Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skipping first leg - Delta / Air France - repercussions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping first leg - Delta / Air France - repercussions?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by film_girl
Depending on your status, the Medallion line may be willing to move your first flight to a later time — or potentially let you book the new one way SFO-LAX and link those. I’ve had them do that (I wasn’t paying with points, which could have been a factor in my favor) successfully when an anticipated weather event (that DL hadn’t acknowledged — they did 24 hours later but I wanted to get ahead of the crowds) forced a change of plans. Originally, American Express Travel (who I booked with) told me would be a $5k change (it was a J ticket to Australia and was not operated by DL but VA but was marketed by DL) in order to move my SEA to LAX flight up.

This was for work so I would have done it if forced, but that felt ridiculously out of bounds so I ended up just conferencing in the Medallion line and they were able to make the change for ~$300 or so (they re-classed my domestic ticket but kept the rest of the itinerary the same). YMMV of course, but this is one of those instances I’ve found that status certainly helps.
I think Delta is quite good about making changes when there are potential weather issues, regardless of status and whether they have yet issued an advisory. Friends of mine were scheduled to fly SAV-ATL-MSP tomorrow (Sunday). On Thursday they became concerned about the impending midwest snow and called before the weather advisory (which came later in the day). They were able to change to a Friday flight, with change fees waived. They have no status.

But the OP is not trying to change his flight because of weather issues.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
Originally Posted by CarmenOM

I think Delta is quite good about making changes when there are potential weather issues, regardless of status and whether they have yet issued an advisory. Friends of mine were scheduled to fly SAV-ATL-MSP tomorrow (Sunday). On Thursday they became concerned about the impending midwest snow and called before the weather advisory (which came later in the day). They were able to change to a Friday flight, with change fees waived. They have no status.

But the OP is not trying to change his flight because of weather issues.
Understood, but for clarification — at the time I called in this instance, Delta didn’t seem to have any knowledge of the impending weather incident (and I didn’t even get into weather as my reason when I patched in the Medallion line). I actually ended up getting the amount I was charged to change the flight reversed when the weather advisory went out a day or two later. I was worried about missing my flight to SYD and specifically picked a flight leaving for LAX 36 hours earlier, but I didn’t even have to get into the “why” with Delta.

In fainess, there were a lot of differences between my flight and OP. I was in a J seat and there was an availability issue that originally confounded Amex (the reason they couldn’t just cancel and rebook), it was a corporate booking on a refundable ticket (albeit with a discount DL gives my company), etc. Regardless, I’m confident my status is what got the situation resolved as fast as it was b/c initially the agent seemed to reaffirm what Amex was saying until I pointed out that there had to be a way to resolve the change for less than $4500 and she noted the amount of money and miles I'd already spent/booked six weeks into the year (I didn’t even mention it, she did). If the agent had held firm, I would have gone on a “the weather is going to be crazy and I can’t miss my flight” spiel, but I didn’t even have to go there.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
Nope. Your LAX-PPT flight will be cancelled the moment you no show for your SFO-LAX flight.
The AF flight would definitely not be cancelled "the moment" the DL SFO-LAX flight closes without you onboard.
A batch process runs to cancel out remaining segments on an itinerary after a no-show. It is not immediate.

You can see this for yourself by buying a dummy refundable/flexible ticket, OLCI, no-showing for segment1, and seeing how long it takes until the remaining segment2 is deleted & thus not visible at DL.com.

I'm not saying he'd make the flight in this all-day scenario, but I have made it onboard a LAX-HNL flight on a SAN-LAX-HNL ticket where I no-showed on SAN-LAX.

Assuming this is an AF-issued e-ticket and LAX-PPT boarding passes has been issued, it is not a trivial IT matter for DL systems to cancel onward segments on AF.
It will eventually sync, but this takes hours, not minutes.

Last edited by Colin; Mar 9, 2019 at 9:53 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by josephstern
Well, yeah, but it's pretty bad. Frankly, the terminal itself is nicer, at least in most parts.

You can also do PF Changs for some greasy Chinese food. But there's also much better food nearby.

Ya - the Korean lounge is pretty bad, and has continued to deteriorate over the years. Unless you need a shower (sounds like you dont), I'd stay away.

It's basically microwaveable cups of soup like college kids would eat, a spread of celery and carrots (that dont look fresh), some miniature sandwich triangles that look gross, and some overly salty tortilla chips + chunky flavorless salsa.

There is self-serve alcohol, which is nice (assuming its replenished promptly).

While i dont think this affects you, the PP hours have also been cut. They used to allow visits until 8pm, now its like 6pm. Crowding isn;t really a problem since its so large.

TL;DR:
  • Do NOT go to the KAL lounge for food.
  • The self-serve alcohol is acceptable.
  • If you need a shower, then its the place for you.

Otherwise, I'd go to PF Changs, use your PP allotment, then get something else somewhere.
(Idk if it's just me, but i think the prices at LAX PFC's have increased since they started letting PP holders in - basically to box them in to only ordering one entree).
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pfreet
Great excuse to spend the day in Los Angeles! If it were me, I'd get a Lyft to Santa Monica, rent a bike for a few hours, walk the pier, visit a quirky coffee shop, stroll the shops, long lunch, you get the idea.
Also, if you want a great daytime view of the City and beach, go to Hotel Erwin in Venice and ask to go to the roof. Great cocktails, great foot, and amazing views! It's fantastic during the day.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
You're not confined with Priority Pass to just use the KL lounge . Your boarding pass will let you enter any terminal at LAX and there are many priority pass opportunities to enjoy. You could have a lounge/eating tour of LAX..drinking too .. most concourses are reachable in the sterile area so no need to re-clear TSA each time. Just a thought
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the AS lounge at LAX (T6) currently let PP people enter? It was nice back when DL used T5 and T6.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
...........Assuming this is an AF-issued e-ticket and LAX-PPT boarding passes has been issued, it is not a trivial IT matter for DL systems to cancel onward segments on AF.
It will eventually sync, but this takes hours, not minutes.
Great analysis.^ Nevertheless, it doesn't help OP. OP maybe able to fly LAX-PPT yet PPT-LAX-SFO will mostly likely be cancelled. It is worse to be stranded at PPT.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the AS lounge at LAX (T6) currently let PP people enter? It was nice back when DL used T5 and T6.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.