Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club Price Increase and No More Single Visit Passes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium

More changes effective January 1, 2019.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/delta-sk...dates#clubnews

The price of an individual membership goes up $50 to $545 and up from 47k to 54.5k miles.
The price of an executive membership goes up $100 to $845 or 84.5k miles.
They will no longer sell single visit passes as of today unless you are a Delta Amex card holder, Platinum Amex card holder, or you have an individual membership.

This is on top of the other changes announced earlier this year.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Last edited by SJC ORD LDR; Nov 15, 2018 at 2:33 pm
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Makes the reg Amex Platinum card look like a good deal.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:49 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
wow, eliminating passes is huge
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I am glad I got the gold delta amex. I don't use the skyclub much but when I do its under 30 bucks.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by pvn
wow, eliminating passes is huge
You'd almost think they actually care about not overcrowding the clubs?

Kidding aside, what share are daily passes of total club visits? For an airline that looks for incremental revenue wherever it can, eliminating these passes seems like an odd move. Any day pass purchase should be dollars that drop 99% straight to the bottom line?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Less people is good. I am all fort these changes and yes I will have to buy my membership for next year, I won't make Diamond for next year.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by estedman
Less people is good. I am all fort these changes and yes I will have to buy my membership for next year, I won't make Diamond for next year.
I hope by "buy" you mean get a card that provides access like the Amex Platinum. The card gives you other benefits as well. The only reason I can see to buy an actual membership directly from Delta is if your company lets you expense it. Other than that, you should be getting it for free (Diamond), or via a card.
youvesaiditall and KOTAR1988 like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Interesting changes. The only time I tend to see people buy the one day passes is when it's a vacation traveler who comes in thinking their domestic F ticket gets them in and then decides to pay for the entry.

It will be interesting to see if the passes disappear from SkyBonus. That's currently a benefit I could see being popular with businesses and I've sent a client passes before.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
You'd almost think they actually care about not overcrowding the clubs?

Kidding aside, what share are daily passes of total club visits? For an airline that looks for incremental revenue wherever it can, eliminating these passes seems like an odd move. Any day pass purchase should be dollars that drop 99% straight to the bottom line?
However they risk losing money when have to turn someone back. I've seen T4 club at maximum legal capacity recently. They were handing out vouchers.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
I cant see this being an issue for Sky Clubs at smaller airports. It will be a more visible effect at the large hubs.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
IRROPS at a hub can mean paying for the day pass merely to get expedited rebooking assistance worth it. Then, if it means waiting there is the SC itself.

Problem is that these peak loads are exactly one of the justifications for a membership and when the place is flooded, it makes the membership (with or without a card) less valuable.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
I just don't know how this can really impact volume. It has to be such a tiny fraction of total visits (even during crowded IRROPS times) - especially since day passes will continue to be sold for Delta Amex credit card holders. And, quite frankly, I would think that whatever super price insensitive customer that is willing to pay $59 for a club visit is exactly the type of passenger that Delta wants to have.

That said, I'm fine with whatever approach reduces crowding. It's gotten to the point I sometimes just turn around and leave because I can't find a place to sit.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta
Surely they did the math and figured out that with the number of expected paid membership renewals that the price increase will more than make up for the single day pass revenue they are foregoing.

I’m sitting in the RDU SkyClub right now and it is packed to the brim. Hard to believe everyone in here is DM or has membership via paid/card.
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:23 pm

Makes the $450 DL AMEX Reserve card look more worthwhile now even though the spend waiver is now $250,000.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:29 pm

I still think the Amex Plat is a better choice if you are going to go with a card. The only benefit the Delta Amex has is the MQMs. If you don't need those, the nthe Amex Plat is probably better, especially if you can pick it up during one of the 100,000 point offers. Those 100,000 points are arguably worth $1800 or so.
BenA and Becky Haen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.