Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dal3834 diverted from LGA to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM
This just makes me think about hardstands to use in a pinch?
I can't remember the last time I've had one at JFK and don't fly much out of LGA, but the idea that it would be so hard to get pax off an aircraft that they'd divert to another airport seems pretty hard to believe to me.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
If there's any question about the stopping ability of the aircraft, it's always the captain's prerogative to find the longest runway available within reasonable proximity. When there's an aircraft mechanical issue that may affect safety, passenger connections become an afterthought. Why would a pilot decide to continue to LGA if JFK is a viable option, DL has a MX base there, and they have a runway over 14,000'?

Edit: Saying LGA "can handle a 767-400" isn't telling the whole story. Sure, a lightly loaded 764 could get in an out of LGA with no mechanical issues. However, a 767-400, at MTOW on a warm day, needs 11,000' for a balanced field takeoff. And you bet if that 767 took off, had a mechanical issue and had to return for an overweight landing, it wasn't going to come back to LGA.
How long have you been around? You speak as if 767 operations at LGA are just a theory. All varients of the 767 have operated from LGA for decades. Of course they are not at MTOW since LGA has a perimeter rule where nothing further west than DEN is allowed. And you might burst the tires and need the engines inspected afterwards but there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't get the 767 stopped on the runway at LGA. It isn't going to be anywhere near its max weights on a flight to ATL or CVG which is where Delta most commonly routed them. Like I said, that 767 has to be capable of stopping after a rejected takeoff at just under v1. The dispatchers at Delta would not take any gambles on safety.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

How long have you been around? You speak as if 767 operations at LGA are just a theory. All varients of the 767 have operated from LGA for decades. Of course they are not at MTOW since LGA has a perimeter rule where nothing further west than DEN is allowed. And you might burst the tires and need the engines inspected afterwards but there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't get the 767 stopped on the runway at LGA. It isn't going to be anywhere near its max weights on a flight to ATL or CVG which is where Delta most commonly routed them. Like I said, that 767 has to be capable of stopping after a rejected takeoff at just under v1. The dispatchers at Delta would not take any gambles on safety.
I'm well aware of 767-400 operations at LGA. You made a blanket statement that LGA can handle a 767-400. I'm qualifying that statement by saying "yes, but only under certain conditions".

LGA could handle an 747-8i under certain conditions too, as long as it doesn't use the taxiways or gates, etc. My point is that just because an airport has received a certain aircraft in the past, doesn't mean it's the best diversion airport in emergency conditions.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by stevekstevek

I don't buy it. It's an e175, flying from Houston. Not a heavy pax load. LGA isn't that short for a regional to land (need a lot less to land than takeoff). Sounds like they were congested at LGA, and it was easier to dump their pax at JFK.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n277sy

The aircraft did not hop on over to LGA once space opened up so it could be ready for its next day operation.
So, yes mechanical for any one of the reasons mentioned here makes a lot of sense.

Glad everyone arrived safely.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Delta on Twitter: Hi Steve, I am showing that DL 3834 landed in JFK due to a mechanical issue that needed to be addressed. As LGA no longer had gate space, the continuation from JFK to LGA was canceled.

Me: What kind of mechanical issue would cause them to have to land at an airport 10 miles from the destination?

Delta: Regretfully, I do not have the specifics.

The mechanical issue may not have been with your aircraft, but with one at the scheduled gate, meaning that aircraft would be there a long time and there were no other gates available.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
A little birdie told me that 3834 diverted partly due to a mechanical and partly due to airport conditions/weather being an issue DUE TO the mechanical (hence why other flights landed with no issue). The mechanic issue made it so that it was unsafe to land in LGA given the airport's current condition, therefore they diverted to JFK.

Could've easily been a brake issue, hydraulics, flaps, thrust reversers, etc.

It's humorous how people assume the airline is out to get you. I assure you, it's no fun for the crew (nor is it cheap) to divert a flight and cancel the following leg. All to what, stick it to the customer?
HDQDD, wrp96, Often1 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n277sy

The aircraft did not hop on over to LGA once space opened up so it could be ready for its next day operation.
So, yes mechanical for any one of the reasons mentioned here makes a lot of sense.

Glad everyone arrived safely.
Dang, could have earned an extra 10 MQM's on that flight.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, reformed UA 1K
The 764 was literally designed to be able to fly into LGA

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2001-05...uardia-Airport
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
A little birdie told me that 3834 diverted partly due to a mechanical and partly due to airport conditions/weather being an issue DUE TO the mechanical (hence why other flights landed with no issue). The mechanic issue made it so that it was unsafe to land in LGA given the airport's current condition, therefore they diverted to JFK.

It's humorous how people assume the airline is out to get you. I assure you, it's no fun for the crew (nor is it cheap) to divert a flight and cancel the following leg. All to what, stick it to the customer?
The notion that some front line agent working the Twitter account would have knowledge of or access to knowledge of and could then provide that in a meaningful manner is ludicrous.

This whole thread is yet another product of growing social media need to sensationalize the unsensational.

How about, "thanks to DL for getting me onto the ground safely."
wrp96 and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Dang, could have earned an extra 10 MQM's on that flight.
10? I think you mean 500!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adstockton
The 764 was literally designed to be able to fly into LGA

https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2001-05...uardia-Airport
^ Yes, it was an L-1011 replacement and Delta insisted that it be capable of operating at LGA. It isn't a roll of the dice to operate it there like some people here are suggesting.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I will cop to being an ignorant layperson as to the merits of the discussion, but as a meta thing, "perfectly capable of handling" and "under the circumstances we prefer to have more buffer" seem like two different sets of considerations to me so I can understand how there could be a case for landing at JFK.

We also all know who would be practically soiling themselves with glee in the rush to second guess DL and the pilots if they had decided to land with known issues at LGA and had an overrun etc.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
I can remember AA flying DC-10s at LGA. On top of normal weigh-n-balance planning, we had to watch the weight "footprint" and keep the weight more rearwards ... keep the weight on the mains where it was distributed across more wheels, keeping the 2 wheeled nose gear lighter than normal. The problem wasn't with landing, it was the taxiways. A special condition required to operate a specific aircraft at a specific airport.

Other aircraft types no doubt have some conditions to be met to be able to operate at LGA.
The fact that 767-400s, meeting whatever their conditions are, can (and indeed do) operate at LGA has absolutely zero relevance on whether or not a given E-175 can land there. If the E-175 has developed a mechanical issue that violates one of its "LGA conditions", then the plane is diverting, plain and simple. I'm not sure why we brought the 767-400 into the discussion.

Other points to ponder....
  • Just because the "big" plane can do it doesn't mean that all smaller planes can do it too. Big plane also has bigger engines (more power), longer wing span, etc to compensate. A better comparison would be the power-to-weight ratio. I believe the 757 is still the winner here.
  • LGA's 7000ft runways, while not the longest in the world, are not exactly the shortest either. What LGA does lack is over-run area. Going beyond the end of the runway and the short over-run has more serious implications here than at most airports.
  • Crosswinds ?? The E-175 is a great airplane, but I've heard one of its shortcomings is in handling crosswind landings. I didn't take the time to study LGA's runway heading vs JFK's vs reported winds, but winter winds play havoc on airlines ops in more ways than one.
wrp96 and MikeNYC1 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
Is it possible that the mechanical issue had to do with the airport rather than the plane? For example, a jet bridge was broken at LGA which would have stranded DL 3834 without another available gate to dock at? I imagine that there are certain times at LGA where there are no spare gates available at all.
possible but unlikely they would divert for this. Worst case they would hand stand park and deplane using steps and bus to the terminal.
An issue like this will 99.9% always be either runway contamination/performance issues or a MX issue and the pilot/company/ATC/MTC want the safety of the (much) longer runways at JFK/EWR.

On top of this, Delta has better MX options at JFK, namely free hangar space. LGA hangar space lives and dies on American having an open bay. While Delta technically doesn't have a hangar at JFK, JFK has plenty of empty hangars Delta can get ahold of as needed. (of course none of this has to do with the aircraft in question because it was DCI)

I don't buy it. It's an e175, flying from Houston. Not a heavy pax load. LGA isn't that short for a regional to land (need a lot less to land than takeoff). Sounds like they were congested at LGA, and it was easier to dump their pax at JFK.

this isn't really an opinion thing. People are telling you facts. Airplanes with things like brake, flaps, hydros, T/Rs, landing gear.....etc issues are going to divert to JFK(or EWR) for the longer runway(s). The same thing happens at airport like DCA(goes to BWI or IAD), SNA/BUR/LGB (goes to LAX, jetBlue made this famous), MDW (goes to ORD) etc. etc.
No rational person thinks they have a problem slowing down the airplane and says "eh, I'll take a 7,000 foot runway over a 14,000 foot runway because the plane should be able to handle it"

So you can buy it......or ignore facts. *shrug*

LGA can handle a 767-400. That 767-400 must be capable of safely rejecting a takeoff on the runway at LGA. I don't think there would have been any issue with an E175 running off the end of the runway...
wrong again.
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

You may think this, but you’d be wrong. Here are two examples of flights that diverted from LGA to JFK. When there are problems with, for example, flaps and the landing is going to be over speed, you go for an airport with longer runways.

Delta jet makes emergency landing at JFK airport

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pix11.c...ng-at-jfk/amp/

The reality is, when you think you’re going to have an issue slowing down, you look for the longest runway you can find.
exactly.
No human with a single functioning brain cell is going to land an airplane with braking issues on a runway that is 7,000ft long (and a city or water at the end) over one that is 12-14K long unless they absolutely have to. (ie, can't make it to JFK or EWR)

none of this has anything at all to do with the flight in question. Normal operations aren't the same as an aircraft with an issue.

As per normal, you are taking one small example and think the entire world of aviation revolves around that one little thing. A 767 taking off or preforming a RTO at LGA has literally nothing to do with a E75 coming in from Huston diverting to JFK. There are several factors that play into the captain making that decision and I can promise you, he certainly didn't think about what you are saying before making the call.
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA

exactly. Its typical for braking issues to divert to JFK or EWR over LGA, especially in the winter. No one wants to do it.

^ Yes, it was an L-1011 replacement and Delta insisted that it be capable of operating at LGA. It isn't a roll of the dice to operate it there like some people here are suggesting.
No one is suggesting this. As per normal, you posted something that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic and when corrected multiple times by people who actually know what they are talking about, you are just doubling down and seeing what you want to see.

Any pilot worth anything is always going to pick the longer runway with more space over a shorter runway on a congested airfield if they have any kind of issue with stopping. A 767-400ER being able to operate out of LGA has nothing to do with the flight in question.
Originally Posted by Zorak
I will cop to being an ignorant layperson as to the merits of the discussion, but as a meta thing, "perfectly capable of handling" and "under the circumstances we prefer to have more buffer" seem like two different sets of considerations to me so I can understand how there could be a case for landing at JFK.

We also all know who would be practically soiling themselves with glee in the rush to second guess DL and the pilots if they had decided to land with known issues at LGA and had an overrun etc.
and you would be correct.

If you are in a car that is showing signs of the brakes having issues do you want 3 feet to stop or 50 feet? im guessing most votes will be for 50.
wrp96 and MikeNYC1 like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
possible but unlikely they would divert for this. Worst case they would hand stand park and deplane using steps and bus to the terminal.
An issue like this will 99.9% always be either runway contamination/performance issues or a MX issue and the pilot/company/ATC/MTC want the safety of the (much) longer runways at JFK/EWR.

On top of this, Delta has better MX options at JFK, namely free hangar space. LGA hangar space lives and dies on American having an open bay. While Delta technically doesn't have a hangar at JFK, JFK has plenty of empty hangars Delta can get ahold of as needed. (of course none of this has to do with the aircraft in question because it was DCI)

this isn't really an opinion thing. People are telling you facts. Airplanes with things like brake, flaps, hydros, T/Rs, landing gear.....etc issues are going to divert to JFK(or EWR) for the longer runway(s). The same thing happens at airport like DCA(goes to BWI or IAD), SNA/BUR/LGB (goes to LAX, jetBlue made this famous), MDW (goes to ORD) etc. etc.
No rational person thinks they have a problem slowing down the airplane and says "eh, I'll take a 7,000 foot runway over a 14,000 foot runway because the plane should be able to handle it"

So you can buy it......or ignore facts. *shrug*

wrong again.

exactly.
No human with a single functioning brain cell is going to land an airplane with braking issues on a runway that is 7,000ft long (and a city or water at the end) over one that is 12-14K long unless they absolutely have to. (ie, can't make it to JFK or EWR)

none of this has anything at all to do with the flight in question. Normal operations aren't the same as an aircraft with an issue.

As per normal, you are taking one small example and think the entire world of aviation revolves around that one little thing. A 767 taking off or preforming a RTO at LGA has literally nothing to do with a E75 coming in from Huston diverting to JFK. There are several factors that play into the captain making that decision and I can promise you, he certainly didn't think about what you are saying before making the call.

exactly. Its typical for braking issues to divert to JFK or EWR over LGA, especially in the winter. No one wants to do it.

No one is suggesting this. As per normal, you posted something that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic and when corrected multiple times by people who actually know what they are talking about, you are just doubling down and seeing what you want to see.

Any pilot worth anything is always going to pick the longer runway with more space over a shorter runway on a congested airfield if they have any kind of issue with stopping. A 767-400ER being able to operate out of LGA has nothing to do with the flight in question.

and you would be correct.

If you are in a car that is showing signs of the brakes having issues do you want 3 feet to stop or 50 feet? im guessing most votes will be for 50.
I never stated that choosing JFK over LGA was a bad decision. Please find that quote. All I said was that LGA was quite capable of handling an emergency landing. A rejected takeoff at v1 is one of the most demanding things you can ask of an aircraft. I used the 764 as an illustration to show that LGA isn't some inept airfield that some seem to think it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.