Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any advantage to book via AirFrance.com?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, DL Amex Reserve Hilton Diamond AS 75K

Looking to buy a codeshare flight from SFO to CDG on Air France metal for my son. Its priced the same on both websites, however, it appears as tho you can pay for seats on Airfrance.com and not on Delta since its showing basic economy on Delta.com.....................
Am I missing anything here? What's the advantage of buying via Delta?

Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I generally book through DL if I can. I prefer to deal with their customer service.
frankflieslots likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
What I have just discovered is that I will earn more MQDs for my flight having booked on the KLM site.

Additionally I can tell you for planning waaaaay in advance, that Delta only opens up flights 331 days in advance (I believe of the return flight). While I was monitoring prices they were going up before they were available on Delta at all.

I can confirm Medalllion line is much better than any KLM/AF customer service I've dealt with.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:56 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
I had to use the AF site to book so we could use a couple of AF-issued vouchers (in Euros, of course) toward the purchase. As soon as I booked, I called DL and they “took” control of the itinerary, so it showed up in our DL apps, we received full credit, and we could deal directly with DL on all future correspondence.

It it was quick and painless, and I felt better about dealing with a familiar system than with AF CS agents.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by WWads
I generally book through DL if I can. I prefer to deal with their customer service.
In the US, it's the same customer service that handles DL, KL and AF.
glennhaak and obscure2k like this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I don't know whether there is any potential for complimentary domestic upgrades on DL (Medallion member), but if there are, then book via DL; with an AF codeshare number you are on the bottom of the upgrade list. However, calculate MQD earnings with an AF ticket and compare it with DL earnings: in some cases MQDs are much better on Air France, particularly if it is a relatively inexpensive J ticket.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
Customer service of AF/KL in North America is commonly handled by Delta. From a PA's word: "Not all DL agents can take calls for AF/KL, but all AF/KL agents can take calls for DL"

One exception is the website technical support, which is AF/KL's own team based in the US.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by BobTL
In the US, it's the same customer service that handles DL, KL and AF.
Originally Posted by tbaiyun
Customer service of AF/KL in North America is commonly handled by Delta. From a PA's word: "Not all DL agents can take calls for AF/KL, but all AF/KL agents can take calls for DL"

One exception is the website technical support, which is AF/KL's own team based in the US.
Calm down folks...I think WWads was referring to the Medallion Line, which is actually part of the Reservations Department. This is the number you would call prior/during travel for assistance. The Delta folks who man this line - especially for Medallions - are leaps and bounds better than their AFKLM counterparts either at the JV Desk, Flying Blue Line, or the AFKLM Reservations Line.

You two are speaking of post-travel Customer Service, where you call either the Atlanta number or write in via the website. In that case, for US customers, yes DL handles for AFKLM - but this is completely different from the folks you speak to before/during travel at a Reservations desk.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
As Wimsta pointed out, if you book KL/AF coded and operated flights via the AF or KL www sites you will earn MQDs based on distance rather than $s. Sometimes, especially on a low business class fare you come out ahead that way, but MQDs might be less.
If you put your SM number into the KL/AF reservation, US domestic and trans-Atl flights generally show up on delta.com My Trips. Sometimes the European connecting legs show up on My Trips, sometimes not. For the last few years, the AF/KL PNRs have worked for me on delta.com in pulling up itins, likewise DL PNRs have worked on the AF/KL sites.
Of course all of these things sometimes don't work that way.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jimblack
Looking to buy a codeshare flight from SFO to CDG on Air France metal for my son. Its priced the same on both websites, however, it appears as tho you can pay for seats on Airfrance.com and not on Delta since its showing basic economy on Delta.com.....................
Am I missing anything here? What's the advantage of buying via Delta?

Thanks
If he has status, he would lose out on his upgrade to C+ at the regular window, and only clear day of.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkP24
If he has status, he would lose out on his upgrade to C+ at the regular window, and only clear day of.
Pretty sure there's no C+ on an Air France flight from SFO to CDG.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Pretty sure there's no C+ on an Air France flight from SFO to CDG.
You're absolutely right! Whoops!

I was thinking it was on DL metal, and an AF codeshare

Last edited by MarkP24; Nov 26, 2018 at 5:45 am Reason: clarfication
Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Originally Posted by Wimsta
What I have just discovered is that I will earn more MQDs for my flight having booked on the KLM site.
Where you book doesn't matter, what matters is the flight numbers. If you book KL/AF flight numbers, RDM and MQD are calculated as a % of distance flown. If you book DL flight numbers it is per usual DL rules.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: DL DM
Yesterday I cancelled an AF marketed and operated flight/MQD run booked in PE (fare class A), and was able to take a refund to OFP with $290 penalty or a voucher with $230 change fee. I took the refund. A question for those with more experience, do the change/cancellation fee rules vary between DL marketed and AF or KL marketed fights? Or would I have been able to get the safe refund terms with a DL marketed, AF fight?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by ajggiant
Yesterday I cancelled an AF marketed and operated flight/MQD run booked in PE (fare class A), and was able to take a refund to OFP with $290 penalty or a voucher with $230 change fee. I took the refund. A question for those with more experience, do the change/cancellation fee rules vary between DL marketed and AF or KL marketed fights? Or would I have been able to get the safe refund terms with a DL marketed, AF fight?
I don’t know if there are any real ‘rules’ or it depends on the agent, and the customer’s status and attitude.
About a year ago, I had to cancel a flight booked on the AF www site. I called the US AF phone and the DL agent cancelled the booking and issued a credit for the fare to my DL account. I then used the credit to purchase flights booked through DL. I was expecting AF credit. Not sure why I got what I see as excellent service. Maybe DL DM status, but I wasn’t talking to the DM folks; the phone was answered ‘DL, KL, AF’ or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.