Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dal3834 diverted from LGA to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

I never stated that choosing JFK over LGA was a bad decision. Please find that quote. All I said was that LGA was quite capable of handling an emergency landing. A rejected takeoff at v1 is one of the most demanding things you can ask of an aircraft. I used the 764 as an illustration to show that LGA isn't some inept airfield that some seem to think it is.
Sorry but I think you're missing the boat, again.
It's not "quite capable of handling", but rather, this is a much better option with much more buffer. Your example of a completely different - albeit much larger - plane rejecting takeoff instead of what actually happened in this scenario, a landing given potential equipment failure, might be factual but has not much to do with this.

I'm wondering if your style of discussion might be better received on a.net? Just a thought..
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by davedeboston

It's not "quite capable of handling", but rather, this is a much better option with much more buffer. Your example of a completely different - albeit much larger - plane rejecting takeoff instead of what actually happened in this scenario, a landing given potential equipment failure, might be factual but has not much to do with this.

I'm wondering if your style of discussion might be better received on a.net? Just a thought..
Don't feed the troll. They are handpicking data points to support their argument - everyone on FT and a.net (I read and participate in both) should and would reject this nonsense.

All varients [sic] of the 767 have operated from LGA for decades.
When was the last time a 767 was regularly scheduled at LGA, even on a one-off flight?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by davedeboston
He's not, he's just executing the next part of his playbook, which involves walking things back, moving the goalposts, and reframing things to narrow the focus, until his statements can be said to be technically true in a way that is devoid of the original context.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
... When was the last time a 767 was regularly scheduled at LGA, even on a one-off flight?
I’ll start the bidding with June 1999 ... departedflights.com pages show Delta 763s arriving from Cincinnati and Ft Lauderdale, both departing to Atlanta
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
A little birdie told me that 3834 diverted partly due to a mechanical and partly due to airport conditions/weather being an issue DUE TO the mechanical (hence why other flights landed with no issue). The mechanic issue made it so that it was unsafe to land in LGA given the airport's current condition, therefore they diverted to JFK.

Could've easily been a brake issue, hydraulics, flaps, thrust reversers, etc.

It's humorous how people assume the airline is out to get you. I assure you, it's no fun for the crew (nor is it cheap) to divert a flight and cancel the following leg. All to what, stick it to the customer?
I don't assume that screwing the passengers was.the intent. Aside from your birdie information it seems most likely to me that they wanted the ship at JFK for some reason, and rather than ferry it over, they decided to land it there with a load of non-connecting passengers.

I reviewed the flight path (no abnormalities-- they weren't circling or anything), and as much atc recordings as I could find (approach and tower comms seemed pretty normal).

So maybe the was an issue, but it seems at least as likely to me that this was operationally efficient for them. In any case, shouldn't they compensate passengers for the inconvenience?

After all, without status we'd have to pay a boatload to change terminals.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by stevekstevek

I don't assume that screwing the passengers was.the intent. Aside from your birdie information it seems most likely to me that they wanted the ship at JFK for some reason, and rather than ferry it over, they decided to land it there with a load of non-connecting passengers.

I reviewed the flight path (no abnormalities-- they weren't circling or anything), and as much atc recordings as I could find (approach and tower comms seemed pretty normal).

So maybe the was an issue, but it seems at least as likely to me that this was operationally efficient for them. In any case, shouldn't they compensate passengers for the inconvenience?

It's possible they simply made a calculated decision, but even if it did turn out favorably for them from an operational standpoint I don't think we can necessarily conclude that's the only reason they did it.

As to your second point, do we know that they didn't? I've lost track of whether anyone on this thread was actually on the flight. I would imagine claims for ground transportation costs etc. would be reimbursed but it would be interesting to hear from actual pax.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
A little birdie told me that 3834 diverted partly due to a mechanical and partly due to airport conditions/weather being an issue DUE TO the mechanical (hence why other flights landed with no issue). The mechanic issue made it so that it was unsafe to land in LGA given the airport's current condition, therefore they diverted to JFK.

Could've easily been a brake issue, hydraulics, flaps, thrust reversers, etc.

It's humorous how people assume the airline is out to get you. I assure you, it's no fun for the crew (nor is it cheap) to divert a flight and cancel the following leg. All to what, stick it to the customer?
Originally Posted by Zorak
It's possible they simply made a calculated decision, but even if it did turn out favorably for them from an operational standpoint I don't think we can necessarily conclude that's the only reason they did it.

As to your second point, do we know that they didn't? I've lost track of whether anyone on this thread was actually on the flight. I would imagine claims for ground transportation costs etc. would be reimbursed but it would be interesting to hear from actual pax.
A family member of mine was on the flight. Another family member was waiting for her at LGA. They only announced on the plane that they were going to JFK because there were no gates available at LGA.

They offered no compensation. My family member took a car at her own expense (to her final destination since this was simpler than coordinating a new meeting location driving across Queens etc).

As I've been replying tonight, I contacted Delta a second time and they finally offered a reasonable (generous) compensation. But that still took a lot of work. If I didn't do that, and I expect many didn't, I'd have paid for ground transportation out of pocket.

I'm still curious about what happened.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

A family member of mine was on the flight. Another family member was waiting for her at LGA. They only announced on the plane that they were going to JFK because there were no gates available at LGA.

They offered no compensation. My family member took a car at her own expense (to her final destination since this was simpler than coordinating a new meeting location driving across Queens etc).

As I've been replying tonight, I contacted Delta a second time and they finally offered a reasonable (generous) compensation. But that still took a lot of work. If I didn't do that, and I expect many didn't, I'd have paid for ground transportation out of pocket.

For future reference, Delta has processes in place for offering ground transportation between the two NYC airports free of charge when transferring on an international ticket... so asking point blank for a taxi voucher at the airport would likely have been successful, since they routinely offer them even in non-IROPS scenarios. See Rule 5 of the International Contract of Carriage: https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...riage-igr/#iat
davetravels likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:49 am

I never stated that choosing JFK over LGA was a bad decision. Please find that quote. All I said was that LGA was quite capable of handling an emergency landing. A rejected takeoff at v1 is one of the most demanding things you can ask of an aircraft. I used the 764 as an illustration to show that LGA isn't some inept airfield that some seem to think it is.
and here comes the goal post moves. So to flip that back on you, "please find that quote"

You are comparing apples to a 1944 Ford and getting upset that people are calling you out on it. Your 764 example has nothing to do with anything posted in this thread. Just because an airport can handle X doesn't mean it is the brightest idea to do A at that airport, much less do Z at that airport. An A320 can land on the Hudson without either engine working but I'm guessing you wont find many people at Delta who think all 320 ops in NYC should start using the Hudson as the main runway.

Originally Posted by jrl767
I’ll start the bidding with June 1999 ... departedflights.com pages show Delta 763s arriving from Cincinnati and Ft Lauderdale, both departing to Atlanta
Its going to be much later than that.

Google turned up a 300ER and a 300 both in 2012. I'm sure there have been others after that.

A LGA-JFK flight was scheduled on the night the flight happened. It looks like the airplane would have gotten to LGA after midnight. That flight canceled and the airplane did an empty ferry the next day at 1300 to LGA.

My guess is LGA was short of space due to the late hour of the night and/or the airplane had a mechanical issue that they thought was a quick fix that turned out to need more time. Its pretty normal for an issue to come up and maintenance give a ready time in the air, then once the airplane hits the ground the ready times gets pushed back. As advanced as airplanes have become, trouble shooting isn't perfect. Sometimes maintenance control thinks the issue will only take a few minutes to fix and once the mechanic gets into it the minutes turn to hours and can turn to days.

either way, it looks like the airplane did JFK-LGA-GRR the next day. That should hopefully put the idea that Delta just sent the plane to JFK for operational needs to bed.
sky303 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by 13thandseven
When was the last time a 767 was regularly scheduled at LGA, even on a one-off flight?
I flew on a 767 from LGA to CVG about 15 years ago. That was fun!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...htId=988080065

Flightstats has the decision to divert to JFK taking place well into the IAH-JFK flight, more than two hours after departure.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold

Firstly, not every maintenance problem is going to present itself over ATC nor is you not finding anything on the ATC recordings relevant in the first place.
Considering the plane sat around JFK overnight then flew to LGA the next day should put the nail in your 'operational efficiency' coffin.
The lack of compensation, whether that was anecdotally just you or the entire plane, is indeed wrong and should be rectified. I've been in a similar situation flying TPA-LGA with a diversion to JFK for a maintenance issue. We were all offered transportation to LGA, a reroute if connecting or a cab voucher due to the diversion (or offered to wait for the ferry to LGA that never left as the plane sat in JFK for 2 days).
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
either way, it looks like the airplane did JFK-LGA-GRR the next day. That should hopefully put the idea that Delta just sent the plane to JFK for operational needs to bed.
Moreover, it ferried back to LGA at 1pm the next day, missing its scheduled LGA departure that morning. So the chances that this was purely operational makes even less sense once you see what happened to that aircraft.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:35 am

A Rejected takeoff at V1 is a demanding maneuver. It’s also carefully calculated and the 767-400 is severely weight restricted out of LGA. Aircraft size does not directly correlate with runway requirements. As a example one of the best short field aircraft flying is the 757-200. It outperforms almost every smaller aircraft currently operated.
When you have a mechanical issue you have reference material for most of the various possible issues. You recalculate expected landing distance with the problem or problems and make a decision on where you are going to land. If you have a sufficient margin to land with the problem at lga given current runway conditions and braking action you normally would land there. If not you go somewhere else.
Keep in mind that many problems can be compounded. A Delta 767 once landed at Madrid with Flaps in the 5 degree position, accumulator braking only, no NWS, overweight, limited ground spoilers and only one engine reverser. Their landing distance was very long!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.