Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to phrase a request about a flight change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Delta GM

Despite a lot of flying, I've never had to call and request a change because the airline changed my flights so that my connecting flight departs about three hours before my first flight arrives. Is there a specific way to request help with this from Delta?

I'm flying SFO - BNA in March with a connection at LAX. Originally, the first flight departed SFO at 1pm. The second flight departed LAX at 5:40 pm. Now the first flight departs SFO at 12:26 pm while the LAX flight they've booked me into departs LAX at 10am. There is more than one flight with wide open seating in First (yes, I booked into First) that departs LAX after my now SFO flight arrives, so I'm not sure why they didn't switch me to one of those options.

I shouldn't have to pay anything additional to be switched to a flight that works, right?

Having said that, I could really use the help of a few specific phrases - like a script of sorts - to use when calling to explain my situation to request help. I'll spare you the long story, but I have issues conversing over the phone. Any help with key phrases or specific points to say would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:23 pm

Since you already know what you want and that it’s available, it’ll be a simple conversation.

I’ve been affected by a schedule change that requires rebooking. Please rebook me on DL#.
There won’t be an additional cost since the change is involuntary.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
Since you already know what you want and that it’s available, it’ll be a simple conversation.
I know it's simple for most people. There are no simple phone conversations for me. That's why I'm asking. But I do appreciate your response. Thank you!! :-)
eastindywalrus and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
I know it's simple for most people. There are no simple phone conversations for me. That's why I'm asking. But I do appreciate your response. Thank you!! :-)
If you’re more comfortable typing, you could also use Twitter to send a direct message to @Delta. Just include your confirmation number and the flight you want to change to with the request.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets

If you’re more comfortable typing, you could also use Twitter to send a direct message to @Delta. Just include your confirmation number and the flight you want to change to with the request.

Thanks! I've had 50/50 luck with Twitter. They used to be GREAT. Now they're...well, it depends on the time of day sometimes....
bgriff likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... a few specific phrases - like a script of sorts - to use when calling to explain my situation to request help. ...
Start with something like this:

”Good <morning/afternoon/ evening>, this is Aquamarinesteph ... I’m calling about my trip from SFO to BNA on <date>; record locator is <X1Y2Z3>“

< agent will find the reservation and ask how he/she can help >

“You can see that a schedule change gave me an impossible connection ... The flights I would like are DL xxxx SFO-XXX at hh mm <am/pm> connecting to DL yyyy XXX-BNA at hh mm <am/pm>“

Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

Start with something like this:

”Good <morning/afternoon/ evening>, this is Aquamarinesteph ... I’m calling about my trip from SFO to BNA on <date>; record locator is <X1Y2Z3>“

< agent will find the reservation and ask how he/she can help >

“You can see that a schedule change gave me an impossible connection ... The flights I would like are DL xxxx SFO-XXX at hh mm <am/pm> connecting to DL yyyy XXX-BNA at hh mm <am/pm>“

Thank you! I'm usually good if I can practice a call ahead of times. :-)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:32 am

I have had this happen to me several times. You will find the agents to be (99.9%) very helpful. You will be best off if you study all of the flight options ahead of time and decide which 1-2 you want rather than have the agent try to do it on the spot. Simply ask for the option you prefer and if it is reasonable and space is available they will make the change at no charge.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Thank you! I'm usually good if I can practice a call ahead of times. :-)
Mod Hat Off

You shouldn't have any anxiety over this. The degree of schedule change allows you to cancel the ticket with a full return to original form of payment, be it paid or award. Delta wants to keep your money. If they have inventory for sale on their own Delta or Delta Connection flights they will happily change you.

jrl767 gives a very concise script.
ijgordon and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Despite a lot of flying, I've never had to call and request a change because the airline changed my flights so that my connecting flight departs about three hours before my first flight arrives. Is there a specific way to request help with this from Delta?

I'm flying SFO - BNA in March with a connection at LAX. Originally, the first flight departed SFO at 1pm. The second flight departed LAX at 5:40 pm. Now the first flight departs SFO at 12:26 pm while the LAX flight they've booked me into departs LAX at 10am. There is more than one flight with wide open seating in First (yes, I booked into First) that departs LAX after my now SFO flight arrives, so I'm not sure why they didn't switch me to one of those options.

I shouldn't have to pay anything additional to be switched to a flight that works, right?

Having said that, I could really use the help of a few specific phrases - like a script of sorts - to use when calling to explain my situation to request help. I'll spare you the long story, but I have issues conversing over the phone. Any help with key phrases or specific points to say would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Is this a single ticket/PNR?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM
Also, you should be able to do this online at Delta.com
It should already be flagged as a change you must approve.
Just ignore the 37 warnings telling you that you may have to pay extra, you won't.

OR

As Widgets said, this is the entire conversation, "I’ve been affected by a schedule change that requires rebooking. Please rebook me on DL#."
Weekend Away likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: DL
Once you get booked onto the new flight(s), ask whether you can have the same seat, or another open one you've scoped online. I always ask when I should expect to see the changes on the app/online, so I can double check the new itinerary.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by wxman22
Also, you should be able to do this online at Delta.com
It should already be flagged as a change you must approve.
Even if flagged as a change for approval - it definitely cannot be done online.

Since the recent website aesthetic changes, I've found the online system has become even more limited - it used to be able to process standard award cancellations, but it can't even do that anymore.

With schedule changes - whether you are requesting a free rebooking or a refund, if eligible - you must call. The agent must put text in there listing the schedule change allowing the free rebooking or refund (they specifically have to reference the flight with the schedule change, or "SKD CHG" as they notate it in your reservation).
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
As a fellow phone-a-phobe, I'd highly recommend trying on twitter. You're right that they've been hit or miss, but if you basically type the exact script folks are giving you into a DM, I give you an 80% of getting it resolved.

If it doesn't work, you can always call in afterward.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

I have to say a huge thank you to all of you! :-)

I managed to change the flights (all one PNR) via Twitter. They really came through on this one for me, so I'm very pleased. (Same seats even!!)

But again, thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I know many people have no phone issues. I do. And that's why I had to ask. And now I have a script for next time. So thank you all again!!! :-)
btonkid12345, pvn and TheHorta like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.