Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big change on Upgrade policy Ex-AMS ( maybe more EU)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Grouchy
As soon as you press 'check-in' for DL flights from AMS you will be forwarded to KLM and OLCI over there and as such no OLCI with DL & selective cash upgrades during OLCI.
At least this was happening for the last couple of years. Did it change somewhere in the last 10 days?
Really? I don't recall that, I just remember using my DL app. But I could be wrong!
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really? I don't recall that, I just remember using my DL app. But I could be wrong!
DL flights ex-AMS/CDG all redirect you to KLM/AF for checkin.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Hollandair
This way DL can optimalize both DM statisfaction and extra income or mileage burn.
Delta wants to protect the Delta one cabin. Giving those away for pennies on the dollar was ridiculous. Delta has been talking about changing this for a long time on the inside I'm shocked it took this long.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
In both 2016 and 2017, for travel KBP-AMS-SEA on Delta metal during the week between Xmas and New Years, I was able to get same-day upgrades to Business Class on the AMS-SEA leg for 25K SkyMiles and no co-pay . .. at the Transfer desk at AMS. It always seemed "too good to be true"; if you value a Skymile at 1 cent, that's an upgrade for a mere $250. And I wondered if Delta approved of this because I have never seen Delta offer analogous deals on flights originating in the U.S. Best I ever say originating in the U.S. from Delta on Delta metal was an offer at online check-in for an upgrade to C on a SEA-CDG flight for $699.

Here's the thing, though . . .I understand about "protecting the premium cabin", but I am unlikely to ever pay $ for a C ticket for personal travel. So it's not like this new "no upgrades" policy is going to be some catalyst for me to book in C. The attitude I'll take is "well, I guess that's not going to happen any more, so just take my seat in Y and deal with it, first world problems."
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andrewk829
In both 2016 and 2017, for travel KBP-AMS-SEA on Delta metal during the week between Xmas and New Years, I was able to get same-day upgrades to Business Class on the AMS-SEA leg for 25K SkyMiles and no co-pay . .. at the Transfer desk at AMS. It always seemed "too good to be true"; if you value a Skymile at 1 cent, that's an upgrade for a mere $250. And I wondered if Delta approved of this because I have never seen Delta offer analogous deals on flights originating in the U.S. Best I ever say originating in the U.S. from Delta on Delta metal was an offer at online check-in for an upgrade to C on a SEA-CDG flight for $699.

Here's the thing, though . . .I understand about "protecting the premium cabin", but I am unlikely to ever pay $ for a C ticket for personal travel. So it's not like this new "no upgrades" policy is going to be some catalyst for me to book in C. The attitude I'll take is "well, I guess that's not going to happen any more, so just take my seat in Y and deal with it, first world problems."
Unless you had a pricey YBM fare, there should have been a cash component in addition to the miles (as has been documented here many of times). Sounds like you were indeed quite lucky (or perhaps somehow got yourself rebooked into Y booking class). While there will people like you who just take their coach seat, there will be others who will buy up to a J fare or buy-up to a K+ coach fare and use miles to upgrade if those are now the only options. Your assumption that everyone will respond exactly like you is flawed.

Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by andrewk829

I think that's probably true for most travelers. I'm not sure how many flights a day DL has out of AMS, but I'll really roughly estimate around 20 (I really don't know though). If 1 pax buys a J ticket in advance who would not have otherwise on just 25% of those daily flights, at a (again, very rough estimate) average price of $4K, that's $7.3 million per year. Now, I have NO idea if the numbers I just threw out are good numbers, but just suggesting that even a small change in customer behavior can be meaningful.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by LBJ
Unless you had a pricey YBM fare, there should have been a cash component in addition to the miles (as has been documented here many of times). Sounds like you were indeed quite lucky (or perhaps somehow got yourself rebooked into Y booking class). While there will people like you who just take their coach seat, there will be others who will buy up to a J fare or buy-up to a K+ coach fare and use miles to upgrade if those are now the only options. Your assumption that everyone will respond exactly like you is flawed.

Over the years, depending on the year/agent, no cash component when:

You had a YBMS fare (sometimes a U or C+ 'W' also did work), remember there were different 'check' sheets in use by KLM agents

If Y was overbooked
If KL agents decided to do a "w're doing it our way here at AMS and Delta managment is ok with it"

iirc there are 21 daily flights from AMS, that's add up nicely over time
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Delta wants to protect the Delta one cabin. Giving those away for pennies on the dollar was ridiculous. Delta has been talking about changing this for a long time on the inside I'm shocked it took this long.
Pennies on the dollar is better than zero.

Until DL can sync their inventory with KL such that a seat sold on a DL flight within 30 hours of departure from AMS (when KLM takes over control) properly reflects on the KL side, they shouldn't be worried about this.

Sucks to be downgraded at the gate when KL gave away all the seats to NRSAs; that's all that's happening here, more free seats versus at least some cash or 25K+ miles.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If KLM continues to sell cheap upgrades at AMS on its own TATL flights but can no longer do so for flights operated by DL, this would be an incentive for some people to book themselves on the KLM flights. For some USA airports, there's a choice. For others, one can pick a different connecting airport. Finally, in some cases it could be worth doing an additional connection if the odds of a cheap upgrade are good enough.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I thought you can't waitlist out of AMS anyway regardless of metal... so the issue is that if you want to use a GUC, then it is basically first come first serve competition against anyone else who is trying to upgrade with miles etc.

Last edited by rylan; Jan 22, 2019 at 9:29 am
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:17 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If KLM continues to sell cheap upgrades at AMS on its own TATL flights but can no longer do so for flights operated by DL, this would be an incentive for some people to book themselves on the KLM flights. For some USA airports, there's a choice. For others, one can pick a different connecting airport. Finally, in some cases it could be worth doing an additional connection if the odds of a cheap upgrade are good enough.
Because of the JV though this doesn't really mean anything for Delta. They get the revenue regardless of what metal you book. If anything, this is probably good for the overall JV since it will (on the margin) result in a few more higher-bucket tickets being sold on KL metal when there might have been a lower bucket available on DL metal.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Originally Posted by LBJ
In the cases of my 2016 and 2017 holiday travel that got me upgrades to C for 25K SkyMiles and no copay on AMS-SEA, I can assure you they were not a Y, B, or M fare, and it was not some sort of rebooking into Y, or anything like that. In fact, I just checked, and my Dec 2017 experience was in T class. I cannot find the documentation of the Dec 2016 experience, but I can assure you it was one of the typical advance purchase leisure discount fares in a lower bucket.

By the way, I do not assume everybody will respond as I did. Some people are indeed willing to spend an extra $5-$7 or more per minute of in-flight time on C fares.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You would think Delta would prioritize cash/miles upgrades over GUC.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
As a DM, I hope not. It's hard enough to use GUCs as is.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Contrary to popular belief on FT, I do think that DL cares about retaining loyal customers, especially customers who spend enough to earn GUC's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.