Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Upgrade Success (Or Lack Thereof)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
FO
LGA - ORD today. I was #3 with 0 remaining on the list at boarding. 3 seats empty at T-10 minutes. Red coat comes on and finds all three of us to move up.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
Does having a paid comfort plus seat in W fare class increase my chances of an upgrade to first as a DM
?
Old May 2, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
5/2 SEA - ORD , Q fare #2 on waitlist: 3 F available at T-24, all disappeared around T-1. Nobody cleared.
5/5 ORD - SEA , X fare: Cleared T-120
Old May 2, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by pokerloser949
Does having a paid comfort plus seat in W fare class increase my chances of an upgrade to first as a DM
?
No, upgrade priority is based off the underlying economy fare.
Old May 2, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM 360, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bloc0102
No, upgrade priority is based off the underlying economy fare.
Not sure how to find that. It was a paid C+ ticket and only shows W class
Old May 2, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by pokerloser949
Not sure how to find that. It was a paid C+ ticket and only shows W class
I'm not sure if looking at the fare basis code would tell you, otherwise I think you can note the economy fare that is available at time of booking (doesn't help you after the fact...)
Old May 3, 2019, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
DM sitting at a success rate of 27% this year.

Actually worse than when I was a PM (I think I was in the 40s then)

To stay at DM and to save my sanity as long as its UNDER $100/flight hour I am self upgrading to F a good bit (Need to hit $15k and being in F saved my sanity on quick trips or long ones)

I dont even look at the upgrade list anymore and let the reader print me something new if I get it, also most personal trips I buy F outright

Only one flight this year has it NOT been a battleground upgrade

This year I started tracking my upgrade success in a spreadsheet. January was my best upgrade success month at 42% and my worst was February with 0% March was 25% April 38% and May so far 0%
Old May 3, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by Spec1alk
I didn't see a relevant thread on this and was curious, how has the increased MQD requirement affected the number of DM vs PM? Are there any figures showing that the MQD increase had caused the number of DM's to drop?
According to a couple of DL people I’ve spoken with, number of DMs dropped from just below 60K in 2018 to just above 40K in 2019, attributed almost entirely to the $250K waiver.

A 20-25% reduction.

No “sources” to cite, but that has been the consistent internal refrain. So, take it FWIW.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
April 24 DCA-ATL-PLS, got the upgrade on the DCA-ATL leg. 6:59a flight. 7 upgrades given out at the gate. Missed the PLS upgrade by 1. (50%)
April 30 PLS-ATL-DCA, got the upgrade PLS-ATL, only gate upgrade. Was 20 out of 48 with 0 upgrades ATL-DCA. (50%)

I actually wasn’t expecting any upgrades. The PLS flights are almost always sold out up front. I normally by F. The only reason I didn’t this time was the fare was much higher than normal.
Old May 3, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta DM
It looks like Delta threw me a bone. 2 weeks ago, my flight ATL-EWR got delayed 6 hours. Got home at 4am. All due to weather. Weather is nice today. Got a late notice for a delay. 2 hours. Via e-mail, they notified me that my flight was delayed. It also showed the flights to and from EWR and the seats. I didnt get an upgrade for the return trip at the 5 day window. As PM, I rarely get the uprade on the return trip. I guess I'll take 50/50. So, it looks like someone at Delta took pity on me and upgraded me on the return flight for the delay.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: DL PM; Marriott Plat; Hilton Honors Gold
I got my first international OpUp as a Platinum flying DUB-JFK. I scanned my boarding pass and a new seat popped up on the screen. The interesting thing is the flight was not full. There were still 5 open seats in D1. I am surprised that as a platinum I would be near the top of the list. I guess it was just my luck day.
CMK10, Duke787 and TheHorta like this.
Old May 4, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I'm currently in BOG, and so far all my flights have been upgraded to Clase Premier on AM on the way here (LAX-BJX-MEX-BOG). On the way back, I was upgraded four days out on my MEX-LAX flight (operated by DL, but ticketed by AM), while I have to wait until tomorrow when I board for BOG-MEX. Given loads though (on MEX-BOG, the Clase Premier cabin was only half-full), I'm likely going to get upgraded on that as well.

That said, for all of 2019 so far I've been automatically upgraded to C+, but as to First? Well:

* LGA-PIT: 1/1
* PIT-LAX: 0/2
* LAX-DFW: 0/3
* LAX-DEN: 1/2 (LAX-DEN)

Hoping to snag an upgrade for LAX-JFK next week, but I know that's a very long shot.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:12 pm

PM:
1/23: BOS-FLL - Immediate to C+, Last to clear to F at gate
2/2: Booked FLL-LGA-BOS Immediate to C+, but wanted to SDC to later flights when that window opened up. Ended up confirming FLL-JFK-BOS, wherein they reprocessed my upgrades and I ended up with confirmed F on FLL-JFK and back to Y on JFK-BOS, with a C+ and F upgrade pending. C+ cleared at 24 hours (I think) and F cleared a few hours before takeoff (during my layover in JFK).
5/7: BOS-SLC-PDX - Immediate to C+, BOS-SLC F Cleared at 120 hours, SLC-PDX didn't but did clear to F about 28 hours later.
So far 5/5!
krakendown likes this.
Old May 5, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
RDU - BOS, corporate Q fare, 175 downgauged to CR7 at T-24, cleared at PM window

Last edited by Duke787; May 5, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old May 6, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Some good upgrade success on our family trip last week on award tickets (traveled with my non-status 2 year old who was my companion, and GM wife on a separate PNR with our lap infant):

4/27 BWI-ATL: DM + companion upgraded to F at window, GM upgraded to C+ at window
4/27 ATL-MHH: DM + companion and GM all upgraded to F at windows
5/4 MHH-ATL: DM + companion and GM all upgraded to F at T-24
5/4 ATL-BWI: DM only upgraded to F at gate (#1 of 8 for 1 seat, companion was in C+ since booking), and GM upgraded to C+ at window. I gave the F seat to my GM wife with our lap infant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.