FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   meal Delta 27 / ATL - ICN 12:49 AM departure (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1932652-meal-delta-27-atl-icn-12-49-am-departure.html)

suec1 Sep 26, 2018 1:33 pm

meal Delta 27 / ATL - ICN 12:49 AM departure

Patience please - I don't quite understand the definitive meal thread:confused:If my flight departs at 12:49 am, what meals will be served? I am assuming not a dinner at 1:30 am! thanks

Grouchy Sep 26, 2018 1:49 pm

If you click on your trips you will see something like:

Meal Services: Dinner, Lunch, Premium Snacks, Drinks
or

Meal Services: Dinner, Breakfast, Premium Snacks, Drinks

for your flights

suec1 Sep 26, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, I do see that but was thinking they are not really going to serve a dinner at 1:30 in the morning! I was hoping for some info from a person who had taken the flight. Thanks!

DL-Don Sep 26, 2018 2:17 pm

I'm heading to Incheon from ATL in mid-October. For that post midnight departure, it says:

Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Drinks, Premium Snacks

Do the Delta in-flight meal scheduling idiots really think people are going to eat dinner at 1:30 in the morning?

suec1 Sep 26, 2018 3:06 pm

DL Don - if no one else gives an "in person" report, please post when you get back. I will be in the semi-cattle class - premium select? I'm thinking you will be upfront but maybe you can still get an idea of the meal timings. Thanks

flying_donkeys12 Sep 26, 2018 3:58 pm

They will serve dinner. My suggestion is to eat at a nice restaurant if you have time before your flight. Skip the very underwhelming D1 meal and get some sleep.

CarmenOM Sep 26, 2018 6:20 pm

That meal at 1:30am ATL time will be at lunch time in Korea. It’s one way to start changing your body clock right away.

Often1 Sep 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by DL-Don (Post 30249262)
I'm heading to Incheon from ATL in mid-October. For that post midnight departure, it says:

Do the Delta in-flight meal scheduling idiots really think people are going to eat dinner at 1:30 in the morning?

Not just the DL "idiots" but the "idiots" at many other carriers around the world.

It's a good idea to start getting your body used to its destination schedule. Lunch & dinner are roughly the same meal, but somebody else who thinks they understand what works best would then criticize DL for calling it "lunch" at 01:30.

Many will, of course, skip the meal and sleep, but those who eat will eat the dinner.

No good deed goes unpunished.

mayhem Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

Nothing to do with body clock. The only reason why they give you the biggest meal shortly into the flight is so that you are well fed and quiet for (most of) the rest of the flight.

UVAhoo06 Sep 26, 2018 8:13 pm

In my experience, D1 meals have been okay to not-so-great. I ordered the Korean Meal on this flight. Has anyone tried it? While I don’t expect it to be as good as the Japanese meal, it seems like it should be better than the regular D1 options.

Skystreak Sep 26, 2018 9:37 pm

I just flew this route and you do get a full dinner. There is also a mid flight meal a snack and a breakfast. It’s such a long flight that you don’t have to worry about finding time to sleep or having enough to eat.

Skystreak Sep 26, 2018 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06 (Post 30250359)
In my experience, D1 meals have been okay to not-so-great. I ordered the Korean Meal on this flight. Has anyone tried it? While I don’t expect it to be as good as the Japanese meal, it seems like it should be better than the regular D1 options.

I had the Korean meal and it was from a local Atlanta restaurant and was quite good. Short ribs and some fish soup.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...34980d34d.jpeg

flyerCO Sep 26, 2018 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by suec1 (Post 30249468)
DL Don - if no one else gives an "in person" report, please post when you get back. I will be in the semi-cattle class - premium select? I'm thinking you will be upfront but maybe you can still get an idea of the meal timings. Thanks

DL always serves the main meal right after takeoff. In fact just about all airlines do. Not sure why you can't believe a common practice across airlines. Plenty of passengers will be connecting and have been up for 4+ hours with no meal.

ATOBTTR Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by DL-Don (Post 30249262)

This is hardly abnormal. In fact in many ways I find it helps me begin adjusting my body clock to the new time zone on the westbound redeyes, at least if in J. Flights to Australia from the West Coast usually leave late (around midnight). On flights to Australia, dinner is served after takeoff, which from the time it’s actually served until you finish is about 2-3 hours into the flight, forcing me to stay up and fall asleep as close as possible to a more normal “bedtime hour” at the destination Sometime after dinner and dessert, then head to sleep for about 7-8 hours. Not long after waking up, breakfast is served and then you’re landing at a normal morning hour at the destination. This is how it went for me when I flew LAX-BNE on VA and I had very little jet lag at all upon arrival (less than I feel going eastbound in the US and trying to adjust my body clock to the earlier wake up call).

As another example on that same trip I flew AKL-SIN on NZ, which departed AKL at 1AM and arrived at SIN around 6 AM. Dinner was served after takeoff from AKL on that flight.

MSPeconomist Sep 27, 2018 5:46 am

Don't forget that there's always the option to skip meal or to request that it be served to you all at once, on one tray, so that you can eat more quickly and gon to sleep.