Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:20 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Hope the rest of you have a less eventful weekend
Mine started with mimosas and brunch, and now I've moved on to beer...

Congrats on grad school!
SuperG1955 and GW McLintock like this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I scheduled our 3rd dose of Pfizer today. It's strange to be OK with being in a compromised or compromising position.

I now feel comfortable with doing our trip to Spain.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Mine started with mimosas and brunch, and now I've moved on to beer...

Congrats on grad school!
lol. I think the line is “I’m switching to beer”

I’m watching 6 kids play Marco Polo and scream in the pool. I’m sure my neighbors are psyched. Could be worse, could be better, but I’m thinking about upgrading from beer to something stronger…
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I scheduled our 3rd dose of Pfizer today.
interesting. So this is a thing now? I’m surprised you need an appointment. Is that something specific to 3rd doses?
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by El Boocho
interesting. So this is a thing now? I’m surprised you need an appointment. Is that something specific to 3rd doses?
A friend posted on FB about getting a 3rd dose by walking in to Walgreens (they are immunocompromised FWIW)
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Zorak
A friend posted on FB about getting a 3rd dose by walking in to Walgreens (they are immunocompromised FWIW)
CVS seems to make appointments. I didn't check to see if walk ins are accepted but this way we could make time to do it together. While I'd prefer that we weren't, we're both immunocompromised.

I don't think it's a 'thing now'. A combination of being immunocompromised, age, and length of time since 2nd shot (over 7 months) indicates that our antibody levels have dropped considerably and the risks of disease contraction have risen. Unfortunately, there's no way for us to tell what level our antibodies are at.

NOTE, from the FDA website:

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reminding the public and health care providers that results from currently authorized SARS-CoV-2 antibody tests should not be used to evaluate a person’s level of immunity or protection from COVID-19 at any time, and especially after the person received a COVID-19 vaccination.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 6:56 pm

Coincidentally a different friend just posted also about their third dose. They included a picture of an attestation form that was required (also Walgreens), listing a number of conditions that qualify.
El Boocho likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:28 pm

CVS seems to make appointments. I didn't check to see if walk ins are accepted but this way we could make time to do it together. While I'd prefer that we weren't, we're both immunocompromised.

I don't think it's a 'thing now'. A combination of being immunocompromised, age, and length of time since 2nd shot (over 7 months) indicates that our antibody levels have dropped considerably and the risks of disease contraction have risen. Unfortunately, there's no way for us to tell what level our antibodies are at.

NOTE, from the FDA website:
didn’t mean anything derogatory by “thing now.” Just that I know it has been talked about, but didn’t know it was approved or something that was happening in the real world. I too have a close friend who is immunocompromised, and even after his second shot he had no antibodies. His doctors are hopeful that the third will be a booster and kick things into gear.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Well! I have a great day today. I went to the movie. I watch Free Guy. I took a Lyft to Harkins Theatres.

PS. Tomorrow it’s my birthday. I am 43 years old. Goodnight to Delta Lounge. See you in the morning.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Well! I have a great day today. I went to the movie. I watch Free Guy. I took a Lyft to Harkins Theatres.

PS. Tomorrow it’s my birthday. I am 43 years old. Goodnight to Delta Lounge. See you in the morning.
Happy, Happy Birthday

And many, many more to enjoy.
N830MH likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:49 am

didn’t mean anything derogatory by “thing now.” Just that I know it has been talked about, but didn’t know it was approved or something that was happening in the real world. I too have a close friend who is immunocompromised, and even after his second shot he had no antibodies. His doctors are hopeful that the third will be a booster and kick things into gear.
I didn't take your post as derogatory. We were following the situation closely because of our need, just as I'm sure your friend has been.

It was approved on Friday for the immunocompromised. One of the key reasons was the situation that your friend is in. Some studies showed that the 3rd dose succeeded in providing immunity to many in his situation. Oher studies showed that the efficacy dropped severely for the elderly after 6 months had elapsed from their 2nd dose, which is also our situation. Note: these studies are for the MRNA vaccines.

We considered doing what over 1MM of the 'entitled' have evidently done and get a 3rd dose as soon as we could do it, whether or not is was approved. It's very easy to do but I won't explain that here. We chose to wait and then the FDA approved this on Thursday, the CDC followed with approval on Friday and on Saturday, CVS's web site accepted appointments specifically for the 3rd shot and we made appointments instead of having to take a chance on walk-in availability, especially with the Pfizer vaccine. Had we been in New Orleans, we'd have gone to the hospital where we got our original shots.

Since the need is specified on the honor system, no Rx needed, it'll certainly be abused.

I'm glad that they left room on the CDC Card for a couple of additional doses.

Hope you friend has a good outcome of improved antibody levels.
El Boocho and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Happy birthday N830MH!

Happy Sunday to everyone else.

-J.
El Boocho, N830MH and SuperG1955 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I'd like to thank both of you for making these lifestyle sacrifices for the well being of our country,
At least yesterday's biking wine tour counted as PT, and I'm not even joking about it like we do about playing golf. I run 30-40 miles a week, but biking works a whole different set of muscles that I don't use regularly. The trail or bike route infrastructure here is fantastic, so I've enjoyed exploring as well as running to/from work a few times. For true sacrifices, I have to spend a week in NAP at the end of the month.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium

Happy SunDAY from ATL. At least being on the SkyDeck here is helping distract from what has otherwise been a very sad and maddening day (if you’ve been following the news out of Afghanistan).

SuperG1955 - Without dragging the lounge too far down a rabbit hole that’s more appropriate for OMNI/PR, I have to wonder if the feelings I feel today are at all similar to any feelings you may have had watching media footage out of Saigon in 1975.
renila and N830MH like this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 15, 2021 at 12:06 pm
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
At least yesterday's biking wine tour counted as PT, and I'm not even joking about it like we do about playing golf. I run 30-40 miles a week, but biking works a whole different set of muscles that I don't use regularly. The trail or bike route infrastructure here is fantastic, so I've enjoyed exploring as well as running to/from work a few times. For true sacrifices, I have to spend a week in NAP at the end of the month.
Then you'll have to spend a week oh the stationary bike to work off the food you ate in NAP.
Ifyou start to get a lot of trips like this, just tell Mrs. mattP that you're scouting vacation spots.

I had an Aunt who travelled extensively in pre-Schengen days and I was looking through her passports not too long ago. I have a feeling that your travels in Europe might get to rival hers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.