Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Seat Change -- Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
@OP, if you post or PM me your flight number, date & Seat choices, I will set a seat alert for you and contact you if one opens up

you can send me as many seats as you want to be alerted for
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Happened to me too a little over a year ago - booked (and paid extra for) the pair of seats at the exit on an A321, got moved to the row behind it (window and middle) after checking in online the previous night. Got the usual “can’t move someone else” spiel (yet they had no problem doing it to me?). I overheard the guy in that seat bragging that he’s Platinum. The woman in the next seat appeared to not be traveling with him.

I get that seat assignments aren’t guaranteed (though it’s a bit fishy to still argue that when they’re charging extra for certain seats...), but I don’t get why only the Delta forum here seems to be flooded with these complaints. Why is this such an issue for them and no one else?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by DL-Don
There is really no difference between the A side and the D side other than the fact that the FAs usually take meal choices from the A/B folks and then the C/D folks. There is a difference in the odd seats and even seats. Even seats have more storage than odd seats.
my preference on both the 350 and 767 is for odd numbered rows A or D because the seat is not on the aisle, but everyone has his/her own preference.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
@OP, if you post or PM me your flight number, date & Seat choices, I will set a seat alert for you and contact you if one opens up

you can send me as many seats as you want to be alerted for
Just sent you a PM! Thank you so much for your generosity
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Hi All

I'm flying on the A350 (ATL-ICN) in D1 and I specifically reserved 5A several months ago based on various reports/reviews of the seats. I got an auto-generated email informing me that my seat has now been changed to 6D. When I called the DM desk, the agent said there was an equipment change from an A350 to an A350. I was like, "Uhh...I think DL only has one model of A350s?" She then said that there are 6 different D1 configurations and that the original configuration (when I booked the ticket) isn't available anymore--except that there's only one configuration for D1.

Here's where I could use some advice:

1) What the heck happened? According to the email from DL, this change was due to a "technical seat duplication." I thought it might be an FAM, but I thought new policies dictated that they have to fly in Y now?

2) What recourse do I have? (I wanted a side seat away from the aisle).

3) Is there really an equipment change? I really hope the A350 didn't get switched a tired 777. The whole point of choosing this flight was to try out the A350.

(I recognize these are first-world problems, so I just want to name that)
Unfortunately you are SOL. I have had this happen on a couple occasions on other airlines where there was a swap to a different aircraft, and then back to the original aircraft, and I was in a middle seat in J or a center aisle. Even with GS status, UA agents will not unseat anyone from their seat to put you into it. It is forbidden to do for this purpose, even given the circumstance. Other airlines follow the same approach. Best thing you can do is to check like a hawk to see if people move around. After all, there are some people who prefer not to be at the window, and they could move around opening up options.

Hope it works out for you in the end.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The SEAT ALERT thing works great.

We were flying in the nose of a DL747 from Korea to DTW. I had one of the nose seats and the other was taken. REALLY wanted my wife and I together. While sitting in Venice on our RTW trip, I got the alert. Logged in and grabbed the open seat.

BINGO!!!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It worked for me a couple weeks ago to get a D1 window suite TPAC rather than one of the ones in the center section, which were all that were available when I booked.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
I had this happen to me once last year on a flight from RDU-ATL with a paid F ticket. I checked the app and my seat had been changed from aisle to window (which I don't like unless it's a direct aisle access window seat) and my seat given to an upgrader. As I was in the SkyClub when this happened, I went to the desk and they called the gate to get the other person unassigned from my original seat and put me back in.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by danimuhl
I had this happen to me once last year on a flight from RDU-ATL with a paid F ticket. I checked the app and my seat had been changed from aisle to window (which I don't like unless it's a direct aisle access window seat) and my seat given to an upgrader. As I was in the SkyClub when this happened, I went to the desk and they called the gate to get the other person unassigned from my original seat and put me back in.
Was there ever an explanation why this was done? Did the upgrader just ask the GA for an aisle and the GA then decided to boot a DM with a paid FC ticket from a seat that had been selected previously? It's good that you caught this and were able to have the problem fixed, but it really shouldn't have happened at all.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by strickerj
I get that seat assignments aren’t guaranteed (though it’s a bit fishy to still argue that when they’re charging extra for certain seats...), but I don’t get why only the Delta forum here seems to be flooded with these complaints. Why is this such an issue for them and no one else?
Really?

There's a 600-post thread on this topic on the AA forum:
AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
And on UA:

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Really?

There's a 600-post thread on this topic on the AA forum:
AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)
Hmm, I guess I never realized this was so widespread. I’m not sure if that’s a relief or more disappointing.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was there ever an explanation why this was done? Did the upgrader just ask the GA for an aisle and the GA then decided to boot a DM with a paid FC ticket from a seat that had been selected previously? It's good that you caught this and were able to have the problem fixed, but it really shouldn't have happened at all.
There was no explanation provided, but I didn't push for one since the agent in the Club had been so helpful to get it fixed and offered me way more apologies than necessary.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:05 am

So this just happen to me on Sunday. My friend was moved from is aisle seat with me in the window on a 2-3-2 config to the middle seat and all seats were full for our flight to Rome. I called into the customer care (No status) and they let us move to a different flight that ended up working better for us anyways and was more expensive at time of booking Hence we opted for the 17 hour trip over the 13 hour trip. Worked out well in the end but the first rep I spoke with told me sorry nothing we can do your out of luck. Asked for a Supervisor who was willing to do almost anything to make me happy. Glad to see Delta treat even its not status members like this hence why I am moving all my trips over to them now and will have status here soon.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Here's the article that I was referencing: https://abcnews.go.com/US/exclusive-...ry?id=59974300 (I guess the program won't be implemented until later this year.)

While the cost of setting up a seat alert is $0.99, I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle at this point. For those who've flown on the A350 in D1, is the quality of side seats (A/D) really that different between even and odd rows? I mean, I have a long flight from ATL-ICN...

I asked the DM desk what happened, and I asked why the other person got the seat instead of me. She said that it's based on the time of seat request. I asked if status played any role in this, and she said no -- though I do wonder whether DL would boot a paying J pax to accommodate a 360 member.
That is certainly good news about the FAM change. They shouldn't be on the plane at all but at least they won't be freeloading in the best seats now.
ethernal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.