FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021
Old Aug 15, 2021, 6:49 am
SuperG1955

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by El Boocho
didn’t mean anything derogatory by “thing now.” Just that I know it has been talked about, but didn’t know it was approved or something that was happening in the real world. I too have a close friend who is immunocompromised, and even after his second shot he had no antibodies. His doctors are hopeful that the third will be a booster and kick things into gear.
I didn't take your post as derogatory. We were following the situation closely because of our need, just as I'm sure your friend has been.

It was approved on Friday for the immunocompromised. One of the key reasons was the situation that your friend is in. Some studies showed that the 3rd dose succeeded in providing immunity to many in his situation. Oher studies showed that the efficacy dropped severely for the elderly after 6 months had elapsed from their 2nd dose, which is also our situation. Note: these studies are for the MRNA vaccines.

We considered doing what over 1MM of the 'entitled' have evidently done and get a 3rd dose as soon as we could do it, whether or not is was approved. It's very easy to do but I won't explain that here. We chose to wait and then the FDA approved this on Thursday, the CDC followed with approval on Friday and on Saturday, CVS's web site accepted appointments specifically for the 3rd shot and we made appointments instead of having to take a chance on walk-in availability, especially with the Pfizer vaccine. Had we been in New Orleans, we'd have gone to the hospital where we got our original shots.

Since the need is specified on the honor system, no Rx needed, it'll certainly be abused.

I'm glad that they left room on the CDC Card for a couple of additional doses.

Hope you friend has a good outcome of improved antibody levels.