Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Relo to GA - hoping for ATL advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dmac7273
I also recommend Park N Fly. There are two lots and I use the Park N Fly Plus service which is normally $13.25/day for covered parking. If you are a Costco member, you can pick up vouchers there that make covered parking $8/day.

I like MARTA also, but it does take about an hour to travel from North Springs to ATL, which often can be longer than driving to the airport if there is no traffic. If you're going at peak traffic time, take MARTA.
I use Park 'N Fly Plus as well. Good tip on Costco for the vouchers. I used to enjoy that there was a 20% coupon in Sky magazine but haven't seen that in some time.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
You are moving to the worse part of metro Atlanta, pure traffic hell.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by estedman
Honestly, estedman is telling it like it is...
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by estedman
This.

OP didn't say how far north of the MARTA North Springs station he/she'd be, but many of those communities are about the same travel-time to CHA as they are to ATL. For example, Canton, GA, is 90 miles of free-flowing highway to CHA or 52 miles of stop-and-go traffic from ATL.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
To give you an idea on travel...

I live in Decatur, so straight line distance to the airport isn't bad.

Off-hours (before 7a or after 7p weekdays, most of the weekend), it takes me 20 minutes to drive to ATL. During the rest of the time it takes me closer to 40.

If I am flying for two overnights or less, I will dive and park in the daily lot on the North side.... if more than 2 nights, I tend to take MARTA. Just like if my flights are midday during the week, I will take MARTA.

Other hints... hmmm.... I personally like the Daily lots. It's not horribly more than economy. If I am taking Uber, I try to take it from the international terminal since domestic terminal requires you to walk a LOOONNNGGG way to the economy lot.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
This.

OP didn't say how far north of the MARTA North Springs station he/she'd be, but many of those communities are about the same travel-time to CHA as they are to ATL. For example, Canton, GA, is 90 miles of free-flowing highway to CHA or 52 miles of stop-and-go traffic from ATL.
THIS. CHA is your friend. And 500 extra MQMs usually for about the same price as ATL flight. CHA is a small airport. 5 gates. Very Friendly people. Rarely a security line wait more than 5 minutes. Limited air side amenities but clean bathrooms and a restaurant/bar. What more does one need?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:44 pm

Have lived in the ATL area for about 8 years now. Hoping to relocate out of here within the next year and a half. Moved to Marietta when we first got here, nice area but as previous posters have said the traffic north of the city is brutal. Stop and go everywhere, 11:30 on a Tuesday night and all 8 lanes going thru downtown are at a stand still. And be aware that pretty much every day there will be an accident either on 285, the connector, GA 400 or 75/85. These accidents will usually involve a semi and numerous lane closures. We moved south of the city a few years ago and commuting is much easier. Not as much to do entertainment wise but easier to get to work and home. Nice city but just too much of a mess.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum Elite, DL PM (MM)
I've pretty much given up on MARTA, used to use it regularly for airport travel but after the last few trips of being constantly hit up for $ and then the guy who decided to drink mouth wash from the bottle, and the guy who decided it was a good idea to take his crack (could have been meth) have turned me off (both occurring int he middle of the day). I've gone to the UBER/Lyft or the economy parking on-site.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mridley2

THIS. CHA is your friend. And 500 extra MQMs usually for about the same price as ATL flight. CHA is a small airport. 5 gates. Very Friendly people. Rarely a security line wait more than 5 minutes. Limited air side amenities but clean bathrooms and a restaurant/bar. What more does one need?
If OP lives up the 400 corridor (vs. 75), as I might suspect given the reference to North Springs, wouldn't getting to CHA prove a bit of an ordeal potentially involving either lots of slower surface streets and/or 285? And of course if they're up 85, even more so.

I live on the north side but ITP. Yes, downtown connector gets packed at all times of day but I've found that it adds maybe 15-20 mins to my trip to the airport even at its worst. OTOH when I lived in Marietta, I could be adding an hour just to get from Delk Rd. to 285.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
If OP lives up the 400 corridor (vs. 75), as I might suspect given the reference to North Springs, wouldn't getting to CHA prove a bit of an ordeal potentially involving either lots of slower surface streets and/or 285? And of course if they're up 85, even more so.

I live on the north side but ITP. Yes, downtown connector gets packed at all times of day but I've found that it adds maybe 15-20 mins to my trip to the airport even at its worst. OTOH when I lived in Marietta, I could be adding an hour just to get from Delk Rd. to 285.
potentially yes but OP didnt mention specific area. But if near 75 its a straight shot up 75 to CHA. Northbound traffic approaching Chattanooga area can be slow during rush hour. But most of that traffic is around the 75/24 split. Once past that its usually smooth sailing to CHA.
if near 400 corridor I would definitely recommend Uber or park n ride at North Springs MARTA. I prefer public transport and MARTA is just fine. Cleaner than NYC subway by a mile.
gooselee likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:15 am

potentially yes but OP didnt mention specific area. But if near 75 its a straight shot up 75 to CHA. Northbound traffic approaching Chattanooga area can be slow during rush hour. But most of that traffic is around the 75/24 split. Once past that its usually smooth sailing to CHA.
if near 400 corridor I would definitely recommend Uber or park n ride at North Springs MARTA. I prefer public transport and MARTA is just fine. Cleaner than NYC subway by a mile.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For the 400-corridor, look at Roswell: it's a 70-minute trip to ATL, if one drives to the North Springs Station and rides MARTA from there. Once the train arrives at ATL, it's another 10-minutes to ride the elevator down to the platform and walk to the check-in counter.....so its an 80 minute trip, Roswell to ATL check-in line...... meanwhile, driving Roswell to CHA is a 90-minute trip.

People on the 85-corridor can consider GSP -- it's 90-minutes from Braselton, while Braselton to ATL is a 70-minutes from there, going via 285.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mridley2
Northbound traffic approaching Chattanooga area can be slow during rush hour. But most of that traffic is around the 75/24 split. Once past that its usually smooth sailing to CHA.
Don't tell anyone else this, but you can get off I-75 at the exit before it merges into I-24 and use surface streets to CHA.
And MARTA's trains even have designated luggage areas on them!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
For the 400-corridor, look at Roswell: it's a 70-minute trip to ATL, if one drives to the North Springs Station and rides MARTA from there. Once the train arrives at ATL, it's another 10-minutes to ride the elevator down to the platform and walk to the check-in counter.....so its an 80 minute trip, Roswell to ATL check-in line...... meanwhile, driving Roswell to CHA is a 90-minute trip.

People on the 85-corridor can consider GSP -- it's 90-minutes from Braselton, while Braselton to ATL is a 70-minutes from there, going via 285.
I'd contend that a) the walk from the MARTA station to check in or TSA isn't that long and b) if driving, it's certainly no longer than finding parking and walking in from the parking deck or riding a shuttle from a remote lot.

Uber/Lyft with curbside drop-off, however...that really saves some time IME.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:12 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'd contend that a) the walk from the MARTA station to check in or TSA isn't that long
of course it isn't, people constantly massively overestimate the time it takes to do things at the airport (cf. TSA lines)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.