Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tenth Anniversary of DL/NW merger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2023, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
There were footrests on NWA 757's for several years post merger, even after they did some basic refurbs of new blue seat covers.
There were footrests on the DC10 30/40's in WBC

RC
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:19 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Not sure how this popped up for me but I miss lower fares, competition and the people of Northwest plus having more hubs and choices.

Yes, Delta has fancier clubs and cleaner planes but the cost of that has been pretty steep.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Not sure how this popped up for me but I miss lower fares, competition and the people of Northwest plus having more hubs and choices.

Yes, Delta has fancier clubs and cleaner planes but the cost of that has been pretty steep.
Hard to argue you used to have "more hubs and choices" when the only real loss has been MEM from NW and CVG from DL but in return we've gained SEA and to a lesser extent RDU.
indufan and Yellowjj like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hard to argue you used to have "more hubs and choices" when the only real loss has been MEM from NW and CVG from DL but in return we've gained SEA and to a lesser extent RDU.
There are other loses beside two hubs. There is also a drop in frequency of service to some airports that followed from the government allowing this combination; and some flight schedule choices are way worse now because of this combination than they used to be. And then there is all the damage that has been done to the FFP world because of all these governmental waivers and favors allowing such concentration in the marketplace.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I miss plentiful awards at uninflated costs. I recall after the merger was announced I blew through over 1 million miles in the next year. My aging memory recalls 90k RT Biz flights to Asia, and 40k RT flights to South America.

I have a bit over 80k DL miles left now, and keep looking to use them sometime. I checked for coach flights, one way from Asia recently and only saw awards for 150k. AA had flights for 37.5k.
GUWonder and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
plus having more hubs and choices.
Care to try and explain the math on that?

the cost of that has been pretty steep.
Has it really?
CMK10 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 1MM; AA
NW was great in terms of aviation and operations such as the peerless service in Asia. And I loved the final version of the logo and design. But customer service was abysmal. There are many exceptions, fo course, but even after ten years rude and unhelpful personnel dominate my memories. Service on DL is far superior.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlefox2
NW was great in terms of aviation and operations such as the peerless service in Asia. And I loved the final version of the logo and design. But customer service was abysmal. There are many exceptions, fo course, but even after ten years rude and unhelpful personnel dominate my memories. Service on DL is far superior.
I usually thought NWA customer service was pretty good. I tend to compare it to dating. I’d rather date an average looking woman, who has a great personality, and is pleasant, than one dressed to the nines, but is very high maintenance, and unpleasant. I’ll take dependable every day.
jiburi likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I’ll take dependable every day.
Delta set unprecedented records on dependability in the last decade.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Airtran Elite, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle, SPG PLAT; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I'll bite.

Things I miss:
-Lower fares due to more competition
-Being able to fly into FNT (I think the flights from Atlanta still exist but that would be a crazy connection even by my standards)
-My 100% upgrade success rate as Gold Elite (ironically I missed one upgrade as Platinum the following year)
-The many, many bonus miles opportunities (25,000 bonus miles to Shanghai!)
-The Memphis hub - RIP (I can't remember the name of it but they had a BBQ place that I loved)
-WorldClubs membership options - why didn't I buy the lifetime membership when I had the chance?!?
-Continental partnership

Changes I've been happy about:
-In-flight entertainment on domestic flights
-Much better operational reliability
-Delta One soft product is a step above World Business Class
-A counter to my point above, free SkyClub membership with Diamond status
-Network is better overall

But even though I listed more cons than pros, I think the merger overall has been a positive change for me as a traveler.

Flame away.

Delta Left FNT several years ago - they are a big Allegiant focus city now with like one each flight on american and united to chicago per day..... SAD I used to always enjoy mainline northwest from FNT in my real heavy travel days of yesteryear. I fly out of GRR now that I live over here
Old Feb 22, 2023, 3:27 pm

NW used to have very cheap flights from LSE to MSP to everywhere. Even at the last minute. I remember pricing NW at $99 vs DL at $399 next day one way to ATL.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Somehow, despite me flying 76.4% of my lifetime miles after the merger date, Northwest remains my 9th most flown airline. My first ever international flight was on NW: DTW-LGW on a MD-10.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by indufan
Delta set unprecedented records on dependability in the last decade.
Not dependably having awards available at low mileage levels. They don’t call them Skypesos for nothin!
hnewman likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Not dependably having awards available at low mileage levels. They don’t call them Skypesos for nothin!
I know there have been increases in certain areas but at that time Delta (and as far as I know NW) had 25,000 miles as a minimum for any award ticket and there are a lot of them out there for way fewer than that these days. The lowest I have seen without looking very hard is 7,600, with the 15% AMEX discount.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I know there have been increases in certain areas but at that time Delta (and as far as I know NW) had 25,000 miles as a minimum for any award ticket and there are a lot of them out there for way fewer than that these days. The lowest I have seen without looking very hard is 7,600, with the 15% AMEX discount.
I’ve booked several at 4,500 one way main cabin and that was before the 15% discount was implemented.
indufan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.