Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Still Welcome! 2018-2021

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Happy Wednesday to everyone except the Reds fans in the Lounge.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Hootie blew over in the wind last night and this morning I found my two "friends" hanging out on the railing. ...
I have a feeling these are the parents. Regardless of who they are, my balcony is now a mess. The pigeons have exacted their revenge.
ah, the joys of urban high-rise life

of course the joys of urban single-family-home life include the dog spending an inordinate amount of time sniffing around a spot outside his more-or-less-normal exploration paths in the back yard ... when I checked on him, I saw a very small curled-up furry creature (I wasn't overly worried since we've dealt with a few instances of moles over the years , but when I tossed a couple pebbles at it anyway to see if it was alive, it uncurled enough to reveal that it wasn't exactly "very small" -- and also that it wasn't a mole) ... the yard cleanup guys had just arrived, and I didn't want them to use a flexible rake or a leaf blower to deal with it ... or, worse, step on it accidentally without killing or injuring it, and causing who-know-what sort of chaotic reaction ...
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by jrl767
ah, the joys of urban high-rise life

of course the joys of urban single-family-home life include the dog spending an inordinate amount of time sniffing around a spot outside his more-or-less-normal exploration paths in the back yard ... when I checked on him, I saw a very small curled-up furry creature (I wasn't overly worried since we've dealt with a few instances of moles over the years , but when I tossed a couple pebbles at it anyway to see if it was alive, it uncurled enough to reveal that it wasn't exactly "very small" -- and also that it wasn't a mole) ... the yard cleanup guys had just arrived, and I didn't want them to use a flexible rake or a leaf blower to deal with it ... or, worse, step on it accidentally without killing or injuring it, and causing who-know-what sort of chaotic reaction ...
What was it?

I took the pups out earlier this morning, and Grace saw a squirrel in the yard. My shoulder still hurts from her attempts to chase the squirrel.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by El Boocho
Colin Quinn has a fantastic, and I mean really great one man standup about New York. I think it’s called New York Story. If you haven’t seen it check it out on Netflix. Here’s a bit of the monologue:
“All those names are Dutch names. “Bronx” is a Dutch word. “Harlem,” Dutch word. “Bushwick,” Dutch word. “Brooklyn” is a Dutch word. “Stoop,” Dutch word. “Yankees” is a Dutch word. The word “fu*k” is a Dutch word. I swear to God. So if you see anyone on a stoop in Brooklyn going, “Fu*king Yankees,” they’re speaking Dutch. So. Now, you know… You know, it’s true. It’s true as anything. Right?”
Unimportant trivia. .Something I learned in elementary school - Jacob Bronck had what I believe was the first and largest farm in the area north of the Harlem River (which isn't a river but is an estuary). The area was referred to as "the Bronc's" and that was the name given to the area. The anglicized spelling derived from the pronunciation. There's another version that deals with the the Bronx River which bisects the borough being called Bronck's River and when NYC got the land from Westchester County, it was named The Bronx (again phonetics).
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Happy Wednesday to everyone except the Reds fans in the Lounge.
I’m just happy the Reds won’t be no-hit today, since they’ve had that happen to them in the playoffs.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
ooooooh Buddy has fun with squirrels (he's come ridiculously close to catching several; the funniest episode was when he had a ~6''-diameter hard rubber tire in his mouth while chasing after one, and actually made contact with it)

this wasn't a squirrel ... as far as alerting the yard guys, I didn't remember "Watch out for" from high-school Spanish, but I knew that "Cuídanse" means "Take care of" ... and regardless, I'm sure they would have understood "ratón"
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hhdl
Ironically, "yankee" was the New Amsterdam epithet for the Calvinist English to their north. "Jan Kaas", or "John Cheese" (perhaps a fawlty theory, of course).

Semi-jokingly:
Outside America, a Yankee is anyone from the US
In the US, it's a northerner
In the north, it's a New Englander
In New England, it's a Vermonter
In Vermont, it's someone who eats apple pie for breakfast

(Realistically, in New England it basically means a Congregationalist, Unitarian, or maybe low-church Episcopalian (especially if their family became such in the run-up to 1860) most of whose ancestors were in New England prior to roughly 1700)
Reminds me of the exchange in “Days of Thunder” when Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise) is about to show up for the test drive.

- Harry, where's your driver from?
- Eagle Rock.
- Is that up around Wilkesboro?
- No. Glendale, California.
- He's a Yankee?
- Californians aren't Yankees. They're not really anything.
- You said it.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:52 am

ooooooh Buddy has fun with squirrels (he's come ridiculously close to catching several; the funniest episode was when he had a ~6''-diameter hard rubber tire in his mouth while chasing after one, and actually made contact with it)

this wasn't a squirrel ... as far as alerting the yard guys, I didn't remember "Watch out for" from high-school Spanish, but I knew that "Cuídanse" means "Take care of" ... and regardless, I'm sure they would have understood "ratón"
Grace was definitely interested in seeing how close she could get to the squirrel.

Yuck!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I’m just happy the Reds won’t be no-hit today, since they’ve had that happen to them in the playoffs.
After those first two singles to start the game I was having flashbacks of the 10-run first inning against the Cardinals last year. We have quite a pitchers' duel going.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I don't know Spanish other than a few food words, which this isn't (we hope). Rat or rattlesnake? Furry suggests rat (but don't they have short fur, so not really furry?), but a snake could have something furry in its mouth.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know Spanish other than a few food words, which this isn't (we hope). Rat or rattlesnake? Furry suggests rat (but don't they have short fur, so not really furry?), but a snake could have something furry in its mouth.
no rattlers west of the mountains in WA

Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I picked up a bottle of dry apple cider (not as dry as the last time) at the farmer's market on Sunday. Looking forward to opening it tomorrow night (or possibly tonight).

Tonight I will put a bottle of Diet Coke in the fridge and a bottle of Brugal in the freezer. Friday is quickly approaching!

-J.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Early this morning a car hit and killed a cougar at an intersection (cloverleaf) of two interstates where typically drive once or twice a week, about fifteen minutes from downtown Minneapolis (and closer than that to MSP airport). DNR officials are saying that the animal probably came from the Dakotas as during the last couple decades, there's been less than one cougar sighting per year on average for the entire state. So be careful about where you think animals aren't present. Moreover, maybe your neighbors keep pet snakes and one escaped, etc.

IIRC there was an emu in kipper's neighborhood not long ago. I wonder whether Grace would have tried to chase it. BTW, I hope the squirrel appreciates your sacrifice to save it from her.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Early this morning a car hit and killed a cougar at an intersection (cloverleaf) of two interstates where typically drive once or twice a week, about fifteen minutes from downtown Minneapolis (and closer than that to MSP airport). DNR officials are saying that the animal probably came from the Dakotas as during the last couple decades, there's been less than one cougar sighting per year on average for the entire state. So be careful about where you think animals aren't present. Moreover, maybe your neighbors keep pet snakes and one escaped, etc.

IIRC there was an emu in kipper's neighborhood not long ago. I wonder whether Grace would have tried to chase it. BTW, I hope the squirrel appreciates your sacrifice to save it from her.
There was an emu in the neighborhood a while ago. Grace probably would've barked at it.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 5:47 pm

How sweet, to protect you from (the) big bird, which would have been much bigger than her. [I've seen emu and ostriches in walk through areas without fences at zoos and these animals can be intimidating when you're looking up into their eyes.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.