Wiki Posts
Search

"Uneven Exchange" ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Chick FIl-A Red Member
"Uneven Exchange" ?

Called in to use the NYC Weather Waiver to switch flights. Computer was apparently not behaving so I was placed on hold. Eventually, they got it fixed and moved me to my desired flight, but agent said I somehow got issued a $37 ecredit because the "exchange was uneven." He said it was my 'lucky day' and we shared a laugh. Anyone else have something similar? First time I've ever experienced this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I am guessing you now have fewer connections and therefore facility user fees. I have switched connections where they ask me to pay another $1.50 due to tax differences. Most times...they don't seem to bother?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta Plat
What flights? Were you moved from C+ to Regular Y etc?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
What flights? Were you moved from C+ to Regular Y etc?
New flight is DL1115. LGA-MCO. No change in cabin. Was C+ before, still C+ (W).
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Maybe the new ticket price was actually less expensive so they issued the voucher.
OHDL1 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
We're you within the free cancellation period?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
We're you within the free cancellation period?
Nope, this ticket has been booked for about two weeks. Called in for a weather waiver change when this happened .
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe the new ticket price was actually less expensive so they issued the voucher.
This is my guess - ticket + change fee was less than original ticket. So rather than do a $0 change, the agent did the regular ticket change and so you got a refund.

Inventory and revenue management can get weird during IRROPs so maybe the new flight was very cheap.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernal
This is my guess - ticket + change fee was less than original ticket. So rather than do a $0 change, the agent did the regular ticket change and so you got a refund.

Inventory and revenue management can get weird during IRROPs so maybe the new flight was very cheap.
Ah... that makes sense. Didn't think of it that way. So it's essentially a 'negative' fare difference. Very interesting!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Ya, Ima thinking with the crazy weather/traffic day we had yesterday, more people were trying to get here than leave, and the fares out of NYC metro went down.

I had friends on their way here yesterday from JAX delayed and cancelled all day, only making it into Newark late this morning. I have another friend who I didn't speak to, but I was told his flight from FLL made it to NY airspace and then was diverted, not sure where to. I don't think he's arrived yet.

Edit: I just looked at Flightview, and none of today's NY flights have arrived yet.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I've gotten a $49 credit card refund when I changed from CDG-JFK-RDU to CDG-RDU during a weather waiver. Looking at the receipt, it seemed to be due to currency fluctuations and facility charge changes.

Have fun with your e-credit! Don't use it all in one place
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:55 am
Suspended

How can the value of the ticket vary after purchase?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mbrown99
How can the value of the ticket vary after purchase?
They rebook you into a cheaper fare. It may be rare - you would need to meet the advance purchase rules of the new fare on short notice, and they would need inventory in the cheaper fare buckets even as people are scrambling to avoid the storm. Congrats to the OP.

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.