take them. Just got 7 for 8 with a companion on the last trip, including 4 for 4 TCON.

FlyBitcoin Apr 11, 2019 11:26 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ncreasing.html

From the conference call yesterday. More AMEX signups, and more usage so more miles to spend. Rollout of FCM to mobile has really increased redemptions for upgrades. Lots of folks biting on those FCM offers the day before, or the week of the flight.

I have definitely seen fewer upgrades post at the windows compared to the measly results last year based in ATL.

beachsideflier Apr 11, 2019 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs (Post 30989429)
It has, just search FCM.

Thank you! I searched for it and did some reading. So the cliff notes version is Delta has decided to make more money on the FC cabin so there's less supply available for DM's like me to get a comp. upgrade.

What a bummer, FC comp. upgrades are why I've been such a loyal customer being a larger guy it made a huge difference in my weekly travel comfort. Has there been any information released to see if Delta will start monetizing the Comfort Plus seats and it get harder for a DM to get one of those seats?

FlyBitcoin Apr 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Did not see much discussion of C+ yesterday in the earnings report.
They are trying to deal with the myriad of travelers who do not see being placed in a middle C+ after reserving a window or aisle in Main Cabin as an upgrade.
So by keeping those seats emptier and not full of unhappy upgraders (I've sat next to quite of few of them), then perhaps they might be able to monetize them to less savvy travelers. More likely they will just get assigned at the gate to BE fare holders.

Mr. Tickets Apr 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by beachsideflier (Post 30990071)
Thank you! I searched for it and did some reading. So the cliff notes version is Delta has decided to make more money on the FC cabin so there's less supply available for DM's like me to get a comp. upgrade.

What a bummer, FC comp. upgrades are why I've been such a loyal customer being a larger guy it made a huge difference in my weekly travel comfort. Has there been any information released to see if Delta will start monetizing the Comfort Plus seats and it get harder for a DM to get one of those seats?

Comfort Plus seats are already somewhat limited for upgrades. (They are capacity controlled, but not to the extent of FC). Have to remember, Delta is in the business of making
money, not giving things away. In the "olden days" there was a much large difference in first and economy tickets, so many people didn't opt to pay the difference and a lot of seats
went unsold. Delta then could offer them for free to their clients with status. As the difference between first and coach decreased, more people opted to pay up for first. As I like to say, "if they can't sell it to someone else, they will give it to to someone"

beachsideflier Apr 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets (Post 30990165)
Comfort Plus seats are already somewhat limited for upgrades. (They are capacity controlled, but not to the extent of FC). Have to remember, Delta is in the business of making
money, not giving things away. In the "olden days" there was a much large difference in first and economy tickets, so many people didn't opt to pay the difference and a lot of seats
went unsold. Delta then could offer them for free to their clients with status. As the difference between first and coach decreased, more people opted to pay up for first. As I like to say, "if they can't sell it to someone else, they will give it to to someone"

agreed, they are in the business of making money and I don't begrudge that fact. I guess I started to feel like the FC upgrades were a reward for my loyalty and increased customer satisfaction of getting the upgrade and not just complimentary. Now that my flying experience has changed somewhat my satisfaction and feeling of loyalty has taken a turn for the worse. Probably Delta assumes I'll get used to the new normal of less comp. FC upgrades or do you think they simply put less value in a loyal DM then in the past?

FlyBitcoin Apr 11, 2019 2:29 pm

Relatively speaking the GUC's and (to a lesser extent) the RUC's (as well as the other choice benefits) are becoming the primary way DL shows loyalty to their upper tiers. Especially those that fly the routes where DL has high load factors and little competition.

On the routes with more competition and lower load factors, there will still be complimentary upgrades, but for the longer routes especially to/from a hub to a major city, the GUC's and RUC's will be the only way to score upgrades if their FCM program does what it is supposed to.

Frogbone Apr 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Quite the opposite here for 2019 :
75 % upgraded to F
13 % upgraded to C+
10 % CRJ 200
(numbers rounded down)
Pretty good mix of gate upgrades and upgrades at booking.
No complaints here.

davetravels Apr 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by beachsideflier (Post 30990229)
I guess I started to feel like the FC upgrades were a reward for my loyalty

https://media1.tenor.com/images/70e6...itemid=9747881

Probably Delta assumes I'll get used to the new normal of less comp. FC upgrades

THIS!

beachsideflier Apr 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Frogbone (Post 30990340)
Quite the opposite here for 2019 :
75 % upgraded to F
13 % upgraded to C+
10 % CRJ 200
(numbers rounded down)
Pretty good mix of gate upgrades and upgrades at booking.
No complaints here.

I see you are a DM million miler, I am not. Does MM status get you a slot higher on the list then a non MM DM? Maybe that would explain why I'm not scoring as many FC upgrades as in the past.

Mr. Tickets Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm

agreed, they are in the business of making money and I don't begrudge that fact. I guess I started to feel like the FC upgrades were a reward for my loyalty and increased customer satisfaction of getting the upgrade and not just complimentary. Now that my flying experience has changed somewhat my satisfaction and feeling of loyalty has taken a turn for the worse. Probably Delta assumes I'll get used to the new normal of less comp. FC upgrades or do you think they simply put less value in a loyal DM then in the past?

Okay, I'll bite. What would make you happy? They don't sell FCseats, even though someone else wants to pay? What would make you think that you would
have more priority than another Diamond. If FC isn't much more, why not pay for it (unless you are buying super low fares, in which case, maybe Delta doesn't even care
if you are happy). I think loyalty is worth more than an upgrade. It gets you improved support service, higher boarding priority, GUC's and RUC's, free baggage, free award redeposits,
and the list goes on and on. I travel frequently in a market where most of the year, upgrades are out of the question. In fact, it is difficult to even buy first class. I figure it is what it is, someone
is willing to pay a lot more than I am and they get what they want.

davetravels Apr 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by beachsideflier (Post 30990384)
I see you are a DM million miler, I am not. Does MM status get you a slot higher on the list then a non MM DM? Maybe that would explain why I'm not scoring as many FC upgrades as in the past.

Nope!

All it gets'ya is a little red luggage tag, and an occasional nod over the PA system on the plane or as you scan your boarding pass at the gate.