Linking PNRs with separate departure?

Old Mar 9, 19, 6:35 am
Original Poster

Linking PNRs with separate departure?

Currently planning a trip for GF and I in August. She will be leaving from PVG, and I will be leaving from CAK, we'll meet up in LAX and then continue the rest of our journeys there. It's quite a complex itinerary with several flights (PVG-LAX; BZN-SLC-ATL-CAK; CAK-PVG). I'm an FO and she has no status (no miles even, but would sign her up).

I was looking into complimentary upgrades with companions, and it had a note about linking the two itineraries. I'm not familiar with this process, but through some searching I understand that it's just notes in one PNR that "links" it to another. Would this be possible if the two PNRs had separate departing airports? What if my tickets were on two separate PNRs (one domestic and one international)?

Last edited by navarre007; Mar 9, 19 at 6:36 am Reason: wording
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:54 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Upgrades as a FO are rare to start with. And getting one with a non status companion is more rare.

And on an international flights are very very rare at any level.
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
Upgrades as a FO are rare to start with. And getting one with a non status companion is more rare.

To add a little more color here:
  • There are no complimentary upgrades to Delta One or Premium Select on long-haul international routes; you could get upgraded if coach is oversold – this is referred to as an OpUp or operations upgrade – but this is unlikely, especially when traveling with a companion.
  • You must be on the same reservation (PNR) as your companion for them to share your higher upgrade priority. A companion traveling on a separate PNR that has been linked to your PNR gets the upgrade priority associated with their status, not yours.
  • As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to have multiple different itineraries on a single PNR.
Old Mar 9, 19, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

I understand they're rare for FOs, but they do happen. So far I've been upgraded on 2/3 of my eligible flights in 2019.

One of my upgrades was on an international flight (PVG-ATL, still uses 777).
Old Mar 9, 19, 7:17 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by navarre007 View Post
I understand they're rare for FOs, but they do happen. So far I've been upgraded on 2/3 of my eligible flights in 2019.

One of my upgrades was on an international flight (PVG-ATL, still uses 777).
Are you talking about Comfort+, or Delta One? Comfort+ is still complementary on international, but Delta One is not. There are rare op-up's at times due to coach being oversold, but other than that they don't upgrade Medallions to D1 simply because there are open seats.

"Complimentary Upgrades are not permitted to Delta Premium Select or Delta One® flights outside of the U.S. 50."
Old Mar 10, 19, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Are you talking about Comfort+, or Delta One? Comfort+ is still complementary on international, but Delta One is not. There are rare op-up's at times due to coach being oversold, but other than that they don't upgrade Medallions to D1 simply because there are open seats.

"Complimentary Upgrades are not permitted to Delta Premium Select or Delta One® flights outside of the U.S. 50."
D1 on international long haul routes was never a free elite upgrade, although DL tends to prioritize OPUPs by status as an unpublished benefit. [I'm not counting the phantom upgrades to WBC during the last days of PMNW, RIP.]
Old Mar 10, 19, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Linking PNR's on DL simply means that DL enters remarks in the remarks section of both PNR's. It is of zero value other than potentially in IRROPS rebooking (to keep you together). But, even then, it will only be seen if an agent actually looks for it. Quite unlikely.

Linking will not affect upgrades, seating, or anything else associated with your status.

To be clear, DL does not offer free UG's to D1 or its PE product on international routes such as you are traveling. If you were upgraded, it was as a matter of operational necessity for DL, e.g., the Y cabin was overbooked and at risk of oversale.

On a domestic flight, if there were F seats left after all upgrades have cleared, it is possible that a GA might upgrade your GF as a courtesy to you. But, do not count on it happening as it is not supposed to.
Widgets likes this.
Old Mar 10, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Linking PNR's on DL simply means that DL enters remarks in the remarks section of both PNR's. It is of zero value other than potentially in IRROPS rebooking (to keep you together). But, even then, it will only be seen if an agent actually looks for it. Quite unlikely.

Linking will not affect upgrades, seating, or anything else associated with your status.

To be clear, DL does not offer free UG's to D1 or its PE product on international routes such as you are traveling. If you were upgraded, it was as a matter of operational necessity for DL, e.g., the Y cabin was overbooked and at risk of oversale.

On a domestic flight, if there were F seats left after all upgrades have cleared, it is possible that a GA might upgrade your GF as a courtesy to you. But, do not count on it happening as it is not supposed to.
It is possible to request UGs for companions on separate PNRs by calling DL. To do this the agents will “link the reservations” to allow the UG request to go through. These UGs will clear behind all other medallions so while it’s unlikely for an UG to happen, it is still possible and can happen. Note that like GUCs/RUCs, IME the agents often don’t request it properly so you may want to call back again to another agent to make sure the request went through properly.