Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
How could we have forgotten that it's the day after Hump Day. I miss my camel.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: In 2023? Does it matter? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Ham I am, Spam I am.

A ham by any other name would be Spam.

[There really is a Spam museum, but I'm sure it's snow covered today--chocolate covered would be better.]

ADDED: BTW, many congrats on your boat purchase.
Thanks MSP...tho perhaps check with me in a year. I may have wished for an emu instead of a fiscal sinkhole

I do admire everyone's pun skills. I suck at thinking of them (I was so proud of my hamgry comment) but some of these are so clever!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by navi_jen
Thanks MSP...tho perhaps check with me in a year. I may have wished for an emu instead of a fiscal sinkhole
along the lines of the old airline industry joke, isn't the best way to become a millionaire if you own a boat to start with two million?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I do admire everyone's pun skills. I suck at thinking of them (I was so proud of my hamgry comment) but some of these are so clever!
Hamgry was good some people don't catch every reference
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
nope

it’s a really weird situation that I didn’t try to dissect — 1106 departure, scheduled as a 321 but downgauged to a 320; the 0800 flight is delayed until 1210 (inbound jet diverted to IAD last night, and is now ferrying over to DCA), so they’ve evidently reaccommodated all those pax on other flights ... which allowed the GAs to move enough people off this jet to the delayed one and clear the volunteer list
Hey, we were on that “diversion”! Crazy situation. There were four flights ATL-DC area last night: a 7:45, 9, and 10 to DCA, and a 9 to iad.

We were inbound on the last segment of a very long international itinerary (DPS-ICN-ATL-DCA, then a positioning IAD-SEA to get home.). Originally we were on the 9pm to DCA. Then we switched to the 9pm to iad because it was more convenient for our hotel using the weather waiver. Then that flight was delayed 3 hours, so we switched back to the 7:45 DCA (because at that point we’d breezed through immigration with time to spare.)

Then our new flight got delayed about 45 minutes, and then a mad rush to board it ASAP started because noise restrictions prevent flying a 321 into DCA after x o’clock. (Apparently 319/320s are fine - only the 321 is affected.). Turns out you actually can board a full 321 in 20 minutes if people are motivated enough.

We “pushed” with one minute to spare, and then a ground stop in ATL killed the whole plan. So the crew and ops made the decision to divert the plane to IAD before we even left ATL. We got in at 11pm. For us, it was a real win; we ended up at the airport we wanted, right around our originally scheduled arrival time, and even with upgrades. But others weren’t so lucky. DL did provide bus service, which was nice... but many people who only wanted to end up at DCA got off the plane and ended up on one of the other flights because they didn’t announce the bus until arrival at IAD.

Getting off turned out to be a very, very bad plan for those folks, because the other three flights last night ended up delayed by crazy amounts:

9pm to IAD - arrived 1:57 AM +1 (3h delay)
9pm to DCA - arrived 10:24 AM +1 (11.5 hr delay)
10pm to DCA - arrived 4:20 AM +1 (4.5 hr delay)

Id say we made our pretty well, compared to the 11 hour delay our original flight took. We ended up on the only flight that allowed us any sleep...

tl;dr DCA has crazy noise restrictions. In an irops situation, flights to IAD are a smarter bet.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:12 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
How could we have forgotten that it's the day after Hump Day. I miss my camel.
Here's your camel...

LOL,I don't know. Emus can be vicious.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No, emus are nice or at least the ones that are in the Australian zoo "walk through" exhibits are. Maybe more importantly, they taste good if the meat isn't overcooked. [Emu breast on a buffet can be dry and tough.]
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
No, emus are nice or at least the ones that are in the Australian zoo "walk through" exhibits are. Maybe more importantly, they taste good if the meat isn't overcooked. [Emu breast on a buffet can be dry and tough.]
Maybe I should try it again, then, as just a carefully cooked piece of meat. I had it as part of a “coat of arms” pizza in Australia and it was really tough. (The kangaroo meat, on the other hand, was delicious.)
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by BenA

Maybe I should try it again, then, as just a carefully cooked piece of meat. I had it as part of a “coat of arms” pizza in Australia and it was really tough. (The kangaroo meat, on the other hand, was delicious.)
Overcooked roo is also bad, and also not a good buffet choice. It can be strong, dry, and tough. When it's done right, it reminds one of beef but with a much softer texture.

Did you have ostrich in Australia too?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:30 pm

Those may be trained or drugged.

https://www.britannica.com/list/6-of...angerous-birds

Reports of emu attacks resulting in a range of injuries in Australia and in wild-animal parks, emu farms, and zoos across the world are not uncommon, with more than 100 occurring in 2009 alone.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:27 pm

I think they were hand raised, so that they had contact with (kind) humans from a young age.

Didn't you try to make friends with your emu in the wild? It was probably hungry and thirsty. You could have shared some craft beer with it.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 4:42 pm

I think they were hand raised, so that they had contact with (kind) humans from a young age.

Didn't you try to make friends with your emu in the wild? It was probably hungry and thirsty. You could have shared some craft beer with it.
LOL, the emu seemed to like Mr. Kipper.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
LOL, the emu seemed to like Mr. Kipper.
Is some beer missing from your household? Maybe that's why the emu liked Mr Kipper.....or maybe the emu realized that Mr Kipper was the key to getting lot of publicity in the local media.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:17 pm

Is some beer missing from your household? Maybe that's why the emu liked Mr Kipper.....or maybe the emu realized that Mr Kipper was the key to getting lot of publicity in the local media.
LOL, no beer missing.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:19 pm

Then you must be living with an emu whisperer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.