Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tenth Anniversary of DL/NW merger

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I miss eight to ten SEA-MSP flights daily, many of them DC10s with +/- 35 F seats apiece. Even SEA-MEM had a DC10 1x/daily.
I miss the +/- 1030p DTW-SEA departure. I could work past dinnertime anywhere on the east coast, catch a hop to DTW, and connect for home easily. You can't do any such thing anymore.
I miss off-peak WBC awards to Europe for 55k miles RT.
I miss easy upgrades, lavish bonus miles, pretty easy redemption, and WorldPerks stem to stern.

Those were the days. But I suppose NW as it was in the '90s and '00s would not be viable in 2018.
Jaimito Cartero and enviroian like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Overall DL has done major things to upgrade the hard product and deserve lots of kudos. What I miss:

- Platinum UG guarantee
- Published award charts with the ability to book low awards
- Phantom UG’s
- Elite status that actually felt special
wlau, MSPeconomist and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:41 pm

A couple of things I really miss from pmNW:

1. Boarding bulkhead pax before others.

2. When changing a flight, not having to pay separate full change fee when the new flight costs less than the original flight!

(I'm sure both of these things happened right before the merger...)
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
I completely agree. The upgrades were fantastic. The Chisolm girls always took care of us and I never ever missed an upgrade. Even the old galley hags were fun to talk to on Trans-pacs.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gaugeguy
I completely agree. The upgrades were fantastic. The Chisolm girls always took care of us and I never ever missed an upgrade. Even the old galley hags were fun to talk to on Trans-pacs.
Girls? Old galley hags? Are you thinking about service on the Wright Brothers airline? I think you have the wrong century.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, MM, AS MVP, Lifetime Skyclub, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, National Exec Elite, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Girls? Old galley hags? Are you thinking about service on the Wright Brothers airline? I think you have the wrong century.

No, I don't have the wrong century... geese.. lighten up. The Chisholm agents were almost all female and were wonderful no disrespect for them. As for the galley hags..there were some really old surly FAs from the west coast that either hated their jobs and needed to retire or a few still loved them, and had good stories.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My favorite PMNW Plat line agent at Chisholm was on older gentleman who had retired from some other (corporate?) job and was working for NW in order to take advantage of the "free" nonrev travel benefits. He answered a number of times when I called late at night, close to closing time for Chisholm which IIRC was around 1 am local time. When the call center wasn't busy, it was fun to chat with him.

More generally, I always liked that when I called into NW from wherever on some trip, I could ask about the weather back in MN.
jiburi and dtwtransport like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would that be the 767s with recliner seats in the 2-2-2 configuration, now used for domestic FC rather than BE?
Those 767s never went that far south. If it was a 67 it had to be the seats before lie-flats but I didn't think they were that narrow.

At times I actually miss those seats. Weren't great for sleeping but IMO much better for just lounging in for flights I didn't want to sleep on.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I wore black for the occasion.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I do miss the KLM integration -- it has gotten better recently but still not as seamless as the "old days."
Yes, the better integration with AF/KLM is a necessity. In the coming years Delta will depend on them to connect more and more passengers over AMS and CDG as the 767's are retired and we lose our nonstops to secondary cities from the US.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:24 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think Delta has done a good job with the merger. Overall, it's a good airline. But the Skymiles program is a shell of what it was.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
It's not fair to company 2008 NW with 2018 DL -- not just physical things (lie flats, etc) or program (upgrades, redemption rates). I expect if there was no merger these things still would have changed. Maybe differently, but they would have changed ("Man, the NW iPhone app really sucked" )

I do miss the KLM integration -- it has gotten better recently but still not as seamless as the "old days."

I also miss MEM -- easy to connect and some good BBQ while you waited. I expect some on the DL miss CVG.
I of course miss having 4-5 flight per day out of CVG to pretty much anywhere I needed to go. That said, I don’t miss paying $1100 a pop for the privilege.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Still use my old Brass 2 million miler luggage tag, ( on my carry on only.)
Happy memories for me , even when landing in the wrong airport in Germany on one occasion !
And being invited by the Northwest Gatwick station to their Christmas 'do's' including the Beach Boys one year !
Taking the family, 2+2 , for winter sports to Steamboat Springs one year, arrived at Gatwick 'Hi Mike, Minneapolis is full, we've got a taxi for you, to go to Heathrow....put you on Virgin Upper Deck !' And no taxes in those days either.
Only one horrendous winter comes to mind....massive delay out of Gatwick due to MSP closed....eventually diverted on route to NewYork, no one to meet us..very late at night...I think it was a Continental agent who organised a hotel.....next morning off to MPS, but again closed, landed at Milwaukee....told we could get off, but stay in the gate area...do not wander off...eventually called back...took off minus the two people in front of me who didn't show up .....I often wonder what happened to them !
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I think Delta has done a good job with the merger. Overall, it's a good airline. But the Skymiles program is a shell of what it was.
Yes. The SkyMiles program and its very high award prices make it uncompetitive, but Delta's product itself is arguably better than the competition.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
I miss the hub at NRT...seeing all those glorious 747s lined up. My first trip to Asia, in 2002, was PVD-DTW-NRT-PEK. The NRT-PEK leg was on a 747 without an empty seat...
jiburi and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.