Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

meal Delta 27 / ATL - ICN 12:49 AM departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Patience please - I don't quite understand the definitive meal threadIf my flight departs at 12:49 am, what meals will be served? I am assuming not a dinner at 1:30 am! thanks
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
If you click on your trips you will see something like:

Meal Services: Dinner, Lunch, Premium Snacks, Drinks
or

Meal Services: Dinner, Breakfast, Premium Snacks, Drinks

for your flights
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I do see that but was thinking they are not really going to serve a dinner at 1:30 in the morning! I was hoping for some info from a person who had taken the flight. Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I'm heading to Incheon from ATL in mid-October. For that post midnight departure, it says:

Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Drinks, Premium Snacks

Do the Delta in-flight meal scheduling idiots really think people are going to eat dinner at 1:30 in the morning?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

DL Don - if no one else gives an "in person" report, please post when you get back. I will be in the semi-cattle class - premium select? I'm thinking you will be upfront but maybe you can still get an idea of the meal timings. Thanks
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
They will serve dinner. My suggestion is to eat at a nice restaurant if you have time before your flight. Skip the very underwhelming D1 meal and get some sleep.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
That meal at 1:30am ATL time will be at lunch time in Korea. It’s one way to start changing your body clock right away.
MSPeconomist, sky303 and BenA like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I'm heading to Incheon from ATL in mid-October. For that post midnight departure, it says:

Do the Delta in-flight meal scheduling idiots really think people are going to eat dinner at 1:30 in the morning?
Not just the DL "idiots" but the "idiots" at many other carriers around the world.

It's a good idea to start getting your body used to its destination schedule. Lunch & dinner are roughly the same meal, but somebody else who thinks they understand what works best would then criticize DL for calling it "lunch" at 01:30.

Many will, of course, skip the meal and sleep, but those who eat will eat the dinner.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Nothing to do with body clock. The only reason why they give you the biggest meal shortly into the flight is so that you are well fed and quiet for (most of) the rest of the flight.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
In my experience, D1 meals have been okay to not-so-great. I ordered the Korean Meal on this flight. Has anyone tried it? While I don’t expect it to be as good as the Japanese meal, it seems like it should be better than the regular D1 options.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
I just flew this route and you do get a full dinner. There is also a mid flight meal a snack and a breakfast. It’s such a long flight that you don’t have to worry about finding time to sleep or having enough to eat.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
In my experience, D1 meals have been okay to not-so-great. I ordered the Korean Meal on this flight. Has anyone tried it? While I don’t expect it to be as good as the Japanese meal, it seems like it should be better than the regular D1 options.
I had the Korean meal and it was from a local Atlanta restaurant and was quite good. Short ribs and some fish soup.

Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by suec1
DL Don - if no one else gives an "in person" report, please post when you get back. I will be in the semi-cattle class - premium select? I'm thinking you will be upfront but maybe you can still get an idea of the meal timings. Thanks
DL always serves the main meal right after takeoff. In fact just about all airlines do. Not sure why you can't believe a common practice across airlines. Plenty of passengers will be connecting and have been up for 4+ hours with no meal.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DL-Don

This is hardly abnormal. In fact in many ways I find it helps me begin adjusting my body clock to the new time zone on the westbound redeyes, at least if in J. Flights to Australia from the West Coast usually leave late (around midnight). On flights to Australia, dinner is served after takeoff, which from the time it’s actually served until you finish is about 2-3 hours into the flight, forcing me to stay up and fall asleep as close as possible to a more normal “bedtime hour” at the destination Sometime after dinner and dessert, then head to sleep for about 7-8 hours. Not long after waking up, breakfast is served and then you’re landing at a normal morning hour at the destination. This is how it went for me when I flew LAX-BNE on VA and I had very little jet lag at all upon arrival (less than I feel going eastbound in the US and trying to adjust my body clock to the earlier wake up call).

As another example on that same trip I flew AKL-SIN on NZ, which departed AKL at 1AM and arrived at SIN around 6 AM. Dinner was served after takeoff from AKL on that flight.
MSPeconomist and BenA like this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't forget that there's always the option to skip meal or to request that it be served to you all at once, on one tray, so that you can eat more quickly and gon to sleep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.