Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skipping first leg - Delta / Air France - repercussions?

Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Have an itinerary on Delta and Air France booked from SFO-LAX-PPT - was a dirt cheap flight using UR - 18k for the flight. The LAX-PPT portion on AF leaves at midnight from LAX, but the SFO-LAX leg leaves SFO at 7am - requiring me to sit all day at LAX - I normally wouldn't mind but I have commitments that day.

Wondering if I can skip the SFO-LAX leg and show up to LAX in the evening from a WN flight and just board the LAX-PPT leg. Can I do this or I'll be denied boarding LAX-PPT for skipping the first leg?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Have an itinerary on Delta and Air France booked from SFO-LAX-PPT - was a dirt cheap flight using UR - 18k for the flight. The LAX-PPT portion on AF leaves at midnight from LAX, but the SFO-LAX leg leaves SFO at 7am - requiring me to sit all day at LAX - I normally wouldn't mind but I have commitments that day.

Wondering if I can skip the SFO-LAX leg and show up to LAX in the evening from a WN flight and just board the LAX-PPT leg. Can I do this or I'll be denied boarding LAX-PPT for skipping the first leg?
If you're a no-show for the first leg, the rest of your itinerary will be automatically canceled.
Duke787 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Have an itinerary on Delta and Air France booked from SFO-LAX-PPT - was a dirt cheap flight using UR - 18k for the flight. The LAX-PPT portion on AF leaves at midnight from LAX, but the SFO-LAX leg leaves SFO at 7am - requiring me to sit all day at LAX - I normally wouldn't mind but I have commitments that day. Wondering if I can skip the SFO-LAX leg and show up to LAX in the evening from a WN flight and just board the LAX-PPT leg. Can I do this or I'll be denied boarding LAX-PPT for skipping the first leg?
Nope. Your LAX-PPT flight will be cancelled the moment you no show for your SFO-LAX flight.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:10 pm

Call them and ask them to remove the first leg. Otherwise a no-show will result in cancellation of the rest of the flights.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies - looks like I get to plane spot all day.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You can try a same day change to a later flight possibly for a nominal fee. Not sure what the DL rules are but others here can probably provide some insight.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
You can try a same day change to a later flight possibly for a nominal fee. Not sure what the DL rules are but others here can probably provide some insight.
DL does not allow same day changes on itineraries that include an international flight except after all the international segments have been flown.
MSPeconomist and Widgets like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can always take the first flight and then fly right back to SFO. Spend the day up north and take something around 9 PM back down.

You just probably shouldn’t do these other flights on Delta.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, Marriott Gold

I have a similar situation on my SFO-LAX-PPT flight in July. I paid with $ at a great fare, but I have a seven hour connection at LAX. I called Delta and was told that changing to a later first flight would add about $700 to the price, despite the fact that I could buy a one-way SFO-LAX on DL at the desired time for about $130. It's really hard to find the logic in this stuff, but I'm sure someone in Delta Revenue Management has a spreadsheet which says this makes sense.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by josephstern
You can always take the first flight and then fly right back to SFO. Spend the day up north and take something around 9 PM back down.
You just probably shouldn’t do these other flights on Delta.

The point being (for the cautious) that Delta's computers might get confused and cancel the leg to PPT. Regardless, I would not attempt to fly anywhere else, and instead leave LAX by transit for the day. Options:

1. LAX Airporter bus to Union Station. Walk to Olvera Street or anywhere else of interest downtown.
2. Santa Monica transit bus to Westwood. Pick up at the bus turnaround in front of long term parking Lot C.
3. From Westwood Blvd, transfer to LA bus that stops at the Getty Museum. Great museum, but a pain by bus. I've done it, so it is possible.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
One time I missed my first leg of SAN-LAX-PVG, and the phone agent managed to drop the first leg and change my ticket to LAX-PVG without additional fees, I made it later by Lyfting from SAN to LAX. Maybe give that a try and call Delta.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hjz131
One time I missed my first leg of SAN-LAX-PVG, and the phone agent managed to drop the first leg and change my ticket to LAX-PVG without additional fees, I made it later by Lyfting from SAN to LAX. Maybe give that a try and call Delta.
It would be too late, if that doesn't work.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:03 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by hjz131
Very bad advice, gambling on a successful outcome of that strategy once the original flight has already left
Often1 and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:33 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Have an itinerary on Delta and Air France booked from SFO-LAX-PPT - was a dirt cheap flight using UR - 18k for the flight.
What’s “UR”?

If that’s some form miles ticket, that’s impressively low for a flight to French Polynesia.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by TheHorta

What’s “UR”?

If that’s some form miles ticket, that’s impressively low for a flight to French Polynesia.
Chase Ultimate Rewards. He likely has Chase Sapphire Reserve, so booked a $270 cash ticket using points.
jinglish and TheHorta like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.