Basic Eco is now available on awards!

Old Dec 6, 18, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter View Post
Really???? They go into withdrawals if they don't get their pre-flight beverage and you expect them to live without knowing that they get their preferred seat and won't be able to come on here and scream about how they were cheated out of an upgrade????

I don't think so!
Hahahaha!

I never think in terms of PDBs. Certainly seats are important to just about anyone, but, I sure wouldn't pay any extra, in cash or miles for a seat assignment or a CHANCE at an upgrade on an hour flight!
Old Dec 6, 18, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
It's not the UG issue that makes the tickets so bad. The bigger issues are:

-you can't select a seat until check in, so you are probably in a middle seat
-You can't make any changes to the ticket at all, so no SDC.
- I would not expect the redeposit benefit to extend to BE award tickets, because they can't be redeposited. standard tickets can, with a fee. In this case, my guess is that DL will say that there is no fee to be waived because the option just does not exist.
I guess I'm thinking that, the route I'd most likely be willing to do a BE ticket on, would be PIT/NYC, and there aren't any middle seats on those planes!
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:04 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
It's not the UG issue that makes the tickets so bad. The bigger issues are:

-you can't select a seat until check in, so you are probably in a middle seat
-You can't make any changes to the ticket at all, so no SDC.
- I would not expect the redeposit benefit to extend to BE award tickets, because they can't be redeposited. standard tickets can, with a fee. In this case, my guess is that DL will say that there is no fee to be waived because the option just does not exist.
Agree with the latter two issues, but the first point has to be balanced against reports of people getting C+ or other preferred seats from BE, so GAs may lookout for elites, who knows.

If I ever bought BE* I'd certainly mentally prepare for a middle seat but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

*Probably only on a short haul regional jet where the odds are better and/or the penalty less, depending how you want to look at it
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA
lol. You people . . .

Yes, assuming DL adopts this across the board, it probably does mean that the price of regular Y awards goes up. But do you REALLY think that the price of regular Y awards wouldn't have gone up ANYWAY? At least this provides another option.

I've bought BE fares. I was still able to select preferred seats at the 24 hour mark, and got good exit rows. As a lowly Gold flying out of ATL, I never get upgraded anyhow (and I prefer the exit rows to Plus seats). You still get to use the SkyPriority lanes and boarding. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between BE and regular Y.

This is really only an issue for flyers who like to change their minds or otherwise need flexibility. That's not how I (and lots of other people) plan travel.

The overwrought wailing and gnashing of teeth is really kind of amusing to me.
Widgets likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:22 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by WWads View Post
This is the final straw, I'm through as a DL elite if this is the case. DL can get bent. I'll just suck it up and start taking nonstops ex-DCA on AA. At least that airline is honest and open about how they screw over their customers, and with the new concourse, the biggest issue with AA at DCA (35X) will be gone.
Good luck arriving on time, given AA's horrible operations lately. Hope you enjoy AA's 737 MAX. And what will you do if/when AA starts basic economy awards? Probably only a matter of time since AA loves to copy Delta.
wrp96 and Duke787 like this.

Last edited by Austin787; Dec 6, 18 at 1:44 pm
Old Dec 6, 18, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by hotturnip View Post
lol. You people . . .

Yes, assuming DL adopts this across the board, it probably does mean that the price of regular Y awards goes up. But do you REALLY think that the price of regular Y awards wouldn't have gone up ANYWAY? At least this provides another option.

I've bought BE fares. I was still able to select preferred seats at the 24 hour mark, and got good exit rows. As a lowly Gold flying out of ATL, I never get upgraded anyhow (and I prefer the exit rows to Plus seats). You still get to use the SkyPriority lanes and boarding. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between BE and regular Y.

This is really only an issue for flyers who like to change their minds or otherwise need flexibility. That's not how I (and lots of other people) plan travel.

You must be flying on some odd routes or odd times if good exit rows are available at T-24.
ethernal likes this.
Old Dec 6, 18, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Imminent death of ~the Internet~ SkyMiles predicted, film at 11

It's a total -sandwich, sure, but not so drastic that I'm going to storm off or think it will kill the program.
We broke the internet? Isn't there a movie about that?
Old Dec 6, 18, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Silver
I don't think it would be a big issue if this was an isolated move. The biggest problem that I have (and I assume many others as well) is that this is just another in what is becoming a VERY LONG sequence of continued devaluation of the program and its benefits. DL makes comments like all the program devaluations were driven by its customers, but its customers are the ones getting screwed over in the process.
Old Dec 7, 18, 1:50 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I’m tired; and exhausted.

A part art of me is in complete wonder that they’re being this aggressive during record profit times, yet the big banks are pegging the chances of a recession within the next two years over 75% - I sure as hell won’t forget
Old Dec 7, 18, 4:13 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota View Post
I’m tired; and exhausted.

A part art of me is in complete wonder that they’re being this aggressive during record profit times, yet the big banks are pegging the chances of a recession within the next two years over 75% - I sure as hell won’t forget
Off topic... not that I disagree but the fact that everyone expects a recession in the next two years is probably the best indicator that there won't be a recession in the next two years.

The airlines will of course be negatively impacted by a recession, but the real reason for record profitability is record high levels of industry concentration (i.e., lack of competition). For the most part, the major airlines all work together in tacit collusion (the legal kind, unfortunately) to control capacity and ensure high prices. Tacit collusion is hard with 10 major players, but pretty easy with only 3-4. There would be an adjustment period but the airlines would all shrink ASM if market demand fell to keep prices (and, therefore profitability) high. Airlines with higher fixed costs (e.g., airframe depreciation) would suffer more but I think at least the legacies have the discipline to weather the storm (which is unfortunate since it hurts consumers).
Old Dec 7, 18, 9:51 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787 View Post
Good luck arriving on time, given AA's horrible operations lately. Hope you enjoy AA's 737 MAX. And what will you do if/when AA starts basic economy awards? Probably only a matter of time since AA loves to copy Delta.
Yeah but AA has a lot of nonstops. So far the benefits that DL provides have made up for the connections, but the gap is narrowing.
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
And the SkyMiles grinch delivers more Christmas joy.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Delta will be the innovator when it comes to minimizing (or in MBA speak, normalizing) value customers receive from its loyalty program. UA and AA will follow. There will be exceptions over time, but this trend has been apparent for the better part of this decade. If you’re flying DL for any reason other than its price and product, prepare to take the first blows.

The end state will be fare-based award redemption. We’re already practically there in all but the name. Award fares are filed with fare basis codes that map to revenue booking class codes. We’ve seen advance purchase requirements, and one-ways costing more than round trips. Delta has effectively achieved fare-based redemption on its own metal without calling it that. Boiling the frog slowly.

Just like with cash BE fares, the result of this latest change will not be lower mileage award tickets for all, but rather extracting that many more miles from a subset of passengers who they can squeeze for it.
arunhn likes this.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 7, 18 at 10:12 am
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by WWads View Post
Yeah but AA has a lot of nonstops. <snip>
True, but they have a lot of "nonstarts", too.
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:22 am

lol. You people . . .

Right???? If you have ever wondered what would happen if Eeyore and Chicken Little had a baby together... just hang around the DL forum on FT for a while - "OMG!!!! THE SKY IS FALLLLLLING!!!!! and it's gonna be bad....bad for everyone.....and my tail fell off. It wasn't a very good tail......"
Old Dec 7, 18, 10:26 am

I've been elite on a couple of airlines. the only reason the grass is greener is different manure!

And I decided a few years ago to base my travel on price and time not miles. Since I live in ATL that generally does mean Delta since taking longer to get somewhere just to rack up airline points seems unreasonable to me, but YMMV

Search this Thread