Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Howste
I used to laugh at that, but over the years I've realized that it's best for those who aren't used to driving in snow to not drive in snow. Also, in places where there's no snow removal equipment it can be pretty hazardous.

In the early '90s I lived in Kentucky when they got slammed with 13 or so inches of snow. The governor declared a state of emergency and shut down the Interstate Highways for a week. Most people didn't make it in to work, but I lived only about 5 miles away and drove on back roads to get there. A lot of the roads there probably started as winding cow paths that got paved, so I can't even imagine a school bus full of kids trying to navigate them in snow.

I was visiting Raleigh, NC during their "Snowmageddon" of 2014. The entire city was in gridlock with people trying to get home in the storm. Cars and trucks were sliding all over the road trying to get up minor inclines because they were flooring it instead of backing off. It was literally faster to walk home than it was to drive and there were abandoned cars on the streets for several days. They probably should have just stayed home that day, knowing what was in the forecast.
I agree that people who don't know how to drive in the snow should stay home! It's much safer that way.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:37 am

Morning, Lounge!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
MAEN!

Happy Thorsday eve.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
or, in launch-speak, T-11:35
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
or, in launch-speak, T-11:35
Yes, but my lunch time is actually 11:30, not 11:35.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:00 am

MAEN!

Happy Thorsday eve.
Happy Thorsday eve!!!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Yes, but my lunch time is actually 11:30, not 11:35.
if the launch site was at UTTR you could eat lunch whenever you wanted to because of all the sandwiches there
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:52 am

if the launch site was at UTTR you could eat lunch whenever you wanted to because of all the sandwiches there
sigh
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kipper
sigh
damn, thought I had a shot at the first "Groan!" of the year
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It feels like it's been quite a while.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:49 pm

That's a myth. Sure there's a lot of sand at UTTR, but the witches are in SLC.

Since the groans don't seem to be flowing this year I decide to go for a crone.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Class started yesterday, and I already got my best excuse of the term:

"Good afternoon, I apologize for missing class today. I wanted to inform you that I will not be able to attend class at all this week as I am stuck outside of the country because my original flight got canceled and I could not find another one earlier than January 12th. Looking forward to attending class next week!"

This was my response:

"No excuses are necessary, that said, I travel frequently and I know that your claim about flights isn't true. There is no airline/codeshare that fits the description you provide. Attendance is mandatory, but not directly graded, and, as such, you don't need to provide an excuse "another one earlier than January 12th" is either an exaggeration or a lie, please keep that in mind, and let this be a lesson.

Now, if you provide the information about your original flight: Airline, Date, and flight number, I may be able to suggest what your other alternatives are."

Any bets on what is going to happen?
I'm about 40% I get the flight information
10% Nothing happens
50% the student drops
BenA, Howste and JoelThomas like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Wimsta
Class started yesterday, and I already got my best excuse of the term:

"Good afternoon, I apologize for missing class today. I wanted to inform you that I will not be able to attend class at all this week as I am stuck outside of the country because my original flight got canceled and I could not find another one earlier than January 12th. Looking forward to attending class next week!"

This was my response:

"No excuses are necessary, that said, I travel frequently and I know that your claim about flights isn't true. There is no airline/codeshare that fits the description you provide. Attendance is mandatory, but not directly graded, and, as such, you don't need to provide an excuse "another one earlier than January 12th" is either an exaggeration or a lie, please keep that in mind, and let this be a lesson.

Now, if you provide the information about your original flight: Airline, Date, and flight number, I may be able to suggest what your other alternatives are."

Any bets on what is going to happen?
I'm about 40% I get the flight information
10% Nothing happens
50% the student drops
Possible the student is lying and really just enjoying an extended vacation that they booked that way (through the actual first week of class) but, unless they gave you other details already you didn't post, some airlines like Allegiant or Spirit won't interline and yet only fly to places very infrequently (maybe only a couple times weekly), so if the flight cancels and depending on where they are (they did say international) it could be a while before one is able get rebooked and out of there (especially if the limited alternate flights are already full). Of course they're likely somewhere where they could also go buy a ticket on another airline but that may be really expensive.

Not saying your student isn't a liar, but I am saying it's not out of the realm of possibility either, though my own counter-point to my own point is be responsible and not plan to come back from an international trip right before the term starts - plan to come back early enough to allow a buffer, so either way, I admittedly can't say I feel too sorry for the student especially coming off a longer break where one could easily plan to allow for a reasonable buffer in between the return from vacation and the start of the term.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
It feels like it's been quite a while.
Girls just want to have puns?
Zorak likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it WAS a pun~~~the first line of the linked Wikipedia entry for the Utah Test & Training Range says "located in Utah's West Desert"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.