Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HELP - JFK to CLT today!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:33 am
Original Poster

HELP - JFK to CLT today!

so i’m In Brooklyn, a $75 cab ride from JFK due to check out of my hotel for my 3pm flight to CLT. Last night they asked me how much I’d take to be bumped off the flight. I chose the middle option, $300 which covers the cost of my flight. Last time I was able to look I was on standby and the 12th person for 12 seats. When I check now I get told i’m going to be issued a document to pass security and be given my boarding pass at the gate.... 🤔

There was only only one other flight today that just left so i’m guessing the flight is going to be massively oversold due to everyone who couldn't fly yesterday. There’s also a huge delay - 3pm has turned to 7:30pm and it’s the last flight of the day. What should I do? I don’t want to trek all the way to JFK only to have to pay for a cab back again if i’m not going to get decent compensation for it. This trip isn’t essential (it’s just me visiting a friend for 3 days) so if i’m bumped today I likely won’t go at all. What would you do in this situation? Go to the airport or try and negotiate a price for the seat on the phone?? I fly to the US a lot on a limited budget (my sons father lives here) so vouchers aren’t something I can give up easily as they essentially allow him to see his dad more than either of us can afford to make happen...

Any advice for getting the best outcome here is appreciated! You guys are way better at this than me!!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by toffeenut1982
so i’m In Brooklyn, a $75 cab ride from JFK due to check out of my hotel for my 3pm flight to CLT. Last night they asked me how much I’d take to be bumped off the flight. I chose the middle option, $300 which covers the cost of my flight. Last time I was able to look I was on standby and the 12th person for 12 seats. When I check now I get told i’m going to be issued a document to pass security and be given my boarding pass at the gate.... 🤔

There was only only one other flight today that just left so i’m guessing the flight is going to be massively oversold due to everyone who couldn't fly yesterday. There’s also a huge delay - 3pm has turned to 7:30pm and it’s the last flight of the day. What should I do? I don’t want to trek all the way to JFK only to have to pay for a cab back again if i’m not going to get decent compensation for it. This trip isn’t essential (it’s just me visiting a friend for 3 days) so if i’m bumped today I likely won’t go at all. What would you do in this situation? Go to the airport or try and negotiate a price for the seat on the phone?? I fly to the US a lot on a limited budget (my sons father lives here) so vouchers aren’t something I can give up easily as they essentially allow him to see his dad more than either of us can afford to make happen...

Any advice for getting the best outcome here is appreciated! You guys are way better at this than me!!
Do you have so much luggage that you can not take public transportation to (and, if necessary, from) JFK?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

It’s not so much the luggage preventing me taking the coach - i’m 5ft 4 and female and I just put my back out trying to bend down to zip up my suitcase. Currently sat in the breakfast area of my hotel with a hot water bottle! There’s no chance of me getting to wherever the coach leaves from.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
It’s not so much the luggage preventing me taking the coach - i’m 5ft 4 and female and I just put my back out trying to bend down to zip up my suitcase. Currently sat in the breakfast area of my hotel with a hot water bottle! There’s no chance of me getting to wherever the coach leaves from.
It's easy to get to JFK if you take the LIRR there. Cheap and not much hassle with luggage.

Having said that, it seems you massively under-negotiated yesterday. The compensation you get for being bumped is not based on what you paid - if it's voluntary and in exchange for an airline voucher, it's based on how badly they need the seat. They can offer any amount.

You should never select less than $800 on Delta.com or on the Delta kiosk (you can manually enter this much). Sometimes they will offer more.

You could also negotiate meal vouchers and cab vouchers as part of being bumped. You should have done this yesterday, and could do this today too. You just need to request it at the time you are asked to volunteer, to make clear that those additional vouchers are required for you to voluntarily bump.

They won't offer vouchers over the phone because then anyone could do this. VDB (voluntarily denied boarding) and the subsequent compensation they offer is only offered at the departure gate of the flight - when they know for sure every seat is filled and absolutely need those volunteers.

By the way - Delta is supposed to offer all volunteers the same as the max/highest bidder required when they process these - was your flight yesterday maxed out at $300? That seems low. If others were offered more, you can seek out a Red Coat or OSM (Operations Service Manager) at JFK today and ask them to look at the VDB details for yesterday and "match" what the highest bidder received off your flight yesterday.

Just so you know - regular gate agents at Delta now can offer up to $2,000, and Red Coats up to $9,900, in vouchers, to obtain volunteers. $300 is on the very low end.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
​​​​​Sorry to hear about your back.

Have you put your hotel address and the JFK Airport Delta terminal in Google Maps to see what public transportation options are available? There are no express buses from Brooklyn to JFK, but there is a local bus to JFK Terminal 5, and subways to the AirTrain terminals. You could take a (short?) taxi ride to the subway or bus stop. But if you're unable to lift or carry your suitcase because of your back, then I'm afraid that even that won't be an option for you.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
It's easy to get to JFK if you take the LIRR there. Cheap and not much hassle with luggage.

Having said that, it seems you massively under-negotiated yesterday. The compensation you get for being bumped is not based on what you paid - if it's voluntary and in exchange for an airline voucher, it's based on how badly they need the seat. They can offer any amount.

You should never select less than $800 on Delta.com or on the Delta kiosk (you can manually enter this much). Sometimes they will offer more.

You could also negotiate meal vouchers and cab vouchers as part of being bumped. You should have done this yesterday, and could do this today too. You just need to request it at the time you are asked to volunteer, to make clear that those additional vouchers are required for you to voluntarily bump.

They won't offer vouchers over the phone because then anyone could do this. VDB (voluntarily denied boarding) and the subsequent compensation they offer is only offered at the departure gate of the flight - when they know for sure every seat is filled and absolutely need those volunteers.

By the way - Delta is supposed to offer all volunteers the same as the max/highest bidder required when they process these - was your flight yesterday maxed out at $300? That seems low. If others were offered more, you can seek out a Red Coat or OSM (Operations Service Manager) at JFK today and ask them to look at the VDB details for yesterday and "match" what the highest bidder received off your flight yesterday.

Just so you know - regular gate agents at Delta now can offer up to $2,000, and Red Coats up to $9,900, in vouchers, to obtain volunteers. $300 is on the very low end.
wow, thank you! That’s really helpful! The fact that I selected $300 online should be null and void if they involuntarily deny me boarding, right? The options were $200, $300 and $500. I read an article where someone accepted $200 on the online check in page as a way of showing interest in being bumped but negotiated what amounted to $800 at the gate! Would you recommend I grab some lunch and head to the airport at 4 for my now delayed until 7pm flight?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by btonkid12345

I don't think OP has taken anything yet. It sounds like she just put in a bid last night for a flight today and I don't believe they hold people to bids. Sounds like maybe she has a BE fare and thus the standby for seat assignment. Confirmed BE pax won't get bumped by people who are standing by for flight.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=btonkid12345;30436893

was your flight yesterday maxed out at $300? That seems low. If others were offered more, you can seek out a Red Coat or OSM (Operations Service Manager) at JFK today and ask them to look at the VDB details for yesterday and "match" what the highest bidder received off your flight yesterday.

Just so you know - regular gate agents at Delta now can offer up to $2,000, and Red Coats up to $9,900, in vouchers, to obtain volunteers. $300 is on the very low end.[/QUOTE]

- just to clarify I had no flight yesterday - I was talking about what happened when I attempted to check in to today’s flight - that was the middle option I was given when they asked how much I’d accept to give up my seat!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just because you selected a number while checking in online doesn't mean thats all you're going to get.
If they really are oversold then they'll be offering much higher amounts at the gate... particularly if it means another overnight stay. You could then also ask for taxi/cab voucher and hotel along with the bump voucher.

Regarding the ticket, I am assuming as others said, that you have a basic economy ticket and that is why you don't have a seat assignment?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
I don't think OP has taken anything yet. It sounds like she just put in a bid last night for a flight today and I don't believe they hold people to bids. Sounds like maybe she has a BE fare and thus the standby for seat assignment. Confirmed BE pax won't get bumped by people who are standing by for flight.
This - I was asked what i’d accept to give up my seat. If I go to the airport in a few hours, can I negotiate more or have I effectively given up my advantage now? When I could see the standby and upgrade lists it said I was no 11 of 11 seats on standby..... but as far as i’m aware I should still have a ticketed seat as I haven’t been given any type of voucher yet!! Could I also say I clicked the wrong button by mistake?! 😂
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Agree, OP post is confusing on this. However OP would've been given a hotel and taxi vouchers at least to and if no shuttle also back from hotel.

Getting a seat assignment card just means there's no regular seats to assign at thus point. It might be oversold or it might not. Asking for volunteers online is no guarantee that a flight is oversold, or if it is, that'll it end up oversold at departure.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Agree, OP post is confusing on this. However OP would've been given a hotel and taxi vouchers at least to and if no shuttle also back from hotel.

Getting a seat assignment card just means there's no regular seats to assign at thus point. It might be oversold or it might not. Asking for volunteers online is no guarantee that a flight is oversold, or if it is, that'll it end up oversold at departure.
Hi, I am the OP - it said I was only allowed 5 posts on the other account so I had to dig out the password for this one! 😂 You are tight, it is a basic economy ticket for today, which I tried to check in for last night and clicked $300 when I was asked what I would accept to give up my seat. I have silver status with virgin which is why I believe I’m able to check my bags free of charge.

So you advise going to the airport in an hour or so and then negotiating at the gate? I’m apprehensive about going at all now as my flight back to London on monday is on a separate itinerary and the last thing I want is for another snow storm to hit New York and make it hard for me to get back. Obv I don’t want Delta to know that though. If I can get vouchers I can book a direct flight to visit my friend another time.

What sort of thing should I be aiming for voucher wise? Can I negotiate cab fare too?! Currently hotel less lol

i really appreciate all the advice - thank you!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This - I was asked what i’d accept to give up my seat. If I go to the airport in a few hours, can I negotiate more or have I effectively given up my advantage now? When I could see the standby and upgrade lists it said I was no 11 of 11 seats on standby..... but as far as i’m aware I should still have a ticketed seat as I haven’t been given any type of voucher yet!! Could I also say I clicked the wrong button by mistake?! ��
BE fares show as "stand-by" when they don't have a seat assignment, but they are not really considered stand-by passengers. That's just how they show the passengers awaiting seat assignments. You are actually considered a confirmed passenger. If you don't show up at the gate, you will be considered a no-show and you won't get anything (it doesn't matter if you bid something or not). This all assumes they actually end up needing seats. My guess is that there will be a number of people who change flights and no-show's and they won't need to bump anyone. They generally will not bump someone just to accommodate passengers who have not been confirmed on the flight and are just standing-by.
ryw likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 16, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Is there a way to see the standby screen now? Seems to have vanished!
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Pepsi82
Is there a way to see the standby screen now? Seems to have vanished!
If you have the DL app it is on there. upgrade/standby when looking at your flight.
Click standby and it will tell you how many seats are left st the time you click on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.